Will the battle tank become obsolete?

Canada played that game, Retired the Leo 1 C2, then we rolled into afghanistan. We had to lease Leo 2'S A6M from the dutch. Then end up buying A4's.

And thanks to that numbnuts Duncan Sandy's white paper stating that all future aircraft will be unmanned, Canada scraped the AVRO Arrow, an aircraft far ahead of its time and better than anything in the air at that time.

Canada isn't alone. Britain has retired all the Harriers, which means that the Royal Navy no longer has an air cover capability. I sometimes wonder who's side governments are really on.

Last edited:
Tanks are obsolete ? Cause we all know how well seizing and holding ground soley from the air went ...

Last edited:
Tanks seize ground, they can't however, hold ground, on their own.
The tactics will change, but the tank is here for a little while yet.
I think the emphasis, certainly from the British point of view, has changed.
As there are as many reccy regts, as there are CH2 Regiments now.

Britain has retired all the Harriers, which means that the Royal Navy no longer has an air cover capability. I sometimes wonder who's side governments are really on.

Crazy decision!

We sold all those Harriers to the US, who still see them as a viable option. They are stripping them all down for parts! Sad sad end to the jets we'd only just spent millions on refitting!

The decision to get rid of the Harriers and the aircraft carrier Ark Royal leaves the Royal Navy without a carrier able to operate strike aircraft until the second of two new carriers enters service in 2020!!!!! :shock:

All done in the name of saving money! It'll actualky cost more in the long run! :rolleyes:

And IF those carriers enter service, what aircraft are going to going to operate off of them?

The stupidity of the British government knows no bounds.

And IF those carriers enter service, what aircraft are going to going to operate off of them?

The stupidity of the British government knows no bounds.

There won't be catapults or arrester gear (in order to save money) on the new carriers. This means that the only jets able to fly from the decks will be the F-35B supersonic stealth jumpjets. We can't afford any new jets!!!!

It was revealed a few days ago that radar technology which warns commanders of incoming enemy warplanes and missiles may not be ready until five years after the first of the £7 billion warships enters service in 2017. The ageing Sea King helicopters (which currently provide the fleet’s Airborne Early Warning (AEW) system) will be retired in 2016. The Sea King replacements could be delayed until 2022. We had no AEW systems during The Falklands. The result? We lost 5 ships...

There won't be catapults or arrester gear (in order to save money) on the new carriers. This means that the only jets able to fly from the decks will be the F-35B supersonic stealth jumpjets. We can't afford any new jets!!!!

It was revealed a few days ago that radar technology which warns commanders of incoming enemy warplanes and missiles may not be ready until five years after the first of the £7 billion warships enters service in 2017. The ageing Sea King helicopters (which currently provide the fleet’s Airborne Early Warning (AEW) system) will be retired in 2016. The Sea King replacements could be delayed until 2022. We had no AEW systems during The Falklands. The result? We lost 5 ships...

The dozy bastards never cease to amaze me how stupid they are. Britain last week paid President Zuma (SA's numbnut president) £19 million pounds, Zuma spent £17.5 million upgrading his palace. Its reasons like this that Britain cannot afford to buy new aircraft.

Tanks are obsolete. In fact airplanes should also be obsolete if right now a developed nation started to divert funding from aircraft and put it towards ground based missile technology. Need some recon of an area? Use a satellite. Got the recon? Attack hostile area with precision guided munitions from ground based missile system. Job done.

Missile platforms is where the pie is. They could do it all making everything obsolete.

Finally why would you need to hold an area? It's not about holding an area. It's about not letting the enemy hold an area. Achieve that and you just won the war.

Um...No.

That's an extremely expensive proposal. The battle tracking capability would have to be enormous to track every single Sig Act that needed missiles to take out targets throughout a battle space. You're making a time old mistake of assuming that we can control the ground from the air. The bottom line is that after all the high speed low drag gizmos are used to prosecute a decisive action on the ground...you will ALWAYS need ground forces to occupy that ground. A missile can't clear miles of trenchline. A missile can't determine if enemy combatants are occupying a building. A missile can't loiter over a battlefield giving timely, accurate, consistent ground support.

Tank support is crucial to successful large combat operations. Close air support is just as crucial. It's the combined arms capability that's makes armies utterly devastating, these missiles you speak of are just tools to help accomplish this effect.

But does this assessment take into account the ever growing number of UGV's being developed, isn't it possible that the future MBT may be a UGV about half the size, for example isn't the US Army looking into a UGV Stryker option plus there are also the autonomous vehicles like the Crusher.

Last edited:
coming to a battlefield near you

theverge7_2040_verge_super_wide.jpg

you know, only a *tanker* can see beauty in a tank...... this Merkava just looks mean..

24zt.jpg

long cry from my old Sheridan

m551tank.jpg

To be honest mate, you wouldn't get me inside a tank for all the tea in China.
look at it this way...... your shirt doesn't stop schit and a slingshot can hurt you... my shirt (while in the Cav) was 2-3 inches thick... and took a bigger slingshot to hurt me...... sometimes the badguys had one, most times he did not, and if you don't you best not mess with it or a whoooooooooooole bunch of pee is gonna come down.

now, that said, as for being inside of one....... I did not like the turret. It is akin to some Navy guy down in the boiler room when schit hits the fan... I was calmer either as a gunner on an ACAV or a driver of the M551 - at least I could *see* what was happening - that had a calming affect on me.

another upside? We have a few hundred horses to carry our stuff, and stuff includes (usually) a cooler, with ice....... a good bartering chip when them pesky infantryman came along for a ride... we treated them fairly of course, trust me.
angel-smiley-021.gif

when I came home we were shown a film of an A-10 chewing up an M-48, My little Sheridan hats .50, was a real eye opener - went Infantry soon after, at least there is always a hole to jump into...

BUT HEY!!! like a good woman, once tanks get into your blood

look at it this way...... your shirt doesn't stop schit and a slingshot can hurt you... my shirt (while in the Cav) was 2-3 inches thick... and took a bigger slingshot to hurt me...... sometimes the badguys had one, most times he did not, and if you don't you best not mess with it or a whoooooooooooole bunch of pee is gonna come down.

now, that said, as for being inside of one....... I did not like the turret. It is akin to some Navy guy down in the boiler room when schit hits the fan... I was calmer either as a gunner on an ACAV or a driver of the M551 - at least I could *see* what was happening - that had a calming affect on me.

another upside? We have a few hundred horses to carry our stuff, and stuff includes (usually) a cooler, with ice....... a good bartering chip when them pesky infantryman came along for a ride... we treated them fairly of course, trust me.
angel-smiley-021.gif

when I came home we were shown a film of an A-10 chewing up an M-48, My little Sheridan hats .50, was a real eye opener - went Infantry soon after, at least there is always a hole to jump into...

BUT HEY!!! like a good woman, once tanks get into your blood

When I was being a sneaky bugger you wouldn't hear me, a bloody great tank can be heard miles away.

When I was being a sneaky bugger you wouldn't hear me, a bloody great tank can be heard miles away.

744px-Armored_cavalry_assault_vehic.jpg

when in Vietnam I was a gunner on one of these (ACAV) we were the armored recon element of the unit I was with... (short version - bait). We worked in two or three track elements with a few miles between us; yepper you are correct, the bad guys heard us coming and is why we tried to have lots of open space between us and the jungle when set up at night. 1 M2 and 2 M60's and around 10.000 rounds of amunition brings a lot of smoke... ie, we weren't afraid to shoot the place up if the bad guys got frisky.

sometimes the bad guys didn't play fair and had some BIGAZZ guns....... pucker factor became quite high in those times... but that was the the exception and not the rule.

hearing them come over your own radio net got some attention :-o - THAT valley belonged to him and he wasn't afraid to claim ownership. HATED making the turn to take us into there..

744px-Armored_cavalry_assault_vehic.jpg

when in Vietnam I was a gunner on one of these (ACAV) we were the armored recon element of the unit I was with... (short version - bait). We worked in two or three track elements with a few miles between us; yepper you are correct, the bad guys heard us coming and is why we tried to have lots of open space between us and the jungle when set up at night. 1 M2 and 2 M60's and around 10.000 rounds of amunition brings a lot of smoke... ie, we weren't afraid to shoot the place up if the bad guys got frisky.

sometimes the bad guys didn't play fair and had some BIGAZZ guns....... pucker factor became quite high in those times... but that was the the exception and not the rule.

hearing them come over your own radio net got some attention :-o - THAT valley belonged to him and he wasn't afraid to claim ownership. HATED making the turn to take us into there..

You're a braver man then I Gungadin.

Back