Will the battle tank become obsolete? - Page 11




 
--
 
October 18th, 2008  
LeMask
 
Bacara, following my limited knowledge, the Javelin missile cost less than 200k $ ... Something around 100.000$

And with Tandem Warheads the reactive armor can be bypassed.
And about the active defenses... They have their limits. I dont trust them...

If someone can give us some insights about these active defenses?
October 18th, 2008  
senojekips
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMask
Bacara, following my limited knowledge, the Javelin missile cost less than 200k $ ... Something around 100.000$

And with Tandem Warheads the reactive armor can be bypassed.
And about the active defenses... They have their limits. I dont trust them...

If someone can give us some insights about these active defenses?
No doubt there is already a weapon either in use or on the drawing board to defeat this. e.g a tandem missile with a "target", and warhead following too close for the armour radar to react. It's very little different to the tandem warhead idea.

Active armour relies on doppler radar and that I have no doubt could be easily foiled, maybe even fooled into discharging most or all of the active armour in one go. EW has been doing this type of thing for over 40 years.
October 18th, 2008  
Topmaul
 
 
unmanned tanks what happens when the enemy hacks you system and turns your robot tanks against you? Same with unmanned aircraft?
--
October 18th, 2008  
BritinBritain
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMask
I remember a documentary about WWII. they said that the Germans used some AA guns to hit tanks... and that the high velocity rounds were perfect to tear through armor.
An interesting story told to me by one of my uncle's who served in North Africa with the Long Range Desert Group.

An anti tank gun was captured from the German Afrika Korps, on closer examination it was found to be a British Anti Aircraft gun (I cant remember if he mentioned if it was a 3.7 or 4.7) fitted to an anti tank mounting. When serial numbers were checked it appears the gun was exported to Russia, who then converted the gun to anti tank role. The gun was captured by the Germans and sent to North Africa. The British had a very good anti tank gun without realising it!
October 18th, 2008  
SHERMAN
 
 
Quote:
No doubt there is already a weapon either in use or on the drawing board to defeat this. e.g a tandem missile with a "target", and warhead following too close for the armour radar to react. It's very little different to the tandem warhead idea.
The fact is that since armor existed, in any form(including knights) there were weapons made to counter it. There is a swing that leans towards armor somtimes and towards projectiles at other times. It will take time for reactive protection to be defeated by viable/operational weapons, and than someone will make better protection. In any situation, your not sopposed to rely on your armor stopping anti-tank projectiles. The idea is and always will be:
Dont see me-If you see me, dont be able to shoot at me-If you shoot at me, dont be able to hit me-if you hit me, dont penetrate me- and last but not least:if you penetrate me, dont kill me.
November 20th, 2008  
Alexin_Cobra
 
 

Topic: know this


Before Operation Iraqi Freedom the Army was planning to phase out the tank all to gether and use lighter vehicles like the Stryker and LAV. After encountering many types of IED's and EFP's the tank wast the only vehicle to survive most attacks. Plus many of the insurgeants are affraid of the Tanks and Bradleys versus the Hmmv's, Strykers and other wheeled vehicles. Now the Army will keep the M1 series Tank and just add upgrades to compensate for the new environments on the battlefield.
November 26th, 2008  
Rorke
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
Many around the world now say that tanks are irrelevent, a relic of the cold war...In Israel there are rumors that the Merkava project was completely scraped....Do you think the tank is at its end?
Yes they are rumors, the Israeli military though clings to its tanks like there's no tomorrow and for a good reason.

Untill the military finds an alternative to a mobile bunker with a large boomstick i dont see the tanks going anywhere.
November 26th, 2008  
Alexin_Cobra
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorke
Yes they are rumors, the Israeli military though clings to its tanks like there's no tomorrow and for a good reason.

Untill the military finds an alternative to a mobile bunker with a large boomstick i dont see the tanks going anywhere.
I think Venezuela with be nexrt to start a war with the US. They biding for Russians to sell them weapons and build a nuclear reactor for them. Then they will wanrt to aquire nuclear missiles.
November 26th, 2008  
Rorke
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexin_Cobra
I think Venezuela with be nexrt to start a war with the US. They biding for Russians to sell them weapons and build a nuclear reactor for them. Then they will wanrt to aquire nuclear missiles.
Actually as far as South America is concerned its far more likely that when US falls from its position as a worlds hegemony Brasil will attempt to dominate the region and thats where all the wars will happen.

Even Chavez is not stupid enough to start a war with US and definitely not a nuke-fest.
November 28th, 2008  
LeMask
 
Why you fear Chavez and Venezuella so much?

The people in Venezuela want Chavez as its leader... They dont like the US domination of the world.

All of this is cool. Chavez did nationalise the oil compagnies to let the people profit from the wealth of their own soil... The US oil compagnies make less benefits, sure. But hey, they owe us anything...

It's their country, their oil... They do whatever they want with it.

I dont understand how you can hate Chavez...
 


Similar Topics
Main Battle Tank Battle
US main battle tank destroyed in southern Iraq
What's your MOS (Military Occupational Specialty)?
I want Redleg banned.
Yom Kippur war - Shmuel Askarov story