Will Australia be a Super Power?

AUSTRALIA WILL BE A SUPERPOWER IN THIS CENTURY ?

• NO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CAN'T TELL

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I would have to so a BIG NO to this. Most people down here dont wont to be regarded as a Super Power why I am not sure. In the region we do play a big part in regards to Security and so on.

Warshark42: we dont have nukes, why I hear you ask well its a political thing.

But we still have cold beer and great beaches with plenty of sun well most of the time.

scott.moore said:
I would have to so a BIG NO to this. Most people down here dont wont to be regarded as a Super Power why I am not sure. In the region we do play a big part in regards to Security and so on.

Warshark42: we dont have nukes, why I hear you ask well its a political thing.

But we still have cold beer and great beaches with plenty of sun well most of the time.

You forgot the beautiful women Mister Moore :D

Nah I don't reckon we wanna be a "super power", we can be a voice of reason and a security force in the region (eg. Malaya, East Timor, Solomon Islands), but it's too much hassle to bother with the whole super power thing. We are happy having a good strong economy, stable government, great weather, great life style, decent defence force etc etc. It's true that we are too big, and have too few people to make it worthwhile, but as for the claim we don't have enough resources, that is not at all true. Australia could be completely self sustaining- if that didn't destroy foreign relations.

And as for Australia not getting many medals or honours etc :?
I'm not sure what your on about EagleStrike. The Australian defence force has a strong history of doing things right the first time, and doing them well (El Alemain, The Somme, Long Tan *citation from U.S. President*, Kapyong, Tobruk, Kokoda Trail, the list goes on).... except Gallipoli, that was a big blunder.
We are not very well known for our actions in recent conflicts because we keep very low key about them and try and offend as few people as possible, whilst getting things done to the best level possible.[/quote]

Australia's military has a rich history. You just have to pay attention really. In every major war, Australia was there.

D*mn, vote wrong...suppose to be yes

Anyway, I believe the time will come. What australia need now is to multiply their population. This is important.

AussieNick said:
Nah I don't reckon we wanna be a "super power", we can be a voice of reason and a security force in the region (eg. Malaya, East Timor, Solomon Islands), but it's too much hassle to bother with the whole super power thing. We are happy having a good strong economy, stable government, great weather, great life style, decent defence force etc etc. It's true that we are too big, and have too few people to make it worthwhile, but as for the claim we don't have enough resources, that is not at all true. Australia could be completely self sustaining- if that didn't destroy foreign relations.

And as for Australia not getting many medals or honours etc :?
I'm not sure what your on about EagleStrike. The Australian defence force has a strong history of doing things right the first time, and doing them well (El Alemain, The Somme, Long Tan *citation from U.S. President*, Kapyong, Tobruk, Kokoda Trail, the list goes on).... except Gallipoli, that was a big blunder.
We are not very well known for our actions in recent conflicts because we keep very low key about them and try and offend as few people as possible, whilst getting things done to the best level possible.
[/quote]

I agree with my "cousin" Nick. It seems that very few US people know much about this place, its politics, economics and history. Some people should read my post called "the Myth of the Great War" ( a bit of self advertising never hurt anyone).

Population is too small and would take many generations to grow to superpower proportions if at all. Our water resources are already a major issue and will become a bigger one if our present population of 20,000,000 doubles for example.

I am not really sure what is meant by "superpower". Does it mean nuclear weapons? Being able to kickarse more easily?

I would like Australia to be a strong regional player in Asia, not a superpower, and maintain strong military and economic ties with the US.

I think some of you guys better come down and visit us. There's plenty of cold beer at my place!

nah, i dont think we will be a superpower, i dont think we have the drive to be. we are happy how we are, we dont feel that we have to prove ourselves to anyone. we are happy being a nice, relatively quiet island nation who help out our allies when they need it
while we do have the size, we do not have the sheer numbers or people or the resources..
we are a western nation but we are slightly displaced from other western countries with large populations, this means we are (or at least should be) affirming relations with our neighbours. no offense, the british and the americans are good friends, but we have to work on good relations with our neighbours first

that said, Australia is a superpower when it comes to cricket, i cant wait till we win the Ashes... AGAIN ;p

aussiejohn said:
I would like Australia to be a strong regional player in Asia, not a superpower, and maintain strong military and economic ties with the US.

I believe you are getting your wish

U.S. to test weapons in Australia "smart bombs Down Under"
CNN Thursday, November 4, 2004

SYDNEY, Australia (CNN) -- Australia's defense alliance with the United States may soon reach a new level with plans for the Pentagon to test new-generation weapons, including smart bombs, Down Under. News reports in Australia Friday said Canberra and Washington were working on a defense training agreement which included multi-million dollar upgrades of Australian defense facilities and the weapons testing. Australia and the U.S. have been developing ever closer militiary ties in the past decade under the auspices of the ANZUS defense treaty which was developed more than 50 years ago...
READ MORE

Will Australia be a superpower? Probably not. They really dont need to. They already have everything you could want.

1. Fosters Lager
2. Great surfing and beaches
3. Hot women!
4. Fosters Lager
5. Did I already say Fosters?
6. Kangaroos and Tasmanian Devils

Ps.. whoever made the comment on Australias defense forces should do some reading. Australia has been in all the big and small wars and thier troops have fought remarkably. The professionalism in thier military is bar none. I have served with some aussies in Bosnia and it was a pleasure.

I don't get the whole fuss about the US testing weapons in Australia. They've been using new gear in Shoal Water Bay every year basically, and they let us test our new gear when we go and do training exercises in the states.

Hey, we let the Brits test nukes, so what the fuss about a couple of conventionals. I think it's just because some anti-defence left wing pinkos got a bit up tight about US presence in Australia. I hate to say it, but every few years we have as many as 20,000 US troops come and train on exercise with us.

Sorry to all the non-australian people on the forum, you probably wont have heard anything of this, but it's been brought up a fair bit over the last days in the Aussie media.

Back