Will the Army move my family?

Toyuzu

My recruiter told me that the Army would move us to wherever we get stationed. I didn't ask too many specific questions in that area, so I figured I would ask for confirmation here from those who know.

Is it true? Will they arrive at my house with trucks ready to load? Is that something they do only for officers, or is there a minimum service time to qualify?

I'm just trying to cover all my bases before I leave for basic so my wife knows what to expect. If we will be responsible to move ourselves to our first base assignment, I need to be able to plan for that financially. Thanks in advance for the info! 8)

Yes the military will move your gear for you. You will need to pack it up and load it on the trucks TMO (Travel Management Office) will then transport your gear to your new home. You will then offload it and they will pick up the containers. I personally am not sure of the details as I have never let the government move me. Something about trusting my life posessions to strangers...

You can also do a DITY (Do It Yourself) move. The government pays you a certain maximum amount to help cover costs to move yourself. This is usually based upon rank. They give you so many dollars for so many pounds. I did a DITY move from LA to NC. The government paid me $1500.00. I used that to pay for the moving truck, gas, packing equipment, overnight stay in a motel room, food on the road, and cleaning supplies and such for the house I moved out of and to replace the perishable food items.

This at least is how the Marine Corps does it.

Thanks. I think given current fuel prices I'll let the Army do it for me. I doubt the DITY option would pay enough to cover a fuel-guzzling U-haul or the like for any significant distance.

It won't be until your first duty station - After Basic, AIT, and Jump School. When you get to your first unit after you are inprocessed you can talk to Transportation and they will schedule something for you. If you are coming to Bragg (good chance) they can put you up on post or you can get off post housing - I'd recommend off post housing if you don't mind making the trip to work - but contact me in a PM and I'll tell you more.

Back