Will Anyone Surpass the USA in invention?

godofthunder9010

There are many categories that the USA leads the world in. Obesity for one. :lol:

One item is invention. Inventing new concepts, whether for peacetime or wartime or anything inbetween, the USA still probably leads in this category. Case in point, the United States invented Stealth Technology that the world is now chasing. TONS more examples, but you get the idea.

The USA is probably going to be surpassed in economic output. Standard of living, the USA is already behind several nations. Can anyone thing of a plan with which to surpass the USA in invention and new ideas? Even nations like Japan and Germany borrow heavily from US inventions. The USA is just an excellent climate for making inverntors.

Thoughts everyone??

Only Time will tell, but there are a few countries slowly catching up......
NOBODY WILL BE ABLE TO CATCH UP TO AMERICA'S CRIME RATE :shock:

Thats what Mcdonalds and Chinese Food will do to you, and as technology gets better it seems more people get more lazzier.... Like the vaccum that does it by itself. WOW

Well here's the thing.
America has the better capacity to pay and employ experts. This, combined with excellent technical and engineering universities just naturally makes America the hub of a lot of talented people.
Europe's got good schools too, though their pay capability isn't as high... and I know of many Europeans who want to go and work in America, but not seen many Americans wanting to go work in Europe.
Also I know of many Koreans going over to make more money in the US... in general, a lot of the world suffers from brain drain because of America's pay power. This is what gives America the edge.

Sweden "struggles" with this on a daily basis - They are loosing more and more of our Masters of Engineering, Researchers, Super Surgeons, Dentists, you name it to the US. Nothing strange with that. They are doing the right thing. They are smart! :D

Cheers:
Doc.S
:viking:

I think the problem with Sweden and most European countries for that matter is that the policies of protecting workers in fact is not business friendly and in many cases, not even worker friendly (as France's high unemployment shows). This leads to expertise going abroad where the rewards of their work are higher.
The hard truth is that your country's top guns need to be rewarded to stay.

You know I find life in Europe more pleasant than life in America. With just a little more effort, I could totally see Europe hanging on to its best and brightest. They just have to realize the soft system has too many flaws and changes need to be rung.

I'm no Europe hater. Though I do dislike France because I feel they're making Europe less efficient in decision making processes. I want Europe to do better and I don't see them advancing under the current systems.

Brain drain and loss of the best scientists and engineers is just one of the major problems Europe faces.

More than that. Was discussing it with my brother. Lets take Japan for instance. They have surpassed the United States at taking tests in Science and Math, however American-educated kids are better with creative and abstract thought. Creative/abstract thought are the foundation of invention.

You think right the_13th_redneck Europe thing will not happen in my lifetime I think, so I am glad that the bright people leave sweden and other European countrys so they can do something for the world in the US. The foundings and the technology to make progress in any direction is all in the US or in countrys in close corporation with the US even if sweden have allot to contribute to the world I think the sunny days of Europe is gone for the next decades ahead. I think that the East and the US will be the future for any type of progress to be honest.

Cheers:
Doc.S

:viking:

Exactly, so for memorization and recall of facts, you want to hire Japanese. If you want new or different ideas, go American. That was the results of a study my brother ran across in one of his economics classes.

That is beginning to change though.
Take Korea for example. Guess what it's major strong selling point is right now? Show business. That's right. Movies and TV series are a huge hit and are big exports all around Asia so the strength in the Korean economy in fact has to do with a field that is all about creativity. Ironic huh?
I wouldn't say Japan's lacking invention. Just look at their ability to miniturize stuff. Not to mention the whole concept of the pocket portable music player is a purely Japanese invention. So they do invent. Just not all inventions are obvious.
America's strength again, is their ability to hold on to the best and brightest along with their ability to bring in the best and brightest from abroad. These guys that totally rock the exams and stuff... they're heading to America.

godofthunder9010 said:
Exactly, so for memorization and recall of facts, you want to hire Japanese. If you want new or different ideas, go American. That was the results of a study my brother ran across in one of his economics classes.

Of course USA will be surpassed in terms of Invention.
Just a question of time.

Last year there graduated more college students in China than in USA, for the first time. And more and more kids will enjoy colleges in coming years in China.

I think only China and India will overtake USA in terms of invention, may it need 50 years, no problem, 50 years is so short in our long history :twisted:

Well, in this category the United States controls its own destiny to a very large degree. Also, its a field that is frought with unpredictability. The USA has more or less dominated the field of non-military invension from early in the 20th century and continuing through till today. Military-wise, its very debateable -- the USA may or may not be the best, and may or may not have been the best, but always one of the best after WW2.

One item is invention. Inventing new concepts, whether for peacetime or wartime or anything inbetween, the USA still probably leads in this category. Case in point, the United States invented Stealth Technology that the world is now chasing. TONS more examples, but you get the idea.

This is a common misconception. Some may call it delusion of grandeur, I blame it on the fat content in fast food, clogging vital blood vessels.

You can't narrow scientific progress down to a country, not anymore. Even if you did, maybe by criteria such as number of registered patents, then you wouldn't find America to be Nr.1 - sorry man....

This is nicely illustrated on the example of Stealth Tech:

In the nineteenth century, Scottish physicist James Clerk Maxwell developed a series of mathematical formulas to predict how electromagnetic radiation would scatter when reflected from a specific geometric shape. His equations were later refined by the German scientist, Arnold Johannes Sommerfield. But for a long time, even after aircraft designers attempted to reduce radar signatures for aircraft like the U-2 and A-12 OXCART in the late 1950s, the biggest obstacle to success was the lack of theoretical models of how radar reflected off a surface. In the 1960s, Russian scientist Pyotr Ufimtsev began developing equations for predicting the reflection of electromagnetic waves from simple two-dimensional shapes. His work was regularly collected and translated into English and provided to U.S. scientists. By the early 1970s, a few U.S. scientists, mathematicians, and aircraft designers began to realize that it was possible to use these theories to design aircraft with substantially reduced radar signatures. Lockheed Aircraft, working under a contract to the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, soon began development of the F-117 stealth fighter.

Back