Wild Wild Afghanistan

Yossarian

Forum Resistance Leader
Okay I may be 47 flavors of stupid for posting this....and I am not trying to offend anyone here, if I did let me know, if I have broken any rules, please let me know, If I struck a sensitive chord anywhere, please let me know... Also I am not trying in anyway to infringe on OPSEC.

Alright, now that's out the way, here goes.......:-?

When looking at the situation taking place in the mountainous region of Afghanistan and the fighting and challenges faced by the coalition in this almost lawless and anarchic state...

It shows certain similarities to the frontier territories of the expanding U.S. in the 19th century.

Now, I am not going to compare the old west word for word with the situation, not even on a serious note. HOWEVER.

I am going to ask the milforum if you can compare it on a non serious note, a biggotted not politically correct western film from the 50s note.

Yes where the Native Americans are called "Indians".

This said here are set of questions, consider that you are putting in suggestions for a script on a black and white Afghan western.

Heres some questions:

Who are the "Indians"?

Who are the Cowboys?

We need some famous Coalition Gunslingers (Units or Individuals, false or real)

Where is Buffallo Bill's Wild Wild Khyber Valley Show?

Who is the Lone Ranger?

Who is High Ho Sliver?

What is the Afghanistan "Peace Maker" or modern presentation of the famous 1848 Six Shooter

What is the Coalitions Springfield Carbine? And what weapon is the all famous Winchester Repeater of the Moutainous Country?

Where are the "Indian Hide outs"?

Who are the robbers? Where are their seceret gang hidouts?

What are the saloons?

Where's Mexico?

And lastly but not least,

WHO THE HECK IS THE CALVARY! Riding in to save the day! And what is their horse?

:horsie:

You can post your unit, your gear or someone else's just post the question your answering or script parts you are donating.

Best wishes...

Last edited:
Fun idea.
Here are my answers.

Who are the "Indians"?
Taliban

Who are the Cowboys?
We are

We need some famous Coalition Gunslingers (Units or Individuals, false or real)
2 recce squadron. Who else ...! :viking:

Where is Buffallo Bill's Wild Wild Khyber Valley Show?
Anywhere in the Helmand Green Zone

Who is the Lone Ranger?
The XO Jesus (The Chaplain)

Who is High Ho Sliver?
The CIMIC Officer. Saw him frequently talking to the Chaplain

What is the Afghanistan "Peace Maker" or modern presentation of the famous 1848 Six Shooter
The A-10 Thunderbolt II

What is the Coalitions Springfield Carbine? And what weapon is the all famous Winchester Repeater of the Moutainous Country?
The C8A2 Carbine and the .50 Browning Machine Gun

Where are the "Indian Hide outs"?
The Afghan family compounds

Who are the robbers? Where are their seceret gang hidouts?
The drunken perverted sex offenders in the first squad. And they lived right next to us. :p

What are the saloons?
That I'd also like to know. We only had a “puff bar” where all you could get was non alcoholic beer :bang:

Where's Mexico?
Kandahar Air Base. There were many suspicious-looking individuals in that place. :confused:

WHO THE HECK IS THE CALVARY! Riding in to save the day! And what is their horse?
U.S. Army Aviation. And their horse is the AH-64Apache :thumb:

Who are the "Indians"? They are... They meaning Taliban and Violent Extremest Groups.

Who are the Cowboys? US and Coalition...

We need some famous Coalition Gunslingers (Units or Individuals, false or real) Yes we do... That's why is have information operations.

Where is Buffallo Bill's Wild Wild Khyber Valley Show? Not there.

Who is the Lone Ranger? Gen Petraeus

Who is High Ho Sliver? His staff

What is the Afghanistan "Peace Maker" or modern presentation of the famous 1848 Six Shooter... Information!

What is the Coalitions Springfield Carbine? And what weapon is the all famous Winchester Repeater of the Moutainous Country? AC130

Where are the "Indian Hide outs"? Among the people

WHO THE HECK IS THE CALVARY! Riding in to save the day! And what is their horse? There isn't one.....

Here is my rational on this... A lot of what goes on in that country has to do with information, influence and how things are perceived by the people that live there... as well as the western media.

If what we did to the Indians back in the day was flooded instantly into the information environment, then I don't think we would have been as successful in moving west as fast as we did. The Indians would have called the ACLU and CNN would have been there with cameras covering it instantly crying injustice for all... The information environment in Afghanistan today is what drives the train to success or fail.. Not guns and bullets, but information… who has it, who controls it and how it is used. If you win the people, you defeat the enemy.

Mr. Team Infidel that's precisely the type of rational I love to find on any world situation, and what makes it so.

I made this thread on a very very very far fetched and out there nowhere near sensible basis.

But I am very glad you stated that, it's the type of input I love get especially in the face of enemy supporting or inadvertly smypathetic news coverage.

Also having a clear idea of both sides of the situation can be very useful when you are looking to problem solve on pretty much anything, and am glad you pointed that out and reminded me.

I wouldn't mind starting a serious thread on the situation there, and am glad you brought it up.

But thread drift be darned, back to the silver screen and sricpt writing!

I actually talked about something like this before.
A Western set in Afghanistan.
Seems like the perfect setting for a modern Western.

Here is my rational on this... A lot of what goes on in that country has to do with information, influence and how things are perceived by the people that live there... as well as the western media.

If what we did to the Indians back in the day was flooded instantly into the information environment, then I don't think we would have been as successful in moving west as fast as we did. The Indians would have called the ACLU and CNN would have been there with cameras covering it instantly crying injustice for all... The information environment in Afghanistan today is what drives the train to success or fail.. Not guns and bullets, but information… who has it, who controls it and how it is used. If you win the people, you defeat the enemy.

Exactly!

Right now the TB has the upper hand. With our overwhelming firepower we rarely lose in combat. But in the information war the TB appear to hold the edge. Using FM transmitters, the Internet, distributing audio cassettes and threatening notes known as “night letters” they instill fear and obedience among the population and they have proven very effective at either cowing citizens or winning them over to their message of jihad.

To influence the public--and to win hearts and minds a new model of diplomacy is needed that combines elements of civilian and military approaches. We need to communicate more directly with locals in order to foster debate among Afghans and not preach Western values. The key is we've got to be first with the truth and that’s the challenge we face now.

Funny and sad at the same time...

But can we say that the horses are the humvees? I have a doubt, as it's a very mountainous area and that they are using helicopters very often.

But dont push the symetry too far, I dont like this idea of the white man (Western world) destroying a foreign culture they dont understand because they didnt invent the gunpowder (air superiority)...

Somewhat correct, on a serious note.

On a non serious note however.

Hence why it would be in black and white and with all the fuzzy an echoing qualities of a circa 1950s western.

Complete with character painted lunch pales and Red Ryder AK 47 BB rifles.

Maybe even a comic series for the Weekend Newspaper.

Dear Friends,

I read many many things about this wild wild Afghanistan... "who's the cowboy, who the indian", who's right / who's wrong... I am right... no shut up: I am right, you are wrong... and so on...

May I suggest something that can be useful for Afghanistan... and for us all?

Today, in the most important italian evening news, prime time, I watched an interview to an Italian Alpino Soldier (with the capital letters), Luca Barisonzi. Two months ago, he has been ambushed by a group of terrorists, together with his comrade Luca Sanna. Sanna, a sardinian like me, was killed; Barisonzi he's now in a wheelchair, undergoing surgery and physical rehabilitation, hoping that someday he can walk again.
He said: I decided to enlist in the army because I wanted to go in mission in Afghanistan and help the Afghani People. You must work very hard to reach your objective... I reached mine.

Now, I'm sure that as soon as Luca will be able to walk again (let's hope so), he'll ask to go back in Afghanistan.
I think that's what the Afghani need: not words, but facts and men and women who work with them, side by side, sharing the same destiny, chewing the same dirt, maybe dying together, working for a better future.

Today, is the 150th anniversary of the Unity of Italia. I admire the courage of this great Italian and great Soldier.

A big ciao everybody from Sardinia, Italia

It is a comparison between reality and fiction. What we know of the US old west is mostly a fabrication, first by eastern novelists who had never been to the west and then by Holywood, making cheap entertaining fantasies they could sell. Most western people in the old west were hard working people that simply were way too busy making edn meets to be involved in firefights. Most did not even own guns nor could they afford them. True, there were the ocassional quarrels resolved on the spot, because law enforcement did not reach that far, but we can see that today, even with law enforcement around.

Indians were mostly decimated by deceases brought by Europeans (Indians never had them and had no defences), not by firefights or 'indians wars', and even before the pioneer starting going west, the Indians were finished for the most parts, forced relocations did the rest. There was far more crime and violence in the 'civilized' eastern cities, than in the small communities of the old west.

Last edited:
hugojose, there is some truth in what you said... But we mostly think about the attitude toward the "indians".

"Indians" were civilized people. Primitive of course, more in control of their need to evolve and to expend beyond their world than the "white man". They had a few fights between tribes, but they werent organized like the Europeans who had a church, a strong state-nation concept,a huge history of empires etc etc...

And they were slaughtered by the advanced weapons of their less civilized new neighbors.

Some countries are "civilized" and powerful like the Japanese. The Samurai was a hightech and very sophisticated warrior. Maybe not in the industrial era... But that's another topic.

So right now, we have inferior civilizations that arent coherent, that arent strong etc... With advanced, large and powerful military forces.

And it's a very sad show... Primitive people who didnt have a real chance to prove their value slaughtered by people who dont understand them, who dont love them and who have purely low and basic projects in their lands...

You can sum it up to "I dont want you in my ideal world." And when the image of the ideal world is made by a simple minded person with no culture, no imagination... It's a plan for a real slaughter...

And it's the kind of ideas that goes around in the world to bite you in the ass later...

It is a comparison between reality and fiction. What we know of the US old west is mostly a fabrication, first by eastern novelists who had never been to the west and then by Holywood, making cheap entertaining fantasies they could sell. Most western people in the old west were hard working people that simply were way too busy making edn meets to be involved in firefights. Most did not even own guns nor could they afford them. True, there were the ocassional quarrels resolved on the spot, because law enforcement did not reach that far, but we can see that today, even with law enforcement around.

Indians were mostly decimated by deceases brought by Europeans (Indians never had them and had no defences), not by firefights or 'indians wars', and even before the pioneer starting going west, the Indians were finished for the most parts, forced relocations did the rest. There was far more crime and violence in the 'civilized' eastern cities, than in the small communities of the old west.

hugojose, there is some truth in what you said... But we mostly think about the attitude toward the "indians".

"Indians" were civilized people. Primitive of course, more in control of their need to evolve and to expend beyond their world than the "white man". They had a few fights between tribes, but they werent organized like the Europeans who had a church, a strong state-nation concept,a huge history of empires etc etc...

And they were slaughtered by the advanced weapons of their less civilized new neighbors.

Some countries are "civilized" and powerful like the Japanese. The Samurai was a hightech and very sophisticated warrior. Maybe not in the industrial era... But that's another topic.

So right now, we have inferior civilizations that arent coherent, that arent strong etc... With advanced, large and powerful military forces.

And it's a very sad show... Primitive people who didnt have a real chance to prove their value slaughtered by people who dont understand them, who dont love them and who have purely low and basic projects in their lands...

You can sum it up to "I dont want you in my ideal world." And when the image of the ideal world is made by a simple minded person with no culture, no imagination... It's a plan for a real slaughter...

And it's the kind of ideas that goes around in the world to bite you in the ass later...

Really? You two are gonna get spun up and debate the terms used as they relate to A'stan in a Western movie concept?

Yeah okay. Go on wid your bad selves.:sarc:

You can't put a social science of foriegn cultures essay on a lunch box, let alone get a girl friend at the lunch table carrying that thing.

Or see kids dressing up as the Lone Foerign Relations anaylist Proffessor for Halloween.

Black and white, simple questions here.

As for serious debate, I have offered to make a new thread or you can make one yourself, I would be more than happy to participate.

Good to go?

Back