• Right more often than wrong.

Votes: 23 82.1%
  • Wrong more often than right.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Always wrong.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Damien435

How realiable do you believe Wikipedia to be?

I personally find it to be very reliable, I used to make sure ti find another source but when Wikipedia kept working out for me I decided that there was no need to double check the figures.

Last edited:
More often than not right. But I don't take it to be gospel. Like most stuff on the net, check your sources more than once unless it comes from a sight like somethingsomething.gov.au for example.

Aye, what he said. You have to remember that ANYONE can post up anything to Wiki, you have to check the sources. Just to prove this some months back I submitted a completely bogus article about China claiming to have invented white people. It was up for two months before I sent email retracting it. Funny thing that. :)

Right more often than wrong, but I always check alternative sources as backup if it is a question of important information needed.

Right more often than wrong. I recently found a minor error in searching for an answer to a World War II Trivia question posted by Cooler King on the first use of napalm in World War II. I used the answer provided by Wikipedia which was July 22, 1944 @ Tinian. I found out that it was first used in France on July 17, 1944. I then went to Wikipedia and edited the entry with the correct date and posted the source of the information. Thus I believe the system does work.

Yes but don't try to use it as a source with any university papers, its still not accepted by any I have had dealings with.

Doody, or any of our uni students, have a different experience with this?

Hi,

Source:BBC News

Wikipedia survives research test

The free online resource Wikipedia is about as accurate on science as the Encyclopedia Britannica, a study shows.
The British journal Nature examined a range of scientific entries on both works of reference and found few differences in accuracy.

Wikipedia is produced by volunteers, who add entries and edit any page.

But it has been criticised for the correctness of entries, most recently over the biography of prominent US journalist John Seigenthaler.
Open approach

Wikipedia was founded in 2001 and has since grown to more than 1.8 million articles in 200 languages. Some 800,000 entries are in English.

It is based on wikis, open-source software which lets anyone fiddle with a webpage, anyone reading a subject entry can disagree, edit, add, delete, or replace the entry.

o.gif
start_quote_rb.gif
We're very pleased with the results and we're hoping it will focus people's attention on the overall level of our work, which is pretty good
end_quote_rb.gif

Jimmy Wales, Wikipedia founder

It relies on 13,000 volunteer contributors, many of whom are experts in a particular field, to edit previously submitted articles.

In order to test its reliability, Nature conducted a peer review of scientific entries on Wikipedia and the well-established Encyclopedia Britannica.

The reviewers were asked to check for errors, but were not told about the source of the information.

"Only eight serious errors, such as misinterpretations of important concepts, were detected in the pairs of articles reviewed, four from each encyclopedia," reported Nature.

"But reviewers also found many factual errors, omissions or misleading statements: 162 and 123 in Wikipedia and Britannica, respectively."

Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales welcomed the study.
"We're hoping it will focus people's attention on the overall level of our work, which is pretty good," he said.

Writing style

Nature said its reviewers found that Wikipedia entries were often poorly structured and confused.

The Encyclopedia Britannica declined to comment directly on the findings; but a spokesman highlighted the quality of the entries on the free resource.

"But it is not the case that errors creep in on an occasional basis or that a couple of articles are poorly written," Tom Panelas, director of corporate communications is quoted as saying in Nature.

"There are lots of articles in that condition. They need a good editor."
Wikipedia came under fire earlier this month from prominent US journalist John Seigenthaler.

The founding editorial director of USA Today attacked a Wikipedia entry that incorrectly named him as a suspect in the assassinations of president John F Kennedy and his brother, Robert.

The false information was the work of Tennessean Brian Chase, who said he was trying to trick a co-worker.

Wikipedia has responded to the criticisms by tightening up procedures.

Next month it plans to begin testing a new mechanism for reviewing the accuracy of its articles.

PEace
-=F_13=-

Last edited:
Turns out, that research wasn't exactly fair to Encyclopedia Britanica.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002885605_encyclofight24.html

Britannica defends its status

By Dave Carpenter
The Associated Press
CHICAGO — Encyclopædia Britannica has completed an exhaustive research article on an unlikely new topic: questions about its accuracy.
The publisher's verdict: It was wronged.
Firing back at an article in the science journal Nature that likened its accuracy to that of Wikipedia, the Internet site that lets anyone contribute, Britannica said in a 20-page statement this week that "almost everything about the journal's investigation ... was wrong and misleading."
It demanded a retraction.
The encyclopedia publisher, which has enjoyed an almost unassailed reputation for reliability since the 18th century, called Nature's research invalid, its study poorly carried out and its findings "so error-laden that it was completely without merit."
"The entire undertaking — from the study's methodology to the misleading way Nature 'spun' the story — was misconceived," Britannica said.
But the war of words didn't end there.
Nature, in a statement on its Web site that a spokeswoman said was written by Editor Phil Campbell, stood by the article despite Britannica's accusations of misrepresentation, sloppiness and indifference to scholarly standards.
The flap stems from Nature's online article Dec. 15 that, supposedly based on a side-by-side comparison of articles covering a broad swath of the scientific spectrum, said Wikipedia is about as accurate in covering scientific topics as Britannica.
The article, which has since been updated, differed from the normal practice in that it was "an expert-led investigation carried out by Nature" rather than a paper written by scientists and submitted to the journal for peer review. It also came out at a time Wikipedia was under criticism for high-profile errors in some entries.
Nature concluded such errors appear to be the exception rather than the rule.
Britannica refused comment at the time, instead responding this week.
Britannica spokesman Tom Panelas declined comment Thursday beyond the article on its Web site.

Back