Wife re-marrying after you die in combat?

--
Boots

November 11th, 2004  
Focus Fate

Topic: Wife re-marrying after you die in combat?

I'm engaged and joining the Marines and I got to thinking about what would happen to her in terms of marrying someone else if it was years after I were to die in combat. It's not like I've never thought about how I could die in combat. I know its a very real thing that can happen. But the first time for this. (A little background though, me and my fiance believe that once married we will be together for eternity. So if she got re-married to someone else obviously WE wouldn't be together for eternity.)

Now I've notice a lot of people in here who are Marines or Former Marines or anyother service for that matter have families. What do you think about this subject? Does it bother you when you think your wife might marry someone else? Have you talked to your wife about it in the past? I usually ALWAYS talk to my fiance about things that boteher me but this seems almost rude to ask her about because I DO want her to be happy, esspecially if I am gone. But it is something that bothers me. So just trying to get the opinions of the older people here. Thanks.
November 11th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

I will admit that my wife and I have yet to talk about that subject, but I am a little different than you because my wife is also in the military. So I guess I can ask myself if I would marry again if she was killed in Iraq.

It's a tough question I hope never to have to answer in real life. If I had to answer I would say yes, but it would take a lot of healing time before I could even go on a date.

It bothers me when widdowed wives of wars get married with in a few months of their husbands dying in combat. You have to wonder how true those wives really were.
November 11th, 2004  
Marksman

if i'd die in combat i would certanly want my wife to continue her life after me,but just to remember me
--
Boots
November 11th, 2004  
LIPS

When your dead your dead. Wouldnt your want your wife to be as happy as possible after you are gone because for her life must still go on.
November 11th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Yup after you die it's her decision.
Plus I think being married either as a junior officer or as junior enlisted or even junior NCO would be VERY difficult.
November 11th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Yup after you die it's her decision.
Plus I think being married either as a junior officer or as junior enlisted or even junior NCO would be VERY difficult.
why would it be difficult being married as lower enlisted, junior NCO or officer?

From what I have seen, it's easier to keep a marriage "happy" at those ranks. The higher up the chain you go, the more time you spend at work. After close of business formation, I get to go home as a Sergeant. My squad leader, platoon sergeant and LT have to stay later. Then when I roll into work at 0545, those people are already there. Those of high rank will have meetings on the weekends too.
November 11th, 2004  
Bootboy82

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.moore
When your dead your dead. Wouldnt your want your wife to be as happy as possible after you are gone because for her life must still go on.
That's exactly my point of view
November 12th, 2004  
A Can of Man

For soldiers on deployment, yeah I think it'd be really hard. Junior ranks more likely to get killed or wounded.
So wait, American soldiers don't stay in barracks?
November 12th, 2004  
SAINT

I'll not mind if my wife remarries if I die (not in combat, though) as long as the new husband is true to her. If she'll stay widowed, then let it be.

It's just like if a woman is divorced from her husband -- will she marry again? Some do, some don't.

But I'll still worry for her in my grave (if I die).

Anyway, it's a very sad topic.. to die young.
November 12th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Reality of an army at war.