Why Xbox360 is not so populor in japan?

sandy

I have a Xbox360 and having fun with this console.
But,mostly people are not so interesting in this console in Japan.
Just about 350,000 units are sold in japan.
I can imagine the reason.
At first,FPS is not so populor gaming style in japan.
Of course I love Call of Duty series and Battlefield 1942 and 2,Vietnam was ・・・・not good.
Secondly,games of 360 are too villentic・・・・my mom will not welcome me playing Dead Rising or Gears of War.
Third,there are not so much titles on 360 as PS2.
PS2 is still populor and having great new games and there are many many great and reasonable games.
And many people are waiting till line up become rich.
Vaja,Xbox 360 got some quality hands-on time with the new Xbox 360 RPG from the creator of Final Fantasy.
And more,360 is often broken・・・this is deadly failure.
Xbox360 is a good console・・・・・・・・Wii is much more populor.
PS3?That was completely failure.I can find many PS3s in my town's small shop.
Well,I will buy a PS3 if it become cheaper than Wii.lol

Last edited:
Xbox 360 is definitely my favorite console out right now, since first person shooters are my favorite genre. Still, PC wins for that.

Aren't there plenty of incredibly violent Japanese games, too? Like Resident Evil 4 and such?

American and Japanese Gamers have very different tastes. European gamers enjoy a mix of the two.

The X360 does poorly in Japan because the Games do not generally appeal to Japanese taste. For example the FPS genre is not very popular, while puzzle games are. The Japanese also like 'twichy' games (games that require very fast reflexes), not I am not talking about the 'fighting' games. Extremely violent games are also not very popular.

However MS is making some inroads in catering to Japanese tastes and sales of the X360 are improving in Japan, especially by offering bundles that cater to Japanese gamers.

The other reason for this upswing is the overpriced, overdeveloped disaster known as the PS3.

mmarsh, I think that is too great of a generalization. There are plenty of American games that require quick reflexes, in fact you have no chance of winning in most online games if you do not have the faster reflexes. Also, I've seen way too many Japanese games where they exaggerate the blood so much that the whole level ends up getting splattered, and of course you have people getting killed by weird monsters and in some cases having their heads cut off by chainsaws.

mmarsh, I think that is too great of a generalization. There are plenty of American games that require quick reflexes, in fact you have no chance of winning in most online games if you do not have the faster reflexes. Also, I've seen way too many Japanese games where they exaggerate the blood so much that the whole level ends up getting splattered, and of course you have people getting killed by weird monsters and in some cases having their heads cut off by chainsaws.

I'll grant you that many American games require reflexes, but you typical Japanese games will emphisize reflexes say over strategy. For example games like that Donkey Kong drum that was very popular on gamecube, I saw the Japanese players playing on GAMEONE (a gaming channel here in France) it was amazing. Another genre the Japanese don't really like is RTS genre although this is alittle surprising because their nuts about it in Korea and China.

As for violence, I think my generalization is valid although I agree there are exceptions. RESIDENT EVIL and HOUSE OF THE DEAD series are popular. But these are more horror and gore than violence. Japanese love a good horror story. I am talking about the GTA, the half-Life's, CODs etc, they have a small audience compared to what the local market has.

I thought PS3 can't be sold as wii・・・
But,in europe PS3 seems very populor than wii or Xbox360 even the expensive price(Because strong Euro?)
The most plobrem about Xbox360 is that can third parties continue to develop great works alike Gears of War.
Later,PS3 with millions sellers may sweap 360.
I want to play PS3 games "Made in Europe"

I thought PS3 can't be sold as wii・・・
But,in europe PS3 seems very populor than wii or Xbox360 even the expensive price(Because strong Euro?)
The most plobrem about Xbox360 is that can third parties continue to develop great works alike Gears of War.
Later,PS3 with millions sellers may sweap 360.
I want to play PS3 games "Made in Europe"

No, the PS3 is not very popular in Europe. Both the Xbox360 and the Wii are doing better. The Wii is still sold out here since Christmas (I'm still waiting on mine, its a gift for my nephew). There are PS3 available, but for 600€ and a poor choice of 70€ games there are not too many buyers. Most people opt for the Xbox 360.

For Adult Gamers the Xbox360 is the more popular system. Same is true in the US.

I like my PC :)

I really don't see myself buying a console anytime soon... I would much rather put the money into my gaming rig...I mean as it is now I basically only use my Xbox as a DVD player....

I will agree that the Japanese violence in games is usually more cartoonish in nature and that may be the difference between the US and Japan....

I do to. Still, there are a few games on Console that are really cool that never get to PC. I have an Xbox which I rarely play, I don't think I'm in any hurry to get a X360.

I just keep the console around so I can occasionally play Halo, Metal Slug 3, and Soul Calibur II when my friends are over.

BTW Sandy, have you ever played the Metal Slug games? To me, they're just about the best games ever to come out of Japan, and they're the source of my avatar. :)

Metal slug・・・
yeah,that's a pretty good 2D game.
It told me that 3D graphic wasn't important part.
By the way,japanese-english translations of games are so poor?
I prefer no-voice than poor voices.

Back