Why would someone join the French Foreign Legion? - Page 6

--

November 19th, 2012  
NP8901

Think he is a Russian citizen.
November 19th, 2012  
AdamAllen

The legion is the only place where you can pick up a new name and identity.

Like, maybe you just want to get away from your town as much as possible. So much so that you would want to go to France.
November 20th, 2012  
Froggy

The old legion is dead.
Entering is not so easy today.
--
November 20th, 2012  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy
The old legion is dead.
Entering is not so easy today.
That's correct. Its highly selective now.
November 23rd, 2012  
rocky71

Are the FFL officers exclusively from the French St Cyr Military Academy? Are there any commissions granted from the ranks of foreigners?
December 7th, 2012  
Rowan

Had a German distant relative by marriage in it. Got shot in the head in Chad in the '80s. He was a bit f..ed when he went in and was fully f..ed when he got out. Now he is a "citizen of France." Spin-off from service. They're a bit...
December 7th, 2012  
Eden

A gateway i'd say,
People from all over the world go there,get a new life.Nobody is judging you,nobody is better then you,You are a new person.You got purpose in your life,honor and pride.
January 18th, 2013  
dpogeneral

Topic: Here's a reason

I am a British citizen and have lived in England all my life, i dreamed of being in the Army, so when i finally turned 16, i applied - i went through the whole process..B.A.R.B (British Army Recruit Battery test), did all my assessments and then submitted my medical for which the AFCO (Armed forces careers office) send for a copy of COMPLETE medical history - from birth to present. Whe i finally received a reply from the AFCO, i was told i could not join due to 2 deliberate attempts of self harm...British Army rules and regulations state that "More than one deliberate attempt of self harm - of any kind" will permanently bar any candidate. Then i applied for the T.A. (Territorial Army) and the same applies - i am now 24 and have spent the past 8 years appealing from the SMO (Senior Medical Officer) to the Top Brass of the M.o.D (Ministry of Defense) and still had NO joy.

I have ALWAYS wanted to be in the forces - of any kind but first and foremost - The Army, even the RAF (Royal air force) have the same regulations as well as the Navy - so i have decided to apply for the French foreign legion as a "Last Resort" as i have explored every possible route that i can.

DPOgeneral
January 18th, 2013  
headwards

Dpgeneral, what interests you about 'serving' if its not for your country or anyone you care about?
January 19th, 2013  
LeEnfield

To give some that has a record of harming themselves a loaded gun is asking for trouble