Why would someone join the French Foreign Legion?

No such thing as coincidence

I just found out about the FFL from one of my buddies that had a couple friends that joined.
My reason? I've been trying to get into the marine corp for a long time and i tackled every obstacle but got into some trouble along the way. No convictions and all not guilty all across the board but i do have a couple pages of misconduct. Problem is the u.s. military is downsizing and these recruiters are constantly giving me the run around and it's been almost half a year. All non convictions and i proved myself innocent. I know felons get accepted and this is b******t.. guess I got ready a bit too late. I do not want to be a reservist.
Funny thing is I'm learning french and was interested in going to Paris and all that. Never heard of FFL until 2 days ago. This seems to be my calling and the challenge im looking for, the self fulfillment im yearning and the discipline im asking for. Correct me if im wrong but what would be better if i can make something of myself and correct my past that is only slightly tainted. And I do got a thing for french girls with those accents :cowb:
now my question is will i be accept? cause from what i can tell they're currently no accepting criminals or felons and im not. I've been getting the run around for more than half a year now constantly in and out the recruiters office. I'm tired of the BS.. not getting any younger.

Last edited:
I just found out about the FFL from one of my buddies that had a couple friends that joined.
My reason? I've been trying to get into the marine corp for a long time and i tackled every obstacle but got into some trouble along the way. No convictions and all not guilty all across the board but i do have a couple pages of misconduct. Problem is the u.s. military is downsizing and these recruiters are constantly giving me the run around and it's been almost half a year. All non convictions and i proved myself innocent. I know felons get accepted and this is b******t.. guess I got ready a bit too late. I do not want to be a reservist.
Funny thing is I'm learning french and was interested in going to Paris and all that. Never heard of FFL until 2 days ago. This seems to be my calling and the challenge im looking for, the self fulfillment im yearning and the discipline im asking for. Correct me if im wrong but what would be better if i can make something of myself and correct my past that is only slightly tainted. And I do got a thing for french girls with those accents :cowb:
now my question is will i be accept? cause from what i can tell they're currently no accepting criminals or felons and im not. I've been getting the run around for more than half a year now constantly in and out the recruiters office. I'm tired of the BS.. not getting any younger.

The military is downsizing but that's no reason to give up. I understand the tug in the gut that you feel is the calling. At the same time if your record is clean then getting in the US military shouldn't be too hard. Do you have a high school diploma? Do you have any physical limitations that could hold you up? It may not be your history at all that's holding you up, it may be something else. At the same time, ALL services can afford to be picky, the FFL can afford to be even more picky. Keep this in mind as you explore your options. If the Marines are giving you the run around and the FFL looks like it may not pan out, There's still the Army. Within the Army there are a lot more oppurtunities to obtain specialty schools like Airborne, Air Assault, Path Finder, Ranger etc. The Army also offers an 11 X-ray contract which would allow you to go to Airborne then the Ranger regiment after successfull completion of Infantry AIT. Just something to think about...(or after a few years in the grunts, you could go to selection and see if you have what it takes to become part of Special Forces)

The military is downsizing but that's no reason to give up. I understand the tug in the gut that you feel is the calling. At the same time if your record is clean then getting in the US military shouldn't be too hard. Do you have a high school diploma? Do you have any physical limitations that could hold you up? It may not be your history at all that's holding you up, it may be something else. At the same time, ALL services can afford to be picky, the FFL can afford to be even more picky. Keep this in mind as you explore your options. If the Marines are giving you the run around and the FFL looks like it may not pan out, There's still the Army. Within the Army there are a lot more oppurtunities to obtain specialty schools like Airborne, Air Assault, Path Finder, Ranger etc. The Army also offers an 11 X-ray contract which would allow you to go to Airborne then the Ranger regiment after successfull completion of Infantry AIT. Just something to think about...(or after a few years in the grunts, you could go to selection and see if you have what it takes to become part of Special Forces)

I've tried. I wanted to join the army when I was 18 but had no diploma so I went for my GED years after but at the time my buddies were already getting into the Marines and i didn't qualify cause I needed college credits and it was tough at the time i was working full time and hung out with not a nice crowd that got me caught up in bad court case which eventually played out but time took its toll. I got all my credits now, I'm studying criminal justice and i have goals for the future. Beside those points the Army recruiters feel like doing a wavier for me is a hassle i just know it. I can hear it in their voice. Just assumed "pattern of misconduct" without even going forward with my wavier. There were those willing to help me and give me advice just to be shot down by superiors. I had a lot of hopes crushed and I refuse to be a reservist. The FFL seems like the perfect chance for me to get away from all the negative influences from back home and help me achieve my goals as far as physical and mental fitness. Who knows... I might even take them up on that dual citizenship after service. I've been working on becoming an agent for the U.S. I forgot there was even an Interpol.
I will go to the consulate of France on monday to see my options of getting there. One of my buddies to me his friend got a ticket and visa paid for to go but this was in 2003.

If you're working on your college why not try for a commission? Either through ROTC or OCS once you have a degree? There's more than one way to skin a cat...

Sounds like you have a fanciful view of military service and have done little actual research.

The legion of today has a long complicated acceptance program designed to weed out the week and unsound before any kind of training begins.

It is for tough guys, but not dilettantes or nut jobs.

If you're working on your college why not try for a commission? Either through ROTC or OCS once you have a degree? There's more than one way to skin a cat...

That was actually what I was going for, the degree then OCS. Plan was to get my degree while serving so I can have experience being an enlisted first. Problem is by the time I do get a degree as a civilian I'm gonna be near the end of age requirement.

Sounds like you have a fanciful view of military service and have done little actual research.

The legion of today has a long complicated acceptance program designed to weed out the week and unsound before any kind of training begins.

It is for tough guys, but not dilettantes or nut jobs.

I understand it's not meant for everyone and judging by your pic your SF? SF was what I aim for when I looked at the army but being a marine was always in my heart. It just crushes me when I know I have a lot more to offer than some of those that join because they can't find a job and have a clean slate. I have buddies who served in Iraq, marines and soldiers who tell me stories about how there were many idiots that was accepted and I could do a lot better. I'm pretty sure I'm not a nut job lol. The FFL is my last resort so I guess I'm slightly on the dilettante side but I'm always dedicated to what ever I do unless I don't do it. I have a slight understanding of the legion culture and it somewhat fits into what I trying to achieve.

Furthermore the FFL does attract some rather nasty people, who will bully those they perceive to be weaker then they. Americans especially will want to take notice, as Americans are not very well regarded. Although there are Americans in the legion, Americans will often be discouraged from joining by recruiters. Demographics is constantly changing but right now you see a lot of German, Eastern Europeans, and South Americans joining up.

On my view, the foreign legion equal crap more or less, the French recruit these mercenary interfere or bully the little countries in Africa.The legion even dare not fight to Vietmanese.

Udaka,
the Legion were fighting the Viet's from late 1940's through to 1954 when France pulled out of Indo China after the Peace talks concluded.
Actually correction there. The Legion was fighting the Viets from the 1800's whenever it was, that they were first dispatched to Indo China to help France maintain their colony there.
Whilst we can certainly pick apart French tactics and politics, you cannot turn a blind eye to their troops bravery in the various battles that occurred in Indo China. And this also goes to the Vietminh as well who were fighting for a new nation. Rightly or wrongly, depending on personal views etc.

Ducking into cover awaiting counter fire......:hide:

On my view, the foreign legion equal crap more or less, the French recruit these mercenary interfere or bully the little countries in Africa.The legion even dare not fight to Vietmanese.

That´s funny as they fought a lot in Vietnam.. and I know a guy that lost a lot of comrades in Lebanon 1983.

Back