Why would someone join the French Foreign Legion?

Poor men from third countries will join the French foreign Legion.They only for moneys but nothing. The French foreign Legion is the best troop in French army.

Actually, i was asked this question 5 years ago when i decided to Enlist in the FFL, their question was straight and simple! Why The French Foreign Legion?
I came from a well off Family in Lebanon with double passports (Lebanese & British) yet what made me enlist in the "World's toughest Army"?
Many reasons actually:

• Being one of a few! with a rating of 1 out of 8 are being selected through each group of volunteers, this makes it an Elite Group
  • The Chance to Serve in one of the World's Toughest Army regiments
  • The Training, Discipline & Life itself is something extraordinary
If you are heading to the Legion for any other Idea, i'd simply tell you to stay home! If it's only for the money, the passport, the chicks, the travel, the language....whatever other shits you got in mind! Stay home or you will be back with a coffin in your first 2 years!

The Legion is for those who are into Army Life and are looking for the extreme challenge in this domain!

You could ask why does a person do anything like this, and the only answer most times is because they a drawn to it like a moth to a flame.

....whatever other shits you got in mind! Stay home or you will be back with a coffin in your first 2 years!

The Legion is for those who are into Army Life and are looking for the extreme challenge in this domain!

Hi, there!

What has been the loss figures for the Legion the last few years and in which campaigns....?

Fred​

Where can I find out about the legions hearing standards asked on the website they only give info on the eye sight I only ask because I suffer hearing problems after enemy action in helmond in afghan 2008 and I really want to enlist in the legion my father and my brother are both in the legion my father was I should say he was honourable discharged as a sergeant chef 2 rep legion de france

Nope discharged honourable thanks to the S.D.R.B. But after the enemy contact my left has become muted somewhat

I'm in the same boat hearing wise, my left ear sustained nerve damage from a few too many explosions going on in close proximity to me...If I lose ANY more hearing in my left ear I have to re-class out of combat arms...sigh

Good luck, but I might suggest looking into the ADF. They are accepting lateral transfers from the US and commonwealth in specific low strength areas and I'm pretty sure artillery is one of those areas...might be worth looking at.

Having spoken with a French colleague today, I was told that if your hearing problem is combat-related, you will be rejected by the FFL. They have so many applicants to choose from, so you must be 100% fit. You can try, but according to his experience, you will be rejected.

Well I have a hearing test coming up soon at my local med centre so Ill know how bad my hearing is then its june 18th so next monday hopfully my hearing won't to be too bad and ill see if there is anything I can do to improve It?before I take my chances in the legion

Thank you my lord I hopw its not that bad that ill be turned away at the door for the legion what gets me annoyed is the damnable ringing in my ear it never goes away :( but that's adifferent ill have to face later on right now is the time to make amends and repair what hearing is left in my left ear.

Question: is your previous academic preparation somehow taken into account when joining?
If so, I'd say it's probably ppl who had to decide between a career and the armed forces and are now looking for that experience.

Good luck, but I might suggest looking into the ADF. They are accepting lateral transfers from the US and commonwealth in specific low strength areas and I'm pretty sure artillery is one of those areas...might be worth looking at.

STA is especially in demand. That entire trade has virtually been made redundant after the long overdue tech upgrade. Heaps STA blokes are being sent over to the US to be trained on the new systems. But there are severe shortfalls with experienced leadership. So they are really after people like you.

I am very new to the corps but its seems being hard of hearing is a prerequisite. Couldn't see it stopping you.

I have been wondering about joining the french foreign legion i am almost fifteen, and i will graduate highschool before i am 18. there are 3 reason i am joining the ffl

1.the ffl is the elite and i want them to work me to death.

2.speaking foreign languages.

3.To have a new start in life.

could any former ffl tell me about it please?

Let me get this straight-
You want a new start in life.
And you're 15....?

15?

And you want a "new" start in life?

You have life before you right now, kid. Keep your nose clean and in the books. Stay in school, pull good grades, don't do drugs or break the law, and you'll have the world before you, waiting.

Let me get this straight-
You want a new start in life.
And you're 15....?

15?

And you want a "new" start in life?

You have life before you right now, kid. Keep your nose clean and in the books. Stay in school, pull good grades, don't do drugs or break the law, and you'll have the world before you, waiting.

Good advice, I reckon he's been reading too many boys own books.

I have been wondering about joining the french foreign legion i am almost fifteen, and i will graduate highschool before i am 18. there are 3 reason i am joining the ffl

1.the ffl is the elite and i want them to work me to death.
Elite? compared to what?

2.speaking foreign languages.
Go to any major city in the U.S. There are certainly areas where they speak a foreign language

3.To have a new start in life.
Then start by doing something for others instead of being self-centered like other teenagers.

could any former ffl tell me about it please?
Probably, but why? You have a whole library full of information on this topic.

Take Dusty's advice.

PS. If you had been older, I would have said: Get sober and the world will look better tomorrow. ;-)

If you want to join the military why not join your own, the pay and conditions will be better, and if you want a challenge then join one of your top units, mind you getting in wont be easy. Also in many of these units there is always a chance of studying other languages as the army is always on the move

Back