Why would Powell leave?

Italian Guy

Milforum Hitman
One of the most agreed upon news story these days is that Mr Powell is likely to leave the Administration. Maybe to be replaced by Condi.
The one thing I dont understand is why. Is he just wanting to leave? Thanks.

The word is that he is tired to fight with the warlovers in the cabinet, Rumsfeld etc. Powell was one of the biggets opponents against the war. The only one who really knows what a war is.

The official version is that he promised his wife to take it easy. :)

Realizing, of course, Rumsfled served for a long tme in the Navy and Naval Reserve...

Anyway, it was rumored to be a one term thing early in the administration. I think being Sec of State has good and bad points. Lotta travel, constantly having every little thing you say publically scrutinized or written by bureau hacks. I think he may want to return to his community work project.

I think we are forgetting that Powell served in the military for 35 years as am officer, retiring as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Being in high leadership positions is quite demanding on your personal life. Now he has served 4 years as Secretary of State, I think he has the right to retire from public life.

He has served his country quite honorably. I do not think we need to ask much more from him.

That's right, Powell is tired of all this.

Media already reported last year that Powell was already planning to leave.

He was angry that he got "false" info regarding WMD in Iraq so he was made like a "fool" after he talked about WMD in Iraq in UN.

Powell is a good man.

I agree Powell is a very good man who really tried to hold back the "warlords" and as someone said he is entitled to retire if he feels like it.

I believe Powell would have made the best president... largely in part because he doesn't enjoy the power, rather he does his work because he feels it is neccessary.
Those are the criteria that really make a good leader, unfortunately the tradeoff in a democracy is that we rarely will ever get such a person to run for office because they themselves will usually choose not to run.

Powell would be a good President for the sake of all the other countries but he will be a disaster to Americans I believe.

If Powell is President of USA, then USA will not be USA anymore. You know what I mean.

FlyingFrog said:
Powell would be a good President for the sake of all the other countries but he will be a disaster to Americans I believe.

If Powell is President of USA, then USA will not be USA anymore. You know what I mean.

I know what you mean... maybe in the future when USA is more united than divided.

cbbr08 said:
FlyingFrog said:

I know what you mean... maybe in the future when USA is more united than divided.

Actually I mean the way around. USA will be down from a Superpower to just a Major power. Or sure you are saying the opposite than what you really mean.

That's just silly.
Just because you're a super power doesn't mean you always engage in war. It can happen, but just because you are less aggressive doesn't mean you're that much weaker.
The US would continue to be a super power under the presidency of Colin Powell.

They originaly said last year Mr.Powell and his assistant would leave if Bush was re-elelected due to reasons he would not say...

A16856-2003Aug3

here is one from last year that talked about him leaving.

the_13th_redneck said:
I believe Powell would have made the best president... largely in part because he doesn't enjoy the power, rather he does his work because he feels it is neccessary.
Those are the criteria that really make a good leader, unfortunately the tradeoff in a democracy is that we rarely will ever get such a person to run for office because they themselves will usually choose not to run.

If he ran he'd have my vote.

It's been said that the best leaders in politics would be the ones who do not want it. A perfect example of this is George Washington. He wanted nothing more to return to his farm and he was quite reluctant to be the nation's first President.

well it is official

Powell, others to leave Bush administration

WASHINGTON — Secretary of State Colin Powell and three other Cabinet members have submitted their resignations to President Bush, a senior administration official said Monday, escalating a personnel shake up that forces a major facelifting for this top-level tier of advisers for Bush's second term...

READ MORE

There was conservative radio stations talking about it this morning. The host seemed to think Powell left because his experience in warfare was ignored before Iraq. I would be made if a civilian said I was wrong about the military and I had 35 years of experience and 2 wars under my belt.

Back