Why would Powell leave?

--

November 5th, 2004  
Italian Guy

Topic: Why would Powell leave?

One of the most agreed upon news story these days is that Mr Powell is likely to leave the Administration. Maybe to be replaced by Condi.
The one thing I dont understand is why. Is he just wanting to leave? Thanks.
November 5th, 2004  
larsrq

The word is that he is tired to fight with the warlovers in the cabinet, Rumsfeld etc. Powell was one of the biggets opponents against the war. The only one who really knows what a war is.

The official version is that he promised his wife to take it easy.
November 5th, 2004  
Airborne Eagle

Realizing, of course, Rumsfled served for a long tme in the Navy and Naval Reserve...

Anyway, it was rumored to be a one term thing early in the administration. I think being Sec of State has good and bad points. Lotta travel, constantly having every little thing you say publically scrutinized or written by bureau hacks. I think he may want to return to his community work project.
--
November 5th, 2004  
Italian Guy

I see. Thanks Larsrq.
November 5th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

I think we are forgetting that Powell served in the military for 35 years as am officer, retiring as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Being in high leadership positions is quite demanding on your personal life. Now he has served 4 years as Secretary of State, I think he has the right to retire from public life.

He has served his country quite honorably. I do not think we need to ask much more from him.
November 5th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

That's right, Powell is tired of all this.

Media already reported last year that Powell was already planning to leave.

He was angry that he got "false" info regarding WMD in Iraq so he was made like a "fool" after he talked about WMD in Iraq in UN.

Powell is a good man.
November 5th, 2004  
larsrq

I agree Powell is a very good man who really tried to hold back the "warlords" and as someone said he is entitled to retire if he feels like it.
November 5th, 2004  
A Can of Man

I believe Powell would have made the best president... largely in part because he doesn't enjoy the power, rather he does his work because he feels it is neccessary.
Those are the criteria that really make a good leader, unfortunately the tradeoff in a democracy is that we rarely will ever get such a person to run for office because they themselves will usually choose not to run.
November 5th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Powell would be a good President for the sake of all the other countries but he will be a disaster to Americans I believe.

If Powell is President of USA, then USA will not be USA anymore. You know what I mean.
November 5th, 2004  
cbbr08

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFrog
Powell would be a good President for the sake of all the other countries but he will be a disaster to Americans I believe.

If Powell is President of USA, then USA will not be USA anymore. You know what I mean.
I know what you mean... maybe in the future when USA is more united than divided.