Why would anyone break the law in Russia?

Damien435

I was watching "Cops: Moscow" and it was following the Speknaz as they broke up an illegal Vodka production ring. When they caught the people they would beat the h*ll out of them, 2 guys stand in front of the camera, one stands on the dudes neck, and the other kicks him, and then once they spill the beans about any information they may have they are thrown into jail and largely forgotten about. So why would anyone break the law? It is a death wish essentially, can they not take the hint or is crime so bad in Russia that the cases we hear about are the few successes?

It would help if there were some forum members who were Russian to ask about it but for some reason they tend to get offended and leave the forum.

Why do we always hear about the Russian mafia being so incredibly powerful in Russia? Is that a bad rumor or do they pay off the police?

From what ive read the pay in russia is so low that most people will take bribes as its the way to get money or take part in illegal activities as its where the money is.

Russia is still in the process of becoming a true democratic and human society, this kind of behaviors is just part of the process, it will improve every year.

I also don't think USA is so perfect on this issue (beating people), although a way better than most other countries.

Putin may bring Russia to a better future, but Putin only has 4 years term, then he is gone, quite pity actually.

At the minute it looks like Putin might be there a lot longer as he effectivley controls the media, in the last elections i believe only his parties political broadcasts were allowed on tv. yes russia is evolving but most of the wealth is in the hands of a few, and corruption is meant to be rife.

Flying Frog, I'm not entirely convinced that Russia is ultimately headed for democracy. I hope they are, but I have my doubts.

A market economy has worked out quite well in many Eastern European nations that were Communist beforehand. It hasn't worked out so well for Russia for some reason.

My biggest worry for Russia is that they are in exactly the type of position for a charismatic to seize power and re-establish a totalitarianistic regime. The reason that might be appealing to Russians is that such a leader could promise to end Chechen attacks, promise to destroy the Russian Mafia and promise to re-establish Russian power in the world.

godofthunder9010, I understand your points.

We have to read Russia in this way: Russia has been traditionally a totalitarian society, the historic heritage of this will mean that for Russia it will take much longer time to become a true democratic, harmony and humane society than countries in some East Europe, but the end destination for all nations is same.

Same applies to China, it may take 30 or even 50 years for China to become democratic nation, but China will be there, for sure.

I'm sure we all hope you are right about Russia. Its just worrisome. A complete totalitarian regime would be so easy to reinstall (based on some ideology other than Communism most likely).

godofthunder9010 said:
A market economy has worked out quite well in many Eastern European nations that were Communist beforehand. It hasn't worked out so well for Russia for some reason.

The problem though is that Russia was the one bolstering these eastern European governments and they were also the ones that were holding them under their thumbs. Russia was the largest of the Soviet Republics and the one with most of the control, it was in Russia the revolution was fought and it was in Russia that the Germans were defeated. Russia and the Soviet Union are technically two different countries, but really they were one in the same, it was Russians in power and Russians with the money.

On what channel do you watch this COPS:Moscow show?
Anyway, you should see the beatings that serbian interior ministry police dish out. I have had an personal expericence. Me and a couple of buddy's were coming back form the caffe and stumbled upon a drug bust beside a empty bus station one night, we noticed that the cops had dragged out MUP's had dragged out two younger guys out of a BMW and were "workin' them over" as my friend would say with these 2 and a quarter inch thick hard rubber batons. My friend who had couple of drinks starts slurring something at the MUP's so one younger fired up cracker MUP comes towards us pulls my friends left arm towards him and smacks him across the back of the knees, my friend drops to his knees and then takes another baton smack across the chest. Me and with all my wise decision making decide, I decide to say "what the fu*k was that fo-" and before I know I take that thick hard rubber baton right across the mouth. The other MUPS notice this and leave the two bad guys to 2 regular patrol cops and come over and start literally whupping the living bejesus out of us! Thankfully an senior commander tells them to knock it off and me and my friends spend the night in the hospital, me with a fractured jaw,2 broken ribs and bad bruises all over me. beleive me it is no fun at all! I think criminals deserve what they get so screw that, "becareful not to hurt their wrists with the handcuffs" stuff. BUT the police in Eastern European countries should receicve more training and have better discipline so incidents like my misfortunet experience don't happen. :)

Quick money

Some people are villing to risk their life and health for earning money the easy way. If the consequences are brutal the amount of money they can get their hands on supress the consequences and they are doing whatever they are doing. It is in the human behaviour...

The police in some countries perform hard measures on criminals and even in some western countries bad guys get their fair share of beating so it is not explicit to Eastern Europe.

FX, Spike TV, those are the two that play COPS the most.

And are Russians all short (Like 5'10"ish) or are the Speknaz all atleast 6'6"? They were towering over the criminals, but then again these criminals weren't exactly giants themselves, they looked like they were about 5'9".

Note to self, when in Russia, DO NOT BREAK THE LAW!

Back