Why do we only talk about fighter aircraft?

samarai

Sure the fighters (fixed/rotor) are the exciting ones in the movies and books, but there are many other excellent aircraft that have exciting histories or stories to tell also.

Where would the US military be without the C-47, C-54, C-130, C-5, C-141, U2 just to name a few.

Could some of you share the history, or tell a few stories of your involvement with these or any others that you would care to bring to our attention?

Last edited:
There is no particular reason, other than most people here being more intrested in the fighter-bomber type aircraft. I am afraid as a tank trooper i have nothign to share but i would very much like to hear...

Tu-95 "Bear" is definately one of the best bomber aircraft designed, imo. I wouldnt normally say this, but it does look like Russians are not loved on this forum lol

Easy, it's the glamor job. Dogfights the whole thing. You can only compare cargo planes by the tonnage they carry, same with bombers.

Bombers from enemy countries because of their mission would probably wave at each other if they past on a mission.:wink:

Last edited:
I personally like UAVs and CAS birds.
I really miss the OV-10 Bronco and think it would have been an excellent aircraft considering the sort of conflicts being fought today.

OK, let's talk about the OV-10 Bronco, or A-37.
Anyone ?

Ah, the Bronco! Got their own fame, indeed!

bronco_op-ed_cartoon_philstardotcom_2006-10-25_01.gif

061024-M-0049M-066.jpg

FWIW,

Rattler

I'm also a UAV/UCAV fan. The future of aerial combat my friends. We definitely need a thread dedicated to them.

Well, I think the OV-10s just got too old. Other than that I think they were great aircraft. Excellent for quick supply drops when it's just too hot for a helicopter, good FAC platform etc.

Old, but not too old. Boeing is considering the possibility of restarting production of the OV-10 Bronco.
The international market is also driving interest in the slow-flying aircraft, which blends some of the observational capabilities of a helicopter with the range of a fixed-wing aircraft.
Boeing has cited recent USAF interest in acquiring a light attack aircraft as a possible reason to revive OV-10 production.
The company has created a marketing brochure, which has been circulated at defence industry events.

from : http://www.flightglobal.com/article...estarting-ov-10-production-after-23-year.html

Here's the brochure

I was in the US Navy and at one time got to fly off the carrier via a COD bird which was a twin engine STOOF, it went to the fantail locked up the brakes and put the coals to the engines then brakes off and we were off in no time, it was also a VERY welcome site to the Ship's crew as they knew mail from home was arriving soon once on board,and when at sea for long periods of time a letter or two from home/girlfriend /wife was a VERY happy time !!!!

OV-10

I just saw in the news last week that the mfg of the OV-10 is doing a proposal to bring the OV-10 back into manufacturing.

Mistaken post. I did not see the earlier post of the same info I was posting.

I will read more carefully in the future.

Back