Why are US-flag armpatches the wrong way round?

Wave.jpg

world.jpg

r19135_47199.jpg

Yet according to the CIA, the U.S. flag is this:
us-lgflag.gif

WHY?

Last edited:
The answer is that back in the old days where armies still carried flags into battle, they would always want to portray that they are advancing. If you imagined the reversed flag patch as a large ceremonial flag, it would appear (from the right) as if the soldier is moving going forward, and not retreating. If the flag was on the left, it would be regular. I know NASA does the same with the space shuttle, but I'm not sure about other agencies that operate flying objects :)

I find Maytime's explanation more credible than The Cooler King's actually.

C130-c.jpg

Alaska-Air-National-Guard-C-130-on-Takeoff.JPG

It would appear the US Air Force has the same policy.

I'm going to try and find out if other countries with left-right asymmetry in their flags do the same.

Belgium does:

be-lgflag.gif

main.php

Belgian ground troops avoid the problem by only having flags on the left shoulder.

Norway does:
phot1.jpg

Malaysia doesn't:
phot2.jpg

Last edited:
"To wear our country's flag properly, the field of stars should be worn closest to your heart. Thus, if your patch is to be worn on your LEFT sleeve, use a left flag. For patches worn on your RIGHT sleeve, use a "right" or "reversed field" flag. Since the law does not specifically address the positioning of the patch, a decision is left to the discretion of the organization prescribing the wear. Some elect to use the "left" flag on both sleeves. [Note: many states and cities have ordinances pertaining to the use of the flag; you may wish to contact the Attorney General of your state or the City Attorney's office regarding this matter.] If you are planning to wear only one patch, it is recommended that you wear a "left" flag on your left sleeve. Military guidelines specify that in support of joint or multi-national operations, the "right" flag is worn on the right sleeve, 1/4" below the shoulder seam or 1/8" below any required unit patches."
[FONT=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,helv]Source: Army Website FAQs[/FONT]

Here is what the U.S. Army told its troops: "The flag is worn on the right shoulder to give the effect of the flag flying in the breze as the wearer moves foward.

The Cooler King said:
"To wear our country's flag properly, the field of stars should be worn closest to your heart. Thus, if your patch is to be worn on your LEFT sleeve, use a left flag. For patches worn on your RIGHT sleeve, use a "right" or "reversed field" flag. Since the law does not specifically address the positioning of the patch, a decision is left to the discretion of the organization prescribing the wear. Some elect to use the "left" flag on both sleeves. [Note: many states and cities have ordinances pertaining to the use of the flag; you may wish to contact the Attorney General of your state or the City Attorney's office regarding this matter.] If you are planning to wear only one patch, it is recommended that you wear a "left" flag on your left sleeve. Military guidelines specify that in support of joint or multi-national operations, the "right" flag is worn on the right sleeve, 1/4" below the shoulder seam or 1/8" below any required unit patches."
[FONT=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,helv]Source: Army Website FAQs[/FONT]

I see. So US troops not involved in any type of multinational operation don't wear a "right" flag at all?

I was simply told that the flag is reversed because of the Civil War reference thingy, but my superiors could be wrong (hasn't been the first). As for when to display the "right" flag, we have to wear it in garrison, but it's optional in the field (at the commander's discretion). Since there are now subdued or IR relfective subdued (for the ACU) reverse flag patches, I don't see why a commander would not have his/her unit wear it, unless they didn't want an American presence known.

The simple explanation is that the flag is dispayed as though it was flowing in the wind, i.e.if the soldier is walking foward then the flag on the right sleeve would have the field of stars to the front of the shoulder, and the same for the left shoulder.

The advacing flag theory is the correct one. I was with the 101st AirBorne Division when my battalion when to Kosovo for 6 months. Right before my promotion board for E-5, we were authorized to wear the US flag on our uniforms. At the time, you only wore the US flag when you deployed. I sought out the answer to the very same question that spurred this thread. No one really knew the answer until I finally had to ask my BN SGT MAJ and he gave me the same answer given here.

Certain countries with single or colours that do not show the side of the flag do not adhere to these rules! Look at Indonesia or Poland for example! Japan too!

zander_0633 said:
Certain countries with single or colours that do not show the side of the flag do not adhere to these rules! Look at Indonesia or Poland for example! Japan too!

The Commander-In-Chief of the American Armed Forces doesn't adhere to these rules either:

bush_binoculars.jpg

I'm sure you all know the picture for the binoculars, but my point is the flag!

Where, maybe he is not a military personnel and that jacket is just another one of his clothes with a US flag patch!

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
The Commander-In-Chief of the American Armed Forces doesn't adhere to these rules either:

If the picture is older than 2004 then it's a moot point. The official policy on the flag didn't come down until '04.

Mohmar Deathstrike said:

bush_binoculars.jpg

I'm sure you all know the picture for the binoculars, but my point is the
flag!

Looks like he's sighting through the active path, not the passive daytime path (the viewer at the top center) now Litton will have to kill all of us.

Back