Why are US-flag armpatches the wrong way round?

--

February 25th, 2006  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Topic: Why are US-flag armpatches the wrong way round?

Yet according to the CIA, the U.S. flag is this:

WHY?
February 25th, 2006  
Rabs

I never noticed and i dont know.
February 25th, 2006  
The Cooler King

The union (the stars) is to be pointed closest to the heart. So if the flag was on the other side it would be the other way around.
--
February 25th, 2006  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Wow. You got yourself some insider knowledge right there. Respek.
February 25th, 2006  
Maytime

The answer is that back in the old days where armies still carried flags into battle, they would always want to portray that they are advancing. If you imagined the reversed flag patch as a large ceremonial flag, it would appear (from the right) as if the soldier is moving going forward, and not retreating. If the flag was on the left, it would be regular. I know NASA does the same with the space shuttle, but I'm not sure about other agencies that operate flying objects
February 25th, 2006  
Mohmar Deathstrike

I find Maytime's explanation more credible than The Cooler King's actually.

It would appear the US Air Force has the same policy.

I'm going to try and find out if other countries with left-right asymmetry in their flags do the same.

Belgium does:

[img]http://www.f-16.net/modules/pnGaller...serialNumber=2[/img]

Belgian ground troops avoid the problem by only having flags on the left shoulder.

Norway does:

Malaysia doesn't:
February 26th, 2006  
The Cooler King

"To wear our country's flag properly, the field of stars should be worn closest to your heart. Thus, if your patch is to be worn on your LEFT sleeve, use a left flag. For patches worn on your RIGHT sleeve, use a "right" or "reversed field" flag. Since the law does not specifically address the positioning of the patch, a decision is left to the discretion of the organization prescribing the wear. Some elect to use the "left" flag on both sleeves. [Note: many states and cities have ordinances pertaining to the use of the flag; you may wish to contact the Attorney General of your state or the City Attorney's office regarding this matter.] If you are planning to wear only one patch, it is recommended that you wear a "left" flag on your left sleeve. Military guidelines specify that in support of joint or multi-national operations, the "right" flag is worn on the right sleeve, 1/4" below the shoulder seam or 1/8" below any required unit patches."
Source: Army Website FAQs
February 26th, 2006  
sleepyscout

Here is what the U.S. Army told its troops: "The flag is worn on the right shoulder to give the effect of the flag flying in the breze as the wearer moves foward.
February 26th, 2006  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cooler King
"To wear our country's flag properly, the field of stars should be worn closest to your heart. Thus, if your patch is to be worn on your LEFT sleeve, use a left flag. For patches worn on your RIGHT sleeve, use a "right" or "reversed field" flag. Since the law does not specifically address the positioning of the patch, a decision is left to the discretion of the organization prescribing the wear. Some elect to use the "left" flag on both sleeves. [Note: many states and cities have ordinances pertaining to the use of the flag; you may wish to contact the Attorney General of your state or the City Attorney's office regarding this matter.] If you are planning to wear only one patch, it is recommended that you wear a "left" flag on your left sleeve. Military guidelines specify that in support of joint or multi-national operations, the "right" flag is worn on the right sleeve, 1/4" below the shoulder seam or 1/8" below any required unit patches."
Source: Army Website FAQs
I see. So US troops not involved in any type of multinational operation don't wear a "right" flag at all?
February 26th, 2006  
Maytime

I was simply told that the flag is reversed because of the Civil War reference thingy, but my superiors could be wrong (hasn't been the first). As for when to display the "right" flag, we have to wear it in garrison, but it's optional in the field (at the commander's discretion). Since there are now subdued or IR relfective subdued (for the ACU) reverse flag patches, I don't see why a commander would not have his/her unit wear it, unless they didn't want an American presence known.