why is the US Army replacing the DCU with the ACU?

Probably some logistical issue.

Or a majestical F*#%-UP! I mean, who is under any danger in Kosovo, on the same par as Iraq?

Hundreds of years ago, the British Army scared any opponent, not because their weapons were better (and most of the time they were), but because to see a wall of red coming at you is a frightning sight.

Today, we have troops in Desert Uniforms with Woodlawn body-armor,web-gear, etc. Even considering the fact that the only enemy is one that plans on dying, a unified (the word which is related to Uniform) Army scares anyone from considering it.

Or a majestical F*#%-UP! I mean, who is under any danger in Kosovo, on the same par as Iraq?

Hundreds of years ago, the British Army scared any opponent, not because their weapons were better (and most of the time they were), but because to see a wall of red coming at you is a frightning sight.

Today, we have troops in Desert Uniforms with Woodlawn body-armor,web-gear, etc. Even considering the fact that the only enemy is one that plans on dying, a unified (the word which is related to Uniform) Army scares anyone from considering it.

It has been proven wearing different camoflages helps to break and disrupt the human pattern. One reason I wear Tiger Stripes, OD Green and old style woodland.

The digital pattern is not meant to blend in, its meant to disrupt the area surrounding it so that you have a harder time finding it.

Thats one feature I do like about the ACU.

The digital pattern is not meant to blend in, its meant to disrupt the area surrounding it so that you have a harder time finding it.

Thats one feature I do like about the ACU.

It has been proven wearing different camoflages helps to break and disrupt the human pattern. One reason I wear Tiger Stripes, OD Green and old style woodland.

Please read the whole post.

ACU's and MARPAT may be digital, but they still qualify as "camoflage".

Please read the whole post.

ACU's and MARPAT may be digital, but they still qualify as "camoflage".

Looks like I got that backwards, eh eh.

Any way, I did not say it wasnt camoflage. But, kinda a new step in the ever search for staying hidden in a combat zone. And you are right, tiger stripes have been proven in nature, tigers in Asia, in places like China, tigers would kneel down in the grass, and the stripes, and slightly orange colors of their fur, would make them almost invisible when they are hunting.

Looks like I got that backwards, eh eh.

Any way, I did not say it wasnt camoflage. But, kinda a new step in the ever search for staying hidden in a combat zone. And you are right, tiger stripes have been proven in nature, tigers in Asia, in places like China, tigers would kneel down in the grass, and the stripes, and slightly orange colors of their fur, would make them almost invisible when they are hunting.

Digital's is nothing new, Canada has had them since the 80's.

Yeah, but the U.S. pattern was computer designed, witch, I dont see how it makes much difference.

I guess it speeds up production proccess?

You're actually angry at these logistical stuff?
Dude, it's just another day in the office. The ladder sights (dunno what it's called in the American service) for the grenade launcher will show up... without the bit to attach it to the 203 hand guard. There's not enough winter cammo to go around, and there's no source we can actually requst them from so we have to improvise. There's not enough bayonet sheaths and new ones ain't coming... indefinately. We got two boxes full of razor blades... and zero shaver handles.
Repeat after me.
Same sh!t
Different day
Welcome to the Marines :jump:

Of course the fun part is finding the solutions. Usually follows the form of stealing, borrowing and using connections.
Tip from the wise: befriend the supply dudes. Buy them drinks, send them presents etc etc.

Yea, why Kosovo?

from what ive heard, a lot of the units in Kosovo are National Guard units. supposedly, they got ACU's first because they had State and Federal funds to play with. or at least thats what my friend (21B 101 Engineer Btn. MA-ARNG) told our JROTC class between the time he came back from Kosovo and went to Iraq.

The digital cammo is actually pretty nice, the uniform top takes a bit of getting used to seeing around..... seeing how the Rank is in a different spot, but the Velcro is a nice touch for the Patches.

In my opinion though, nothing beats the Jungle Uniform.
Looked good, moved good, felt good, light weight, and it dried fast.

How about good ole Blue with brass buttons? Best U.S. Combat Uniform to date in my opinion.

Digital's is nothing new, Canada has had them since the 80's.

We've only had our CADPAT since the late 90's, actually. In the 80's we were still wearing the same OD uniforms we'd been wearing since unification in the 60's.

And it's only recently that the CADPAT has been made the principle uniform of the CF. At first, it was only the Army that had them. Recruits and Officer Candidates were still issued OD until the summer of 2004 (Reg Force, not sure about Reserves).

I wonder how a bigger digital pattern would look on a Lepord, Or Challenger 2 or something, you know, heavy armor, I dont think that would be a bad idea, just get a computer to randomly make a design, and get it painted.

But, I think thats the problem, I mean, how would you paint something that complex in the field, say, after repairing battle damage?

(sorry for expanding the subject, just a though)
:sorry:

We've only had our CADPAT since the late 90's, actually. In the 80's we were still wearing the same OD uniforms we'd been wearing since unification in the 60's.

And it's only recently that the CADPAT has been made the principle uniform of the CF. At first, it was only the Army that had them. Recruits and Officer Candidates were still issued OD until the summer of 2004 (Reg Force, not sure about Reserves).

I heard Canadian troops that were deployed to Afghanistan in Nov 2002, were issued wrong uniforms, is that right?

We didn't have the CADPAT AR (Arid Region) uniforms in service yet, so we were forced to deploy using our standard CADPAT TW (Temperate Woodland) uniforms.

Now, we've got the AR uniforms that we need.

My ACU review

As it says, this is my ACU review. Some guys may disagree and that's fine. My experience with the ACUs has been during some pretty harsh enviroments doing some pretty busy things.

ACU's get a big thumbs down from me overall. I burned through three sets in less than a, the fabric is pretty cheap and rips easily and depending on your luck, the stiching isn't much better. They also stain, horribly.

Velcro, yes there CAN be too much.

They went way overboard with the velcro, side leg pockets need buttons as the velcro gets caked with mud, dirt, sand, grit and eventually proves to be useless. The slant on the pockets is also a little too much, but nothing so much that it causes huge problems. The velcro on the side arm pockets is good to go for the most part; I'd prefer buttons but we used ripstop on our modified DCUs/BDUs too so I was used to it. The lower leg pockets with velcro are also good to go and came in handy on a few occasions. I haven't had too many problems with the velcro on the side arm and leg pockets getting messed up. The velcro on the front breast pockets gets pretty eaten up from overuse, but it wasn't too bad. It would have been a little easier if they had angled the pockets up a touch more so that they were deeper as well as easier to reach.

The zipper; I don't know who's brain fart that was, but obviously they've never spent too much time in the field. When the zipper breaks, and it will if you get a lot of use from your ACUs, there's little to nothing you can do to repair it. I only had this happen to one top, but it was annoying.

The collars, I had a love hate relationshp with the collars, just one of those things. Given the choice, I'd prefer the traditional collar.

Color. Two words; it sucks. The digi pattern is the way to go, but the Mall Assault Gray/Blue/Foliage green/WhateverTheyWantToCallIt is a big no go.

The ACUs are more of a garrison uniform than a combat uniform.

Really? I thought the gray was a smart idea especially with the type of terrain everyone's fighting in these days. Gray's a better cammo than most people give it credit for.

Back