why is the US Army replacing the DCU with the ACU?

I have a set of both bdu's and acu's and have found that the acu's give me greater concealment when in the desert here in Co. I gave them my own field test wearing each and trying to sneak up on my girlfriend in the Colorado desert. She reported that it was much harder to spot me in the acu's compaired to the older bdu uniform. And I like the pockets in the acu's better and they are cut differently witch seems to fit me more comfortably as well.

You said it, comtfy!;)

There was a research on camouflage done before World War I and the color they found that best suited every environment without changing the uniform was in fact, gray. Ever wondered why the Germans wore gray during the two world wars? This is the reason.
Gray blends in with different environments equally well and if you're in the city which is where most of the fighting is these days, it's the best possible color to wear. I think the ACU design is very smart and as you can see in the photo on the first page, the gray blends in VERY well with a rather yellowish background.
Black however is a very bad color which is a wonder why the South Korean army has adopted it in their digital pattern scheme. Some obsession with the color it seems but black is a big bad no no in camouflage. Take a walk in the woods. It's easier to spot a black crow than it is to spot deer. Don't believe me? Go try it.
Also in terms of mobility this gray is good. Bringing changes in cammo means more logistical work. When the :cens: hits the fan, I can depend on my supplies from not reaching me so I think one pattern that fits all environments and seasons and is excellent for the terrain I'm most likely to fight in is the one I want.
I think the ACU is a winner.

Mod edit: Do not try to circumvent the forum censor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Military desiginers have been looking for a versitile camofloge scheme for decades, and, I think for the U.S. Army, and Marine Corps, using these digi ACUs, the have found it, if not something very close to it.

Personlly, I like the new schemes, but, doesnt make me any less greatful of the older DCUs, I love my DCU pants, pretty thick, and tough.

But, there will always be a replacement to every bit of Military equitment, no matter how good it performs, it can only serve for so long.

Yeah, the desginers took that into consideration, the place the pockets differently, to provide more comfort n stuff for the troops who will use it, that was a good call.

Thats what I heard, I think they took a lot of troop input and put it into consideration for the design and making for the new combat uniforms

Yea, the only other example I know of like it , is the Isreali Merkava Tank, were tankers actaully had input on the design.

In my opinion, always ask the user before presenting him new gear or equitment. But, then agian, I dont know much about the usage tanks, or body armor and combat gear!

And , who knows, what, years from now, what the U.S. Army will use to maybe one day in the far future to replace the ACU...

Yea, the only other example I know of like it , is the Isreali Merkava Tank, were tankers actaully had input on the design.

In my opinion, always ask the user before presenting him new gear or equitment. But, then agian, I dont know much about the usage tanks, or body armor and combat gear!

And , who knows, what, years from now, what the U.S. Army will use to maybe one day in the far future to replace the ACU...

Who knows...........fiber optic camo, could be anything.

Ok, comparison shots...
DCUs:
1041591832_l.jpg

ACUs:
l_e74775223086661b4f5fd45cf7b1a11e.jpg

Effectiveness of DCUs (Here comes the Cav!):
Pic-112640.jpg

ACUs:
601135878_l-1.jpg

Effectiveness of ACUs (Authentic Iraqi Enviroment):
ACUCouch.jpg

P.S. THe picture of the guy in ACUs, where everything is ACU is from Kosovo. Anyone else think it's weeird that guys in Kosovo have all of their stuff new, while guys in Iraq are >STILL< wearing BDU stuff?

Back