Why?

SNowblind

Why aren't there any books/movies/games that I know of that have a German perspective of WW2?

it is understandable to not have anything from the SS/Nazi point of view, but the Wermacht wasn't evil per se, just following orders. It would be REALLY interesting to have a movie of the germans perspective of the Russian front, or D day/battle of the bulge.

closest thing I have seen is "Enemy at the Gates."

there are, you just have to look a bit harder, there's the Sven Hassel books and Cross of Iron is a decent film.

I believe there is one called "stalingrad" from the German point of view.
And for WW1, there is all quiet on the western front.

But he... look at it the way, the victors of war get more benifits than just "winning". They influence the way history and society views the loser.

There was a computer game called "Panzer General", you played the part of a German general like Guderian, or Manstien comanding the Wermacht and blitzing Europe.

It was so popular they ended up extending it to "Panzer General III".

U-571 for a movie or Das Boot.
For a game try Close Combat you can play any side you want.

Plus theres the whole thing, that youd have to change history in the game and that would just make things complicated. Cause after the first "level" youd have to make everything up.

There are tons and tons of books out there from the German perspective. As far as movies go, look for Das Boot, Stalingrad, Cross of Iron, Die Brucke, The Eagle has Landed, and Der Untergang.

The Cooler King said:
There are tons and tons of books out there from the German perspective. As far as movies go, look for Das Boot, Stalingrad, Cross of Iron, Die Brucke, The Eagle has Landed, and Der Untergang.

I reckon you covered the movies properly with these. I personally think that Sven Hassel wrote his books too much as a novel. If war were that easy, well hell, what are we waiting for. My personal favourite book would be The forgotten Soldier written by Guy Sajer. He was a Alsatian Frenchman fighting in the Gross Deutschland..... it is really something!

SNowblind said:
Why aren't there any books/movies/games that I know of that have a German perspective of WW2?

it is understandable to not have anything from the SS/Nazi point of view, but the Wermacht wasn't evil per se, just following orders. It would be REALLY interesting to have a movie of the germans perspective of the Russian front, or D day/battle of the bulge.

closest thing I have seen is "Enemy at the Gates."
The problem with this is that, as a rule, the people of Germany simply don't talk about World War II at any length. For one thing, this is because most are ashamed of what their nation did with extermination camps of various sorts. There's just a lot of shame, period.

I did find a lot of books that told it from the German perspective whilst doing a research paper in college. One good one would be "Panzer Leader" by Heinz Guderian. Not a Nazi, but very involved in the war ... just like most most members of the German military. I had to find the English translation on Inter-Library Loan because there aren't a lot of copies out there. But there was a better general perspective that I found. I just can't remember the name of the book or the author.

PM Doppleganger, he'd know more than most people here. Of course, this question would probably be better place in the WW2 forum, since that is where Dopp is always hanging around at.

Back