Why?

BennettNC_156

How come when you tell somebody you want to be in the USMC, they always say "join the air force, you won't get brainwashed there!" I hate this. How come no one can respect the men who put their lives on the line and go in first, why do they instead always insult them?

no real insult there chief. Most of the branches are really competitive. We all in the Army talk smack on the Navy, Air Force and Marines. I am pretty sure they talk smack on us too.

Who ever said join the Air Force is probably quite loyal to that branch

haha, iv been told to join the air force, but i cant fly, so that kinda ruined it for me........

i joined the corps and i fly, only differnece is i fly to pick up the ground pounders on there hump from BFE to BFE. i try and do my part :)

hmmm why do people always talk trash to Marines, well in my opinion they are either jealous haters or are just bitter

Starker said:
hmmm why do people always talk trash to Marines, well in my opinion they are either jealous haters or are just bitter

We have something called, as has been mentioned, inter-service rivarly. If you're going to serve, you better have thick skin - you and your service of choice will hear "trash talking" at some point during your career. It is give and take - and generally meant with light heartededness.

Not everyone is jealous or bitter - sometimes, they're just joshing or giving an opinion. Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

And it doesn't stop after you leave active duty. Navy, Marine, Army and Air Force and Coast Guard vets continue to ribb each other. ;)

03USMC said:
And it doesn't stop after you leave active duty. Navy, Marine, Army and Air Force and Coast Guard vets continue to ribb each other. ;)

How can you say such a thing 03? Nobody ever called me a ground pounding bullet catcher or a stump jumping, gravel crunching leg :) It would so offend my sensitivities.
Seriously Bennett, these terms actually become sort of badges of honor and as Doody said, no real insult there.
Take Rndr's advice and develop a thick skin, you'll need it :)

speaking of insults, does anyone know where the idea of a "jarhead" came from? why not just say "dumb ______" (fill in blank),

Jarhead

ghost457 said:
speaking of insults, does anyone know where the idea of a "jarhead" came from? why not just say "dumb ______" (fill in blank),

That's easy. Whats the first thing that comes to mind when you see a practically bald recruit standing at attention? if you held a mayonnaise jar upside down beside his head, you'd notice the similarity.

Re: Jarhead

MI Blues said:
ghost457 said:

That's easy. Whats the first thing that comes to mind when you see a practically bald recruit standing at attention? if you held a mayonnaise jar upside down beside his head, you'd notice the similarity.

Maybe this is the same thing, but I thought it was because of the "high and tight" haircut they usually get?

Here's how one gunny describes the derivation of the term "Jarhead".

On one or two occasions I was overheard discussing Marine Corps lore with other boots, and corrected by one or more of the old salts. In particular, I was told that the term Jarhead originated in the Corps back in the days when mules were still used. As anyone who has ever watched an old western movie knows, mules were often referred to as Jughead. The oldtimers insisted that Marines also referred to their mules as Jughead and/or Jarhead. Over time, certain stubborn or hard to deal with Marines were also called Jarheads.
There it is, take it or leave it. Myself, I can accept the above as the origin for the term Jarhead, and still see how the newer explanations also became attached to the legend and became the sole existing explanation. We May never know for sure.
http://www20.brinkster.com/gunnyg/jarhead.html

Here's basically what the services think of each other:

The Army is full of ground pounding, dog faced morons.
The Air Force is full of nerds and "Chairborne Rangers."
The Navy is full of people who dress in white and call themselves seamen :shock:
The Marine Corps is full of even bigger morons, but they look better.
The Coast Guard is full of... who knows? They just sort of float around out there...

Back