This is why I support CCW - Page 15

--
This is why I support CCW

April 21st, 2007  
Donkey

The main problem is a lot of people do not understand guns, are not educated in them, and therefore are afraid or mislead about them.

I have witnessed myself first hand people changing their tune on guns after being instructed on how to use one and fire it for the first time at a target. They usually make a 180 degree turn in their thoughts on guns.

I really dislike the theory of just making something illegal or banning it is the solution to solving problems, time and time again this has proved not to work.
April 21st, 2007  
Padre

I've been waiting to see what information was to emerge once the dust and hyperbole had settled - news stories on big events get quite a few facts wrong in the first days and then correct them later. Well, we now know the killer was deranged (easy to guess that) - but he was certifiable many months prior to the shooting. I think there should be some national law that when an individual is assesed as psychologically imbalanced that privacy rights and laws come second to protecting the community, and if a PIP (psycologically imbalanced person) is found to have legally - and of course illegally, purchased or acquired guns from their past, of any description, the guns should be confiscated. The right to bear arms should not be extended, and I think was never intended to be extended, to to PIPs.
April 21st, 2007  
Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre
I've been waiting to see what information was to emerge once the dust and hyperbole had settled - news stories on big events get quite a few facts wrong in the first days and then correct them later. Well, we now know the killer was deranged (easy to guess that) - but he was certifiable many months prior to the shooting. I think there should be some national law that when an individual is assesed as psychologically imbalanced that privacy rights and laws come second to protecting the community, and if a PIP (psycologically imbalanced person) is found to have legally - and of course illegally, purchased or acquired guns from their past, of any description, the guns should be confiscated. The right to bear arms should not be extended, and I think was never intended to be extended, to to PIPs.
In theory that is how it already is supposed to work, however the problem is many states do not seem to report this to the national database. I'm guessing that may change....
--
April 21st, 2007  
Ted

Wow, I see not a whole lot has changed! It was really enlightning to read about this ordeal. Banning guns, allowing them, gun knowledge, everybody grasping the idea on who is shooting whom etc. etc.... Has anybody actually pointed out that you might miss?
I read a lot of: I'd shoot him in the face! But what would you do if, under strain and full of adrenaline, you whip out your gun, take aim and blow an innocent student's head off? Is that just colateral damage? And for our gun waving friends I have another one. This Choi-guy was a "normal, legal cww man until he snapped. In my opinion there are a lot more people ready to snap at some point. I'd prefer to see him running around with a "broom stick or flash-light" instead of a loaded gun.

Guns are like expensive toys, everybody can buy one, only a few know how to handle one. And the sales-man doesn't know who can and who can't.
April 21st, 2007  
Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Wow, I see not a whole lot has changed! It was really enlightning to read about this ordeal. Banning guns, allowing them, gun knowledge, everybody grasping the idea on who is shooting whom etc. etc.... Has anybody actually pointed out that you might miss?
I read a lot of: I'd shoot him in the face! But what would you do if, under strain and full of adrenaline, you whip out your gun, take aim and blow an innocent student's head off? Is that just colateral damage? And for our gun waving friends I have another one. This Choi-guy was a "normal, legal cww man until he snapped. In my opinion there are a lot more people ready to snap at some point. I'd prefer to see him running around with a "broom stick or flash-light" instead of a loaded gun.

Guns are like expensive toys, everybody can buy one, only a few know how to handle one. And the sales-man doesn't know who can and who can't.
The legality of this man owning a gun is under question and according to the Gun Control Act of 1968 he should not have been allowed purchase any firearm post 2005, you clearly did not read enough throughly.

As for missing, that is a risk I would chance versus 32 people dead. The likelihood of missing at close range (like it would be) is rather slim. Most people that have a CCW have gone through at least basic training, have probably been around guns for a long time, and are typically clear headed individuals.

Furthermore the statistical evidence is so out of balanced of how many times bystanders have intervened with their CCW and stopped a crime or saved a life that it becomes a "no brainer".
April 22nd, 2007  
Marinerhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster <----Kind of blows the theory of restricting gun ownership out of the water.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...made+explosive <----Next thing you know they will be taking our bathroom cleaners and hair dyes and hygiene products away from us just in case some nutjob wants to use it as a bomb.

Anyone, Anyone, Anyone, with a little self education and motivation can make a bomb. You can probably ask some of the members on this forum, or go down to your local recruiter's office and ask about how effective IEDs really are. Improvised Explosive Devices, yeah...improvised, made from scrap, not manufactured, hand made from various items not intended for that use etc. You can make enough home-made C-4 in your bathtub to make the Oklahoma City bombing look like a firecracker.

We all would prefer that everyone just got along and there was peace and harmony all over the world. So life being what it is, this guy got it in his head to go out with a bang and took a bunch of people with him.

I would prefer to have seen someone have a weapon nearby or on-hand to have stopped this guy well before the 2nd person got shot. But life sucks and he killed people for whatever reasons he had in his head.

As for the salesman knowing who does and does not know how to handle them...that is like expecting the salesman to make sure that a woman knows which sanitary napkin to use for her period and making sure she uses it.

But there is a valid offshoot to your statement that I will make an observation on: If firearms in general were not legally available unless you went to a state controlled firearm safety class, I believe this would help increase awareness. This is not the same as saying you can not own a weapon, just saying you need to attend classes in the safe handling and shooting of a weapon, kind of like an extended wait period for handguns. Then again some may view this as an infringement of the right to bear arms.
April 22nd, 2007  
bulldogg

I made my first IED when I was 14. One of my creations left a crater in a field in Colorado that was 4 feet deep and big enough to put a car in. It doesn't take special materials... and NO I wont tell any of you young whipper snappers what materials so don't ask... and a little know how coupled with some balls to play with something that would remove even the ability of dental records to ID your steaming remains.
April 22nd, 2007  
Damien435

Quote:
More recently, just a few miles up the road from Virginia Tech, two law school students ran to fetch their legally owned firearm to stop a madman from slaughtering anybody and everybody he pleased. These brave, average, armed citizens neutralized him pronto.
Anybody have any proof of this? Last I heard (and I think the rest of the world will agree with my, with the exception of Ted Nugent) Cho killed himself by his own hand, without any help from a couple law school students.
April 22nd, 2007  
Bugfatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
Anybody have any proof of this? Last I heard (and I think the rest of the world will agree with my, with the exception of Ted Nugent) Cho killed himself by his own hand, without any help from a couple law school students.
He is talking about a different incident at different school.
April 22nd, 2007  
Donkey

Marinerhodes

In some states what you talk about exists...Such states as CT and MA require you to take a safety course, get letters of recommendation (about your character), and an approval from your local police chief for you to obtain your CCW alowing you to purchase and carry a handgun.

Links of reference:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legisla...tate.php?st=ct
http://www.packing.org/state/connecticut/

And myself; I have numerous friends with CCW as well as members of my family. I myself plan on getting one very soon.