why should recruiters be allowed in schools?

mandi

im doing another paper on the military, the new topic is why recruiters should be allowed in high schools and colleges. theres been a few schools, some around my area, that do not allow recruiters on their campuses, and im writing as to why they should be allowed there. does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Doesn't make much sense to me to bar one future employment possibility and let in all the others. If they ban recruiters they should ban businesses as well and they'll never do that. Banning recruiters is just a "feel good" policy for liberal elite educators. Too bad they don't know what the word "liberal" really means.

yup....have to agree here, the military is just another potential employer, and as long as their not saying things like "well you should drop out & join up" i don't think there should be any problems.

chewie_nz said:
yup....have to agree here, the military is just another potential employer, and as long as their not saying things like "well you should drop out & join up" i don't think there should be any problems.

Er you need a HS diploma or equivalent to sign up. I guess they could just drop out and try for the GED, but eh, you need to be 17 too, more than likely you have a single year to finish HS.

Chocobo_Blitzer said:
chewie_nz said:

Er you need a HS diploma or equivalent to sign up. I guess they could just drop out and try for the GED, but eh, you need to be 17 too, more than likely you have a single year to finish HS.

That depends on the military. For exampple, in Canada you only need a grade 10 education to join, and you only have to be 16 for the reserves.

mandi said:
im doing another paper on the military, the new topic is why recruiters should be allowed in high schools and colleges. theres been a few schools, some around my area, that do not allow recruiters on their campuses, and im writing as to why they should be allowed there. does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Hey, I like your rabbit.

We have no problems in Aussie schools. They are just seen as another employer.

Just the other week a navy chopper was going fron school to school in our area and the kids just loved it. They were talking mainly to 15 year olds.

What's the big deal about it in the states anyway :?:

Yeah Aussie schools are pretty good for that.
I know at the end of year 10 we had the defence force, BHP, various mining and engineering businesses plus local firms all at my school many years ago with job and trainee ship offers.
Same at the year of year 12.
Let the kids know that there are options out ther eready for them.

Whispering Death said:
Because our society needs a strong military to defend itself.

a truelly strong society shouldn't need a military to defend it. a country taht has made alot of enemies might though....

a truelly strong society shouldn't need a military to defend it.

Sorry, but that's a fool's paradise. Just as there's always some bully out there to pick on completely peaceful people, so are there nations who would always do the same to other nations. Europe tried having a non-militaristic society and their reward was Hitler. Do the same and it would happen again.

Charge_7 said:

Sorry, but that's a fool's paradise. Just as there's always some bully out there to pick on completely peaceful people, so are there nations who would always do the same to other nations. Europe tried having a non-militaristic society and their reward was Hitler. Do the same and it would happen again.

it may be a fools paradise....but its also true. and also off topic.

a society will survive purely on it's own merits, leaders change, borders move, life goes on...

the origional comment was along the lines of (the military needs to recruit in schools) becuase our society needs a strong military to defend it.

i hardly think that the western society is under threat of annihilation, as that particular comment made it sound.

chewie_nz said:
Charge_7 said:

a society will survive purely on it's own merits, leaders change, borders move, life goes on...

the origional comment was along the lines of (the military needs to recruit in schools) becuase our society needs a strong military to defend it.

i hardly think that the western society is under threat of annihilation, as that particular comment made it sound.

Wow that is wrong. So wrong I don't know where to start being as it's 5am. I'm not kidding when I say have you read a history book?

Whispering Death said:
chewie_nz said:
Charge_7 said:

Wow that is wrong. So wrong I don't know where to start being as it's 5am. I'm not kidding when I say have you read a history book?

meh, i stand by my comment unless you can show me how i'm wrong

So if I reply to your statement it's "off topic"? How convenient.

At the risk of being further off topic, ask the Native Americans of North and South America how well their culture is surviving, for that matter, ask your own aboriginal peoples. Those who cannot defend their culture lose it. Simple as that. Our society is under threat. Radical Muslims would have us all under their sway.

That's just one reason that recruiters should be allowed in schools, I stand by my earlier statement (which you agreed with) that they have just as much right to be there as any other employer.

Charge_7 said:
So if I reply to your statement it's "off topic"? How convenient.

At the risk of being further off topic, ask the Native Americans of North and South America how well their culture is surviving, for that matter, ask your own aboriginal peoples. Those who cannot defend their culture lose it. Simple as that. Our society is under threat. Radical Muslims would have us all under their sway.

That's just one reason that recruiters should be allowed in schools, I stand by my earlier statement (which you agreed with) that they have just as much right to be there as any other employer.

exactly...

my mentioning of being off topic wasn't a dig, i was noting that we were ALL sliding off topic! :)

What the Liberals can't see is that our military strength is way down, we have the world first Volunteer army and too few volunteers. Statistics show that the military have over 3.5 million million men serving in 1946, 2.5 million active one million reserves. Now its like 550,000 active and 600,000 reserves.(Not approximate numbers on today’s military strength)

The recruiters are looking for new volunteers for the future which isn't looking very bright in the case of our military because today it is normal to be anti-American and anti-military, and normal to insult or troops.

Another example, in 1946 we had 1.2 million tanks and today just over 6,000. The reason being that we have a smaller army, like after the cold war our military downsized. (Not approximate numbers on today’s military strength)

I just do not see the negatives of having recruiters on campus, does anyone have a reason that they shouldn't be allowed?

chewie_nz said:

Virtually every society throughtout history that survided for long periods of time did it with the help of a strong military, from the Egyptians, to the Greeks, to the Romans, all the way to todays Democratic Western Civilzation.

Is there even any evindence in history that a society (who didn't live in vitual isolation) hadn't at one point relied on their military to defend them?

Besides, a truely strong society will eventualy make enemies because of its strenght in its beliefs, its the weak ones who cower and cater to outside forces there are plenty of examples of what happened to them.

it may be a fools paradise....but its also true.

Yes, but only inside a fools paradise of their own making, not in the real world. I have to agree with most people here about this particular statement.

As far as proof, it is practically all of history as stated above.

Next off-topic post gets a one-day ban for the poster, every one of you has been around here long enough to know the rules. Follow them.

Mandi, my personal stance is that given the amount of funding poured into schools at all levels from the government, telling the government that it cannot recruit on campuses should immediately be followed by a withdrawal of all funding, given a week, I believe the recruiting "problem" would suddenly lose significance to the faculty once they were confronted with a real problem rather than having to create crises.

On this campus, the Military Science Department and the other recruiters are being campaigned against by the Multicultural Center and some Social Sciences professors because of the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Back