Why do people have to be so repulsive?

She shouldn't have argued the gratuity as it was restaurant policy, but locking the family in and calling the police was excessive.

Agree with you both. I also think this restaurant didn't do itself any favors at wall with this stunt. No one wants to be locked in a building, especially one that smells like fish>:eek:

I've always believed that a tip is a way for the customer to say "thank you" for either good service or a nice meal.
Unfortunately nowdays it become expected, with some restaurants adding it automatically to the bill.
I tip good service, but I make sure that the cash goes into the hand of the person who has served me. If they then pool it and share it out among their co-workers, thats up to them.
I certainly will not pay if it is automatically added to the bill.

Who ever checks that the correct amount of money is paid to staff from the bills and I can't help but wonder just how much of this money winds up in some else's pocket

The quality of the service warrants the size of the tip. I always tip, but the better the job, the better I tip. Restaurant fail.

If an amount is listed, it immediately ceases to be a gratuity, as the very word "gratuity" implies that it is given voluntarily.

Any lawyer who has passed the bar would have them suing the restaurant for false imprisonment.

As in any job you pay for good service, you don't have to pay extra to get it, any employee giving less than their absolute best does not deserve to have a job.

Last edited:
Oh....heh heh. That's not even the video I was trying to show everybody. What a dork am I. ALTHOUGH, this is certainly another classic example of people behaving badly...the restaurant staff, I mean. I'll try to post the link to the video I was initially referring to.

Automatic gratuity for a large party of people is the fancy way of say Surcharge.

I tip 20%-25% when the service is good. When it's not I leave a quarter on the table.... That sends a very loud message. No tip sends none except they think you're a cheap ass. I don't approve of automatic gratuity. F#@% that!

But then again the customers were also asshats.

Automatic gratuity for a large party of people is the fancy way of say Surcharge.

I tip 20%-25% when the service is good. When it's not I leave a quarter on the table.... That sends a very loud message. No tip sends none except they think you're a cheap ass. I don't approve of automatic gratuity. F#@% that!

But then again the customers were also asshats.

Absolutely, 5.56!!! There are already too many people in this country getting something for nothing!

For some more enlightenment, if a restaurant wants to cut on it's taxes and does not legally employ a server the server ONLY works for tips and gets nothing hourly. This happens much more frequently than people realize and people that choose not to tip or tip two dollars on a $40 meal are really hurting others. If you can afford a $40 meal you can afford a 20% tip. (If the service was decent of course).

p.s. Sometimes people get grated because they have been to said restaurant before and not tipped.

p.s.s. This all being said, if one is going out to eat one should have the money and grace to tip at LEAST 15% for decent service.

Last edited:
If you care to look carefully at this problem I think that you will find that "tipping" is really no more than a tax dodge designed to make it impossible for the tax office to accurately determine a taxpayer's wages.

After all we are not talking a few dollars pin money here. As Pixie pointed out there are people willing to fight for a job earning no more than tips, they would not do this for less than the basic wage.

I have to pay my taxes, why should I be expected to help someone else avoid paying their fair share.

Last edited:
Went out for a meal last night.
The surroundings were beautiful, the food excellent and the service first class.
When it came time to pay, the card machine gave me the option to include the "Gratuity". I declined.
As I left, I gave the tip to the waiter who had served us all evening.
Its then up to him if he pools it with the others.
The thing I noticed in this restaurant was how some waiters worked harder than others.
I do not see why I should tip someone who has not served me, or worked as hard as the waiter who did.

If you care to look carefully at this problem I think that you will find that "tipping" is really no more than a tax dodge designed to make it impossible for the tax office to accurately determine a taxpayer's wages.

After all we are not talking a few dollars pin money here. As Pixie pointed out there are people willing to fight for a job earning no more than tips, they would not do this for less than the basic wage.

I have to pay my taxes, why should I be expected to help someone else avoid paying their fair share.
While I agree with you in principle, serving jobs are easy jobs to come by. Sometimes it's not the person's choice to be on a waitstaff, that is just what is available at the time. You shouldn't punish the ones that are working hard.

BUT - Restaurants should be taking the burden off the customers. They should be paying their employees a fair wage so tipping is not necessary. (Then of course would be seeing our menu prices go up then and we'd have something else to complain about!)

When it came time to pay, the card machine gave me the option to include the "Gratuity". I declined.
As I left, I gave the tip to the waiter who had served us all evening.
Its then up to him if he pools it with the others.
The thing I noticed in this restaurant was how some waiters worked harder than others.
I do not see why I should tip someone who has not served me, or worked as hard as the waiter who did.
This is a GREAT point! I hate it when restaurants pool their tips. It is NOT fair to the ones that are working harder and are better servers!

***However, giving a separate tip can also be a huge issue. Years ago I worked at a restaurant where if you were given a personal tip they would fire you if you declined to pool it (and you were caught).***

I think the gratuity system is a fair one. Where I come from it is "included" but some people still give a tip. I don't know if someone declares his tips yes or no and I don't care. It's his responsability and I don't know the fiscal laws about tips in the US.

A couple of months ago we dined in a restaurant in Pego (Spain). It was run by an Algerian couple. The food was delicious and we thanked them both personally. They appreciated that very much and we got an extra free drink.
When we payed we said to keep the change.

Back