WHY? - Page 2

--

May 12th, 2018  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
The Israeli wars in 1967 and 1973 confirms what you are saying. The Syrians and the Egyptians were issued Russian tanks, maybe not their latest version, but what they had was the best Russian tanks in the 1950s. I have only watched one doc about the Korean war and I don't really want to draw any conclusions from the doc (battle tanks, or something like that) But both sides used what I know mostly tanks from the Second World War. They might have been updated since then, but still
I guess there is a reason the Korean war is called the forgotten war.

To be honest I am in a similar position and know nothing about the Korean war mainly because my father never spoke about it (although he spoke readily about his WW2 service), my overall impression is that Korea is not a terrain suited to armoured warfare.
May 17th, 2018  
I3BrigPvSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I guess there is a reason the Korean war is called the forgotten war.

To be honest I am in a similar position and know nothing about the Korean war mainly because my father never spoke about it (although he spoke readily about his WW2 service), my overall impression is that Korea is not a terrain suited to armoured warfare.
We can begin to watch docs and read about the Korean war and maybe we can find something interesting to discuss. We will probably increase our knowledge about it too.
May 18th, 2018  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
We can begin to watch docs and read about the Korean war and maybe we can find something interesting to discuss. We will probably increase our knowledge about it too.
The only thing I know about the Korean War was the TV series ""MASH""

Oh, I do know Michael Caine served in Korea. Not a lot of people know that.
--
May 18th, 2018  
I3BrigPvSk

The little I know about the Korean war is; The North attacked South and they were initially successful. The North Korean offensive was halted around the bridgehead around the port city Pusan (southeast of South Korea) The allied launched a counter offensive and conducted an amphibian assault at, I will spell this wrong, Itiun. It doesn't matter much, they landed west of Seoul. The Allied offensive continued across the North/South border. When they approached the Chinese border, the Chinese got pissed about it and intervened in the war. The Chinese/North Korean forces pushed the allied back to more or less where the border is today. After that, the war turned into something that reminds of the First World War
May 19th, 2018  
BritinAfrica

If I remember correctly MacArthur wanted to use nukes, I believe he was stopped by the US president.
May 19th, 2018  
I3BrigPvSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
If I remember correctly MacArthur wanted to use nukes, I believe he was stopped by the US president.
Yes, Truman fired him. If he did that because of he wanted to use nukes or if there was something more behind the decision to sack MacArthur, I don't know.

MacArthur had a huge ego and that can be disturbing.
May 19th, 2018  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Yes, Truman fired him. If he did that because of he wanted to use nukes or if there was something more behind the decision to sack MacArthur, I don't know.

MacArthur had a huge ego and that can be disturbing.
So did Patton have a huge ego. In my opinion there is more to his death then meets the eye
May 19th, 2018  
I3BrigPvSk

Quote:
So did Patton have a huge ego. In my opinion there is more to his death then meets the eye
Maybe, there are theories about it.

I have found something about the Korean war. The majority of the weapons were from the Second World War. I assume they were updated. That's not case for what happened in the air. Both sides had fighter jets. The Americans had the Sabre and the NK/China had MIG-15 and MIG-17. The Americans may had a jet bomber too. I'm thinking about a bomber plane, but I don't remember what it was called
May 19th, 2018  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Maybe, there are theories about it.

I have found something about the Korean war. The majority of the weapons were from the Second World War. I assume they were updated. That's not case for what happened in the air. Both sides had fighter jets. The Americans had the Sabre and the NK/China had MIG-15 and MIG-17. The Americans may had a jet bomber too. I'm thinking about a bomber plane, but I don't remember what it was called
As a matter of interest the MIG15's flew with a Rolls Royce Nene engines thanks to Sir Stafford Cripps and the Labour Party
May 19th, 2018  
I3BrigPvSk

Quote:
As a matter of interest the MIG15's flew with a Rolls Royce Nene engines thanks to Sir Stafford Cripps and the Labour Party
Yes, I know. I bet the British government regretted that...

Shall we ask Red about moving the Korean war part of this thread to the modern war section?

Norway had its National Day the 17th this month so he might have a hangover still