Why I Own A Assault Weapon.

No, it's the fact that real assault weapons (NOT the ones they usually try to ban) like the Kalashnikov and AR-15 were originally designed to be used in combat, and are most useful in this role.

The problem is that lots of "civilian rifles" were originally designed as combat weapons.

Virtually all bolt-action hunting rifles are just a copy of various combat rifles which were the "assault weapons" of their time.

The only difference between civilian and military "assault weapons" is the absence of a selective fire option on the former. Which I guess in some views make them more deadly than semi-auto only rifles. My opinion is that doesn't since full auto in a rifle is used mostly for supressive purposes rather than taking out multiple targets at once like in the movies.

But I don't know what your opinion is on private full-auto ownership but I'll say this anyway for the whole forum.

The 2nd amendment itself was "designed" with combat and war in mind. It was not "designed" for hunting or sport shooting. So idea that true military rifles can be banned or restricted is simply wrong and every NFA act since 1934 is an infringement.

I guess my points are that being designed with combat in mind doesn't make a gun more deadly than those that aren't and that it shouldn't even matter considering the context of the 2nd amendment.

Last edited:
God help us!!!!!!!!!!:biggun: :9mm: :m16shoot:

I'd rather not myself, I'd rather have a good assault weapon so I can help myself and those about me.

If you are one of these mealy mouthed God botherers who believe that "the meek will inherit the earth", I would strongly recommend that you see about getting your medication reviewed.

"God helps those who are willing to get off their a*se and help themselves."

God help us!!!!!!!!!!:biggun: :9mm: :m16shoot:

I agree with Seno

FUNKIIs45.jpg

Last edited:
I'd rather not myself, I'd rather have a good assault weapon so I can help myself and those about me.

If you are one of these mealy mouthed God botherers who believe that "the meek will inherit the earth", I would strongly recommend that you see about getting your medication reviewed.

"God helps those who are willing to get off their a*se and help themselves."

Lets just hope that you obey the law in whatever situation that you find yourself in when you feel the need to use your weapon old son.

I don't think "old son" shows proper respect for another member. If senojekips had wanted that title, he probably would have put in his profile. This is a just warning this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had no problems for over 40 years of gun ownership, I guess I'll get by.

The biggest problem is that people like yourself seem to think that because a man likes to use a weapon that doesn't suit your own taste, he is some kind of stereotypical redneck retard.

And what is it that makes you think I would NOT obey the law? I probably have a better record of compliance with the law than you. My most severe infringement is two parking tickets in forty years.

God is best turned to when one still has threats to life and limb but has sadly run out of ammo.

If the case were made today where the U.S. Government still forced by law citizens (at their own expense) to keep and bear Arms, even as a Civilian, as was the case in Federal Law from 1792 until the beginning of the 20th century, I would say there would be something for people not liking guns to complain about, but the Law requiring most male citizens of the Nation to keep Arms at the ready was changed in 1906.

So, today, the United States Federal Government is not forcing by law any Civilian to keep or bear Arms, at this point in time. Although State and Local Laws may still be in affect in parts of the United States of America.

If there are people who do not wish to keep and or bear Arms, and feel that they just cannot function in a society which allows Citizens to keep and bear Arms, and wish to change things, well there are Nations on this Earth without such a right.

I asked this question in another thread but didn't get a reply, how are the militias regulated in america? What kind of system is in place to decide whether a militia is or is not regulated?

In the United States of America, in Title 10 of the United States Code, in Subtitle A, PART I, CHAPTER 13, § 311...... The Militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

Last edited:
The home of every male Swiss national between the ages of 19 and 48 contains at least one military weapon. This is estimated at 460,000 - 490,000 weapons, yet the Swiss have one of the lowest rates of homicide or crime involving firearms in the world.

The home of every male Swiss national between the ages of 19 and 48 contains at least one military weapon. This is estimated at 460,000 - 490,000 weapons, yet the Swiss have one of the lowest rates of homicide or crime involving firearms in the world.

Perhaps the Swiss Government does not view its Citizens as idiots and or potential criminals.... and it sounds like the Swiss Government treats its Adult Citizens as Adults with all the duties and responsibilities of being a Citizen.

Freedom is not free, it is paid for in blood time, and time again.... and having freedom is not always the safest thing in the World, but in my opinion it is better to die free than it would be to live as a slave.

But I don't know what your opinion is on private full-auto ownership but I'll say this anyway for the whole forum.

My opinion on private full-auto ownership is HELL YES. I'm most likely never going to be invovled in a popular revolt against the government, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't love owning an MG-42 for recreational purposes!

http://www.gca.org.za/facts/briefs/10switzerland.htm
Despite claims that Switzerland is one of the most armed countries in the world, only 27% of Swiss households have firearms, 60% of which are military weapons.
After basic training, each soldier receives a military firearm and ammunition to keep at home, to facilitate rapid mobilisation of the armed forces. The ammunition is received in a sealed box, which may be opened only in a warlike emergency. The box and the seal on it are checked during every service, that is at least once every year.
So only after the rigorous training you are put through in basic training are you allowed a rifle, you can't use it for your own self defence either. So only about 11% of swiss homes have privately owned weapons.

Last edited:
So only after the rigorous training you are put through in basic training are you allowed a rifle, you can't use it for your own self defence either. So only about 11% of swiss homes have privately owned weapons.

You are really snatching at straws now. I also read that article and several others before I posted my initial statement.

Do you not think that persons can purchase ammunition of their own?

The statement that it can't be used for self defence holds about as much water as our laws that state "You won't break the speed limit". A simple statement that the use is not allowed is not going to stop a person from using it. This is doubly so, if that person has criminal intent. Hell, they are criminals, they are already breaking the law, do you think that it will deter them because the government says you can't use it for your own purposes.

Your post in no way refutes the fact that there are in excess of 460,000 military weapons in Swiss homes, and that the by their own admission they have one of the lowest rates of criminal activity involving firearms in the world.

Have you got an answer about banning the non essential use of motor vehicles yet? Or are you, as I surmised just a person who hates to see others get pleasure out of something that you do not?

I strongly suggest that you revise your priorities if you have a legitimate interest in lowering the death toll.

For your information and education, there is another thread on this Forum regarding the past record of Firearms Control around the world with a very interesting paragraph at the end focusing on Australia. I suggest that you take a peek. http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/gun-control-statistics-remember-t33364.html

Last edited:
Military weapons issued by the government. Put all firearm holders in the US through basic training like the swiss as it seems you do like their system.
Do you not think that persons can purchase ammunition of their own?
Sounds like an argument for gun control.
Unlike South Africa, with its high firearm ownership and homicide rate
So it can't work in every country?
Your post in no way refutes the fact that there are in excess of 460,000 military weapons in Swiss homes, and that the by their own admission they have one of the lowest rates of criminal activity involving firearms in the world.
Maybe because the standard of living in Switzerland is so much higher than the US and other countries.

Why would you offer such a ridiculous argument for gun control, we have just pointed out that regardless of the availability of military firearms held by the general population, they already have one of the lowest firearms related crime rates in the world.

If you are trying to convince me that you have no idea whatsoever what you are talking about, you are doing a very good job.

I do notice that you never try to answer my question regarding the saving of many more lives by the banning of the use of non essential use of motor vehicles.

Now, regarding the South African problem let me hear what you know, because my son who served for nine years, three years of which were spent with the SASR, is at present in South Africa working as a farm house protection and anti poaching officer based in Hodspruit. He's the one on the right with the snake.
allan2.jpg

I am really interested to hear you expound your vast knowledge on this subject as you do with many other subjects you obviously know little or nothing about. I am rapidly coming to the opinion that you are not a military person at all, but more likely a poser who gets his jollies off by going onto sites and passing himself off as a member of the services. Your general military knowledge and weapons skills are at very best abysmal. If you are actually a serving member and I ever find out who you are I would be very tempted to send your CO some of the drivel that you have posted here, I'm sure he would be horrified.

My, my, you do have a way of dropping yourself in the poo don't you? See, this is what happens when you talk sh1t about things that you have no knowledge of. Eventually you get caught out.

For those who are interested The rifle is a Brno .458 Winchester Magnum to discourage lions when they do two week foot patrols in the bush.

As for your last stupid statement, I feel that there may be some disagreement from some of the members of the forum who know somewhat more than yourself or I about the alleged "low standard of living" in the United States. I won't even go there

Oh,... and dont forget, Have you got that answer about banning the non essential use of motor vehicles yet? Or are you, as I surmised all along just an idiot who hates to see others get pleasure out of something that you do not?

Last edited:
Why would you offer such a ridiculous argument for gun control, we have just pointed out that regardless of the availability of military firearms held by the general population, they already have one of the lowest firearms related crime rates in the world.
Read it again, these people are given weapons because they are soldiers.
I do notice that you never try to answer my question regarding the saving of many more lives by the banning of the use of non essential use of motor vehicles.
Ban them then, if you an offer an alternative.
I am really interested to hear you expound your vast knowledge on this subject as you do with many other subjects you obviously know little or nothing about.
I took the quote from the article you said you had read.http://www.gca.org.za/facts/statistics.htm pretty grim.
I am rapidly coming to the opinion that you are not a military person at all, but more likely a poser who gets his jollies off by going onto sites and passing himself off as a member of the services. Your general military knowledge and weapons skills are at very best abysmal. If you are actually a serving member and I ever find out who you are I would be very tempted to send your CO some of the drivel that you have posted here, I'm sure he would be horrified.
Someone has a difference of opinion and you call them a fake? You don't know my general military knowledge or my weapon skills because we have not talked about them. I carried a rifle for 3 months 24/7 without a single problem and will do so again for 6 months, a bit more responsibility than that shovel you carried in your service.

Lower standard of living in the USA? So does that mean that the millions of illegals the cross the US Border come here because they want to be poorer than they are in their own nation? Why is it that in America, 60% of the poor own cars and 80% own cell phones? Why is it that America is the only country where it's poor class doesn't die of starvation but of obesity?

Please explain my lower standard of living. Please explain how I can afford to buy $2,000 rifles. Please explain how I can afford going to Argentina for hunting trips. Please explain how I can afford cable TV and high speed internet. Please explain how I can afford a Perosnal Computer. Please explain how I can afford and pay off a 2002 Ford F-150 Picup Truck in less than one year. Please explain how I can afford a four bedroom, three bathroom, two car garage with AC/Heater and bi-monthly gardener. Please explain how I can afford my life style and not own a single dime or nickle to a single person.

If America is such a poor nation, please explain why WE fund the UN. Please explain why WE rebuilt Eurpoe and Japan after WWII. Please explain how WE can afford the billions that we give in foreign aid. Please explain how WE fund NASA and the GPS system.

Please, explain......

Have you ever lived in the USA? Have you ever seen what the USA really is? Have you ever spent time in places like Texas, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Colorado, or Alaska? Have you ever been to places like Oklahoma where deer hunting is such a part of the community that they close schools on the first day of deer season so the kids can go hutning with their parents? Have you ever been to central Florida where they open the schools on the second week of September instead of the first because on the first week Dove season opens? Have you ever been to a three gun competition where civilians compete against military and law enforcement personal with the same firearms that you wish to ban? Have you ever been to a IPSC or IDPA shot where folks compete with firearms that cost more than your car?

I think not, since you haven't lived in the USA or have ever truly seen what America is with firearm I think that you should shut up and sit down before you piss of someone. WE didn't fight for our freedom for it to be taken away. Telling our soldiers that it is illegal for them to own firearms as civilians isn't a smart move. Most of the soldiers are folks that grew up shooting their whole lives. Our best combat troops in history were folks that grew up hunting and shooting.

America is a land of gun owners and freedom lovers. We take our gun rights very seriously.

WRONG!!... again, they are NOT full time regular soldiers they are in fact civilians doing national service.

What, are you trying to change sides now? I don't have to offer an alternative, it is YOU who has always been suggesting that we lower the death toll by getting rid of non essential forms of enjoyment that cause loss of life. As i have stressed all along this would save probably 100 times as many lives as your limp wristed idea.

Yes, you spout of about things you have read without bothering to read both sides of the argument.

The reason that I feel you are a phoney is because you do not show any of the characteristics that persons could reasonably expect of a serviceman.

As for your skills, you made all sorts of wild and inaccurate statements about the use and accuracy of assault rifles something the average soldier should know a little more about and have the skills to demonstrate, not rely on what he has been told by others or has "seen". If this is your opinion after having used the weapons in question I would say that either your knowledge base is too narrow or you just can't handle a weapon. either way it is not a nice thought if you are a serviceman. You have made your judgements based on your own poor weapon skills and lack of knowledge.

One thing is for sure, I have used a far greater variety of weapons than you and certainly have a lot more time under my belt using them having qualified as a marksman in every annual shoot that I attended in my 12 years of service with endorsements at one time or another for every smallarm except the .38 service revolver, with which I will admit i couldn't hit the side of a house. (not the weapon's fault) I made the team in two interservice shoots and would have been in more except for the fact that I was out of the country.

You may by some considerable stretch of the imagination be a serviceman (God help us), but it seems that you are certainly afraid of firearms and can't stand the thought of someone getting enjoyment out of something that you cannot manage.

Having at long last realised that I will never educate an idiot (yes,... I'm thick too), I may as well give up on this line of attack and ask if you have any other hare brained ideas that you would like to visit on humanity. I'm sure that the forum members would appreciate hearing them.

Last edited:
The term Assault Weapon was created in the USA to describe the semi-automatic rifle of military design. And I hate to burst your bubble.

ANY WEAPON IN THE HANDS OF A MADMAN IS DEADLY. It coulbe be a tire iron or a nuclear device.

If you stand still and do nothing, then yes, but it is defenetly easyer to defend yourself against a tire iron then a gun. Distance is a key issue in my opinion.

"Why is it that America is the only country where it's poor class doesn't die of starvation but of obesity?"

McDonalds? :p
Sorry 56, I just couldn't resist! :mrgreen:

Last edited:

I would like to see where that group (with an obvious agenda) got he numbers for there percentages...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland

Now to my knowledge the people can buy all the extra ammo they want and shoot the gun as much as they want...The inspection of the ammo and the seal is for the purposes of making sure it is available in a national emergency not to control the people with the guns...However people take these things and twist it around...

I mean that information source your provided is soooooooooo one sided and biased it isn't even funny and I am doubting the statistics found in it....

Last edited:
Put all citizens through military basic training who want to own military weapons and I think it would be reasonable to let them have them if they commit themselves to a government controlled organisation.

It is not Switzerland's cultural makeup, or its gun policies per se, that explain that low crime rate. Rather, it is the emphasis on community duty, of which gun ownership is the most important part, that best explains low crime rate.

In Cities With Little Crime, author Marshall Clinard contrasts the low crime rate in Switzerland with the higher rate in Sweden, where gun control is more extensive. The higher Swedish rate is all the more surprising in view of Sweden's much lower population density and its ethnic homogeneity. One of the reasons for the low crime rate, says Clinard, is that Swiss cities grew relatively slowly. Most families live for generations in the same area. Therefore, large, heterogeneous cities with slum cultures never developed.

Thus, American gun owners must win the gun control argument based on conditions in America, not conditions in Switzerland. The implicit argument of Clinard (and of most American gun controllers) is that while the Swiss may be responsible enough to own even the deadliest guns, Americans are not.

Before rejecting this argument, American gun owners might wonder if an unmanned American mass transit system could count on payment by the honour code. Further, America obviously has a large criminal class of gun abusers, and Switzerland does not.

What have we learned from Switzerland?' Guns in themselves are not a cause of gun crime; if they were, everyone in Switzerland would long ago have been shot in a domestic quarrel. Cultural conditions, not gun laws, are the most important factors in a nation's crime rate. Young adults in Washington, D.C., are subject to strict gun control, but no social control, and they commit a staggering amount of armed crime. Young adults in Zurich are subject to minimal gun control, but strict social control, and they commit almost no crime.

America-with its traditions of individual liberty-cannot import Switzerland's culture of social control. Teenagers, women, and almost everyone else have more freedom in America than in Switzerland.

http://guncite.com/swissgun-kopel.html

A very objective view I think. Written in 1990, I don't think much has changed in 17 years.

Back