Why I Own A Assault Weapon.

I can do every bit as well with a variety of assault rifles, submachine guns, and machineguns. Well, I could, (past tense) and I'm sure that given a few mags and a little time I could regain that accuracy very easily. Unfortunately I never bothered to take photos when all of these weapons were legal as I never thought anything of it. It was only the realization that those last few shots would be some of the last legal fully auto shots fired in South Australia that made me get my wife to take a photo. It was taken on the day before the new laws came into effect.

ak47.jpg

This was taken on the same day with many others before the weapons were disposed of.

Just for your elucidation Wallabies, not only am i a good shot with a variety of weapon types, I didn't make a bad reproduction either. My skills are not limited purely to putting lead downrange. You may care to note that in photo 2 the weapon is not rising and I still maintain a good sight picture, I have not lifted my head.

sten1.jpg
sten3.jpg

All tested for accuracy and function before they were sent to their new owners.

sten5.jpg
sten2a.jpg

This one had something no genuine sten ever had, a flash eliminator, supplied at the customers request. I apologise for the quality as some are taken off 30 year old slides. My daughter in the third photo is picking up the shells for reloading.

Not everyone is a clueless idiot who can't control a weapon, as you would like to imply.

Last edited:
I'm just speaking from experience seno. Bursts are let off some of the time with the F88 and the results arn't pretty with the first round in the middle of the target, the second at the top, and the 3rd completely missing. Argue with that if you will, or is everyone in todays army a complete numpty?

No. I'm sure the Army has some excellent shots who could put me in the shade very quickly.

It's just that perhaps I don't like people making broad statements about things that I know are not always correct. It is true that weapons of this type can be notoriously inaccurate in Burst or Auto mode, but it does not always have to be.

My son was an armourer at Campbell barracks for three years and I got to try an F88 just once, I can hardly judge them from that, plus I only fired semi auto. The particular weapon was tricked up with Picatinny rail and all manner of accessories which I feel probably made it even worse to handle, basically I felt that it handled clumsily (just my impression). All i can say is that they wouldn't be my pick in a fight.

Last edited:
Where do I get my experince with firearms.

I've been a hunter for my whole life. After that I served in the US Army, after that I became a Federal Firearms Dealer and Gun Smith, now I am a police officer.

l_ae1abc974a2c1097f4303c16e27d8a6f.gif

That is me at the store that I used to run. We sold firearms to every class of citizen. Private Civilian, Police Officer, Fire Fighter, and Military Service Member. We sold firearms to all people of all walks of life.

We had Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms & Explosives agents rubbing elbows right next to McDonalds' burger cookers. Both would eye the same firearm and discuss it's values in terms of looks, worth, art-form, and lastly effectiveness in self defense. The very agents that police firearms would be asked by the common citizen for advice.

Col. John Cooper came up with the best term of folks like you Wallabies.

You suffer from hoplophobia - an irrational fear of weapons.

2nd Amenment - Unites States of America

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WHAT PART OF ""SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND!

I do not understand why people are so afraid of a simple tool. It does not have a mind of it's own. It is just a machine with metal, wood, and plastic. It is not designed to kill, it is designed to be used by it's owner.

Firearms do not kill people, people kill people.

I agree with you there, but you have to admit, firearms are expressly designed to kill stuff. While cars can be deadly weapons, they are designed to transport you from point A to point B, not to transport a bullet into the brain of your adversary.

That being said, I believe that in the right hands (not a criminal/maniac:m16shoot:), they actually make the place safer rather than more dangerous.

firearms are expressly designed to kill stuff.

There must be somthing wrong with my guns then.:(

They havn't killed anything since I've bought them.:p

But seriously. Is a baseball bat designed to kill? After all, club-like instruments were initially meant to bash heads in.

Last edited:
Happier Days.

A photo that disproves much of the disinformation that military weapons cannot be used for game hunting, or as in this case vermin control.

dingo1976.jpg

By the time we got the truck stopped that dingo was 200+ yards away and dodging through the saltbush as fast as his legs would carry him. The ability to have a second and third quick shot was all that allowed me to hit him right up the rump with the projectile coming out his RH front shoulder. I seriously doubt that I would have got him with a bolt action.

Taken 1976 on the Strezlecki track en route to the Moomba gas field. Just for interest, the truck is a B51 Mack "Thermodyne" fitted with a 17 speed Roadranger gearbox, a four speed "quad box" and split diff giving 136 forward gear combinations, and starting off loaded in deep sand you needed nearly every one of them. Three gearsticks often used two at a time it could be a real juggling act to get going.

The rifle is a 1965 FN FAL made under licence in Australia. S/N 990224 I shot the barrel out once and had it re barrelled finally disposing of it for parts after putting nearly 12,000+ rounds through it mainly for vermin control shooting donkeys, goats and roos from a chopper.

Last edited:
I asked this question in another thread but didn't get a reply, how are the militias regulated in america? What kind of system is in place to decide whether a militia is or is not regulated?

Last edited:
I asked this question in another thread but didn't get a reply, how are the militias regulated in america? What kind of system is in place to decide whether a militia is or is not regulated?

The answer you get depends on the state so instead of boring you with 50 guessed answers I'll just say that some states have "state defense forces" which take part in disastor relief and others don't have anything.

Other than that, militias are not regulated by any authority while a few states have anti-militia laws, some don't.

Last edited:
A fully automatic weapon does not necessarily mean it's a machine gun...

People don't like the truth or what makes logical sense since it isn't as fun....

Their is a psychological explanation for this but I am having a problem at the moment forming an accurate answer that makes sense....

There must be somthing wrong with my guns then.:(

They havn't killed anything since I've bought them.:p

But seriously. Is a baseball bat designed to kill? After all, club-like instruments were initially meant to bash heads in.

Just because it's intended to kill doesn't mean it has to. After all, it's just a tool. But you really can't deny that true assault weapons are in fact designed to kill people. Not that I have a problem with them; I intend to own a few within a couple years.

But you really can't deny that true assault weapons are in fact designed to kill people.

I think you're falling for anti-gun propaganda here.

What exactly is designed into an "assault weapon" that makes it more apt at ending human life?

Is it the pistol grip that makes killing so much easier? The carrying handle? The plastic stock? Is it the detachable magazines? The "military style" peep sights?

No, it's the fact that real assault weapons (NOT the ones they usually try to ban) like the Kalashnikov and AR-15 were originally designed to be used in combat, and are most useful in this role.

ML, personally, I think that these weapons are serving a much better purpose being used for hunting and collecting than being used for war.

It's their use in war that should be banned and their use by the civil population should be encouraged.

Last edited:
Back