Why not build smaller Aircraft Carriers?

Smaller Aircraft Carriers

• Total voters
agree

What war are you talking about? If you mean the Falklands War that was 1982.

If that is what you mean then you are correct, if the Argentines had waited a few months they would still be in the Falklands as the dozy British Government had those carriers up for sale.

There were rumours that Prime Minister Harold Wilson was a Soviet Mole, as he was forever in Moscow, I'm wondering if Cameron the British Prime Minister is an Al Qaeda mole as he seems hell bent on reducing British Forces to a point where we can't protect the Isle of Wight, let alone the British Isles.

Sorry got my date wrong JOC, I agree!

Sorry got my date wrong JOC, I agree!

The Falklands War was won by the skin of our teeth. If I remember correctly Rear Admiral Woodward stated that he could only keep the fleet on station for another three weeks before he would need to withdraw, luckily the Argentine's surrendered before that time frame.

The Falklands War was won by the skin of our teeth. If I remember correctly Rear Admiral Woodward stated that he could only keep the fleet on station for another three weeks before he would need to withdraw, luckily the Argentine's surrendered before that time frame.
If the Santa Fe's torpedo guy hadn't screwed up.....

If the Santa Fe's torpedo guy hadn't screwed up.....

Westland Wessex HAS.3 anti-submarine helicopter from HMS Antrim, and attacked with depth charges. This attack caused extensive internal damage, including the splitting of a ballast tank, the dismounting of electrical components and shocks to the machinery. As the submarine struggled to return to Grytviken on the surface, HMS Plymouth launched a Westland Wasp HAS.1 helicopter, and HMS Brilliant launched a Westland Lynx HAS.2. The Lynx dropped a Mk 46 torpedo, which failed to strike home, but strafed the submarine with its pintle-mounted 7.62 mm L7 General Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG). The Wessex also fired on the Santa Fe with its GPMG. The Wasp from HMS Plymouth as well as two other Wasps launched from HMS Endurance fired AS-12 air-to-surface anti-ship missiles at the submarine scoring hits. Santa Fe's men and the marines onshore attempted to fight off the attack by firing their rifles, machine guns and an old Bantam antitank missile on the aircraft, but the Argentine boat was damaged badly enough to prevent her from submerging or even from sailing away. The crew abandoned the listing submarine at the jetty at King Edward Point on South Georgia and surrendered, along with the Argentine garrison, to the British forces. Brilliant's diving officer, Lt. Chris Sherman, went down to place a charge to disable the submarine further, and blew off its rudder.

Back