why no tax on fatty foods?

therise21

After reading this article posted by team infidel in the news section
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080215/D8UR12FO0.html
it dawned on me that while cigarette smokers face ever higher taxes because of the health risks that cigarettes cause, why isnt there a tax on fatty, unhealthy foods that cause similar effects? This is clearly an example of discrimination against smokers, and the situation should be rectified.

Not everyone is adversely affected by fatty food, only those who over indulge. Whereas cigarettes are a luxury without any benefit to anyone other than pleasure.

I agree that people shouldn't be allowed to smoke in public buildings, as that affects others, but the taxation is kind of ridiculous. It's their life and it should be their decision whether or not to smoke. Not everyone wants to live forever.

I agree that people shouldn't be allowed to smoke in public buildings, as that affects others

I tend to the other way on this one, either smoking is a legal activity in which case you should be able to smoke any where you please (with the exception of private dwellings by request and areas where it could have an adverse reaction) or its illegal in which case it should be banned.

Placing restrictions and over taxing it "because it is bad" is just plain wrong to me.

PS: I am a non-smoker.

The thing that I don't understand and find annoying is why is it that healthy food is more expensive than junk food? Then folks complain about Americans being too fat. This seems very backwards and retarded to me.

Actually I vaguely remember a fatty tax was suggested in Congress, I never heard anything more than that so the bill must have died.

I agree that people shouldn't be allowed to smoke in public buildings, as that affects others, but the taxation is kind of ridiculous. It's their life and it should be their decision whether or not to smoke. Not everyone wants to live forever.

Tax on Tobacco is just a political mechanism to prevent people from smoking. Does it work? I still buy my cigarettes though.

Last edited:
Tax on Tobacco is just a political mechanism to prevent people from smoking. Does it work? I still buy my cigarettes though.

No it isn't, its an incredible form of revenue for the government. I worked 4 years in the Tobacco industry, I can tell you that the government makes a windfall.

Back