Why a lot military vehicles are petrol?

I really don't understand the argument over recharging vehicles to me it is no different to refueling a car, you look at the fuel guage and refuel/recharge when necessary.
I currently have an Audi E-Tron and the only difference between that and the A8 I had previously is the time it takes to charge vs filling it with petrol but for the most part that happens while I am sitting at an office desk instead of a gas station and charging systems are improving all the time.

With regard to a military vehicle it would probably make sense to use modular fuel packs where spent fuel packs are simply replaced with full ones in the field.

EV's have lower range than a gas car and you don't get the sweet sound of the engine

EV's have lower range than a gas car and you don't get the sweet sound of the engine

The gap is closing with regards to range as batteries improve and chargers become more efficient and I would suggest that not having a lot of noise is a plus from a military sense.

I have 2 diesel powered vehicles: Dodge Ram 4x4 Crew Cab 3L Ecodiesel and an Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty that I turbocharged and intercooled. ATV gets over 200 miles from a 5 gallon tank/40+ mpg and more efficient, my "tuned and deleted Ram can get over 900 miles on a 26 gallon tank! A 6,000 lb truck that gets similar mpgs as my girlfriend's 1.8L Toyota on petrol/gasoline. Diesels are much more efficient today and a hybrid diesel would be even better. BTW, my diesel Ram's tailpipes are still shiny clean at 104,000 miles, my last Ram had the hemi and pipes were always black...

Back