Why Japan is spending a lot of money on armament?

jiehunzheng

I am just analyzing several facts and don't mean to be aggressive to evrey single person or country. So do not draw your conclusion before my words are read.

Japan is born to be invasive. Why?

Japan is an economically great county holding a handful land with almost no resources. Japan will not last long if it is confined in such a few small islands. Lacking of resources is the forever disease of Japan and will finally kill it.

In other words, Japan is just like a defective child living a hard life. Its neighbors are always ready and pleased to help it. But Japan have been thinking it is not enough which is the motive of hundreds of years of invasion to its neighbors. Japan just wanna be the owner of the world, and it have already had a try more than 60 years ago.

60 years ago, the righteous people had taught Japan a lesson. But it is now one of the greatest power of the world with the help of USA under the policy of restraining several "potential enemy". My English is poor, so in order to make me understood I have to put it this way: Japan is a hound of USA. But now Japan is a superpower capable of withstanding its old master. So Japan want to be independent from the mutual using of each other with USA.

Now USA is happily allowing Japan to sharpen its biting teeth and cumbering with USA's "potential enemies". But over time, does USA can maintain its capability of controlling this animal?

Beware, Japan actually never treat USA like a master but something useful. Another fact that we have to recognize is that Japan have buried its enmity for 60 years (fixed by USA in WW II and tasted the most tasty nuclear sun-side up for 2 times, what a enjoyment!!!), and can't help it now - that is the purpose of Japan's throwing big money on weapons!.

AussieNick said:
This will just end up as a war of words and abuse. Probably not the best topic (or approach to it) either.

I did not mean to hurt anynoe's feeling (including Japnese). And if I did, I apologize. I just can't find any other words to describe the situation.

Be very careful when discussing this issue.

From what I remembered, Donald Rumsfeld questioned and highly critisized China's Military Spending which might have exposed some of the US's intentions of dealing with China on several agendas such as the Currency Revaluation of the RMB, Strategic Issues in East Asia, and the Taiwan Crisis.

I certainly agree that Japan have been highly agressive with its neigbhors after PM Koizumi have entered service. Under his leadership, relations with Asian neighbors suffered greatly. For example, Just recently there was a high sea standoff between South Korea and Japan over a South Korean fishing boat and this is not the only event that caused friction between S. Korea and Japan. Japan have also declined China's Offer for a cooperative Oil Exploration project in a disputed region in the East China Sea where Japan claims it as a so-called "Economic Zone" for Japan.

60 years has past, I think we should commemorate our victory, this is not only to remember the people died from WW II, but also a reminder (the past has past, we should fix our eyes on future - this is the purpose of my posting) to all of the countries of the world not to follow the behavior of Japan, Germany and Italy in WW II.

By "invasive" I do not describe Japan as morally bad country.
Japan is lack of natural resources, so it has to find a way of living.

There only 2 ways for Japan to choose:
1. To maintain good relationships with all countries especially its neighbors in case of bad things to happen, such as the sinking of Japan islands described in a Japanese movie (in the movie, the survivors was took in by Japan's neighboring countries).
2. To invade into other countries.

But Japan has chosen the second option (Japan is invading 1 island of China and 1 island of Korea for the purpose of solving its problem of resources).

In the perspective of Japan, to choose to invade is a way of make a living, and this is why I said "I do not describe Japan as morally bad country".

In the perspective the invaded, Japan's behavior is evil.

Another fact we should pay attention to is why Germany apologized honestly for its improper behavior in WW II and being praised by the world while Japan did not?

The answer is: because invading is one of the option of make a living of Japan.

So if Japan apologize, it is equal to giving up one hope of surviving.

jiehunzheng said:
Another fact we should pay attention to is why Germany apologized honestly for its improper behavior in WW II and being praised by the world while Japan did not?

I certainly don't agree. The way for Japan to survive is by trading. That is the most logical and peaceful way of maintaining a large society.

Cabal said:
jiehunzheng said:

I certainly don't agree. The way for Japan to survive is by trading. That is the most logical and peaceful way of maintaining a large society.

Hi, friend.
I have to explain my argumentation further. Yes, I agree, Japan can use its products to exchange resources. But this is hard way of living for it. Resources come first, how come products if there is no resource.

And you can think of the situation of USA. USA has plenty of resources and excellent products, but why it put its finger into Middle East? - to own insufficient or no resources is a really bad feeling.

To exchange things you want is no good feeling than to own them - especially when you are a superpower - like USA and Japan.

to exchange is a stupid and slow idea (Japanese are always saying they are quick tempered) than to own when you are a superpower.

The People's Republic of China is the world's second largest Carbon Emission producer and has the second largest oil consumption rate right below the United States. By looking at China's current search for energy throughout the world, it is clear that China's own resources cannot sustain itself any longer.
By using your mentality, you think it is necessary for China to invade and occupy other nations to fuel its growing economy???

Cabal said:
The People's Republic of China is the world's second largest Carbon Emission producer and has the second largest oil consumption rate right below the United States. By looking at China's current search for energy throughout the world, it is clear that China's own resources cannot sustain itself any longer.
By using your mentality, you think it is necessary for China to invade and occupy other nations to fuel its growing economy???

"it is necessary for China to invade and occupy other nations to fuel its growing economy" - I neither agree nor deny.

I never think it is proper to describe a country as right or wrong - right or wrong is relative not absolute (and if really say a county is right or wrong - it is relative).

So we have arrived the core of the discussion - according to Darwinism, the stronger survives.

Cabal said:

If you really want to figure out if China is going to invade into other county, you just need to observe the behavior of China. China is gaining better relationships every single day with neighbors and countries all over the world.

The first option - maintain good relationships with all countries - is the way of China of solving problem of energy.

Yes I agree that Chinese Leaders are establishing stronger ties with other nations but unfortunately you are giving me mixed messages.

If you really want to figure out if China is going to invade into other county, you just need to observe the behavior of China. China is gaining better relationships every single day with neighbors and countries all over the world.

The first option - maintain good relationships with all countries - is the way of China of solving problem of energy.

I quite agree that China can solve its energy shortage problem diplomatically and peacefully as Beijing once stressed greatly on not long ago. But so can Japan if they were to re-establish good relations with its Pacific Neighbors as well. But unfortunately that is not what Japan doing right now.

Japan re-arming?

I'm going to take a single stab at addressing the question posed at the top of this thread:

Why is Japan spending a lot of money on armament?

1 - The imbecile Kim in North Korea holding his finger on a supposed "nuclear button" with Japan clearly in the cross-hairs.

2 - The expectation from the U.S. (at least unofficially) that after 50 years of "protection" in the Far East, Japan is expected to be able to handle her own defense.

3 - What exactly IS the current population of China, anyway?

Answer in summary: Japan is spending a lot of money on armament because Japan senses very real threats to her independence in the Far East. The same reason any other SANE country spends money on armaments.

Dear Member,

Two reasons: China's refusal to help do anything about North Korea's nuclear program and Chinas behavior towards Vietnam and the Philippines on sea territorial rights.

Also remember you are looking at Japan's budget and not what it is buy. It is like many look at the US weapons export and only look at the amount in dollars. That gives most the impression that the US is the largest arms exporter in the world. In money that is true but not in number of weapons. For example a lot of the cost of US weapons exports is tied up in a few very expensive weapons systems like the E-3 AWAC, Aegis, etc. Most of the arms exports in tanks, weapons for armies, etc are other nations because US weapons are to expensive. Japan's defense budget a huge share of it is not in building up a long range ability for its air force or increasing the size of its army, but in anti-ballistic missile defense and its navy. If Japan was ever to start building up its army and adding large numbers of long range strike aircraft (ie as China is now doing with the SU-27) China and others would have reason to worry. And the Chinese government in private is totally aware of this. But it is politically helpful to make the citizens of China think Japan is building up a huge offensive ability.

Finally, China has been -- ie for internal political reasons -- very shortsighted on not helping stop North Korea's nuclear program. Understand: If North Korea explodes a nuclear weapon it is only a few years before Japan goes nuclear. They have the ability to do that in a very short time. Just as Taiwan does also.

Jack E. Hammond

BTW> When is China going to pay the US for the design information on the J-10 strike fighter. Yes, I know the information came from Israelis canceled Lavi program, but the US funded 90% of that program. Fair is fair. javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy

jiehunzheng said:
Cabal said:

technicly Japan cannot go nuclear until around the year 2050. Also japan is one of the worlds most active nations in opposing Nuclear weapons, I think you know why or at least I hope you do.

Darcia said:
technicly Japan cannot go nuclear until around the year 2050. Also japan is one of the worlds most active nations in opposing Nuclear weapons, I think you know why or at least I hope you do.
Can you explain on that a little? What do you mean by technically? Due to treaties with i.e. the US? I would say given enough pressure from the outside, Japan could do it in a year.

The main constraint on how fast Japan can go nuclear is based on how long it will take them to get the Uranium refining facilities built and running. In other words, not long at all. If Japan saw the need they could go nuclear in two or three years.

As for why Japan is militarazing; well sorry to say it but Japan is neighbor to two of the most militant countries in the world. China and North Korea.

China is not a peaceful matriarch of the east. China has invaded India, Vietnam, almost got in a war with the USSR, brutally invaded and occupied Tibet, and proven its government fairly unstable. The first peaceful transfer of power in China since the Emperors only occured within the past couple of years.

In fact, Japan has been far less beligerent in the last half century then China and Japan's populace is far more pacifistic.

Japan has to rearm because when you're a country with no military, people treat you like a country with no military. Japan realizes that it cannot continue to rely entirely on the United States for protection with two very aggresive neighbors.

Lastly, Japan has apologized no fewer then a dozen times to China for conduct during the Second World War.

Edit: Added an 'er' to 'few'.

Back