Why Japan is spending a lot of money on armament? - Page 6

--
Boots

June 21st, 2005  
CABAL

Quote:
However Germany deployed troops to Kosovo where they had a combat role and indeed saw fighting. And according to Globalsecurity.org Germany also has troops deployed in Kenya, Djibouti, Kuwait, and Poland. And how many thousand German troops are in Afghanistan? I believe those would count as political deployments as well.
Yes, they are political deployments though not strategically important to Germany but they are there to support America's War against Terror.

Quote:
As you apparently don't want United States troops in Asia, are you proposing that the United States withdraw entirely? Because that would simply idiotic. The purpose of having troops in that area is, believe it or not, to preven nations from getting into a shooting war. Without United States support Taiwan would be gone in short order.
During the last line, you said it quite reasonably yourself.

Quote:
The purpose of having troops in that area is, believe it or not, to preven nations from getting into a shooting war.
This idea supports the idea of the United State's of becoming a World Order. Good or bad, this is how America expands its Military presence. Whether you don't like the word usage of it or not, but this is what as known as Military Expansion.

From what I see, America's and Japan's potential enemy in Asia is not China. Instead it is North Korea, where the anti-Americanism is rampant all across the country. Plus the country has already have nuclear weapons, testfire missiles across Japan into Japanese Waters, abducted Japanese Citizens, a large North Korean spy agency operates in Japan, sent numerous Spy Ships to Japanese Waters, involved in fire fights in high sea standoffs with Japan, sent disturbing communiques to Washington and Tokyo to continue on with the childish duel of name calling.

Quote:
No one wants to get into a shooting war with China. But sometimes the best way to prevent that is for the belligerent to know that any war would not end favorably for them. Dangling a defenseless and juicy treat infront of their nose is not how you create peace.
China's newly elected Leadership knows that the outcome of war will not favor them. The United States is not the only tool that intimidates them from launching an attack against Taiwan. Instead, they are more concerned with their Domestic issues instead of International Affairs since many problems and prospects exists in their own country. And if a war over Taiwan was to happen, China will loose its role as a leading Economic Powerhouse in Asia.

PS: Japan is not what people called a "Juicy treat". There is some ackward analogy in that.
June 22nd, 2005  
CSmaster

[quote="CABAL"][quote="PershingOfLSU"]

Vietnam's decision to side with the Soviet Union does not appear to persuade much of Mao Zhedong to declare war. Mao Zhedong's decisions were based on his concerns over Vietnam's actions against Cambodia, which was China's strategic ally.
quote]

my friend, great post
just one thing, Mao was dead long ago during Sino-Vietnam war.

it was Deng Xiaoping who made this decision
June 22nd, 2005  
CABAL

There were a series of Conflicts between Vietnam and China if I remembered. Mao was still alive when the two country's tensions risen towards rivalry. You were right, Mr. Deng XiaoPeng was the one who have declared the official order to attack.
--
Boots
June 22nd, 2005  
CSmaster

When Mao was alive, he supplied Vietnam with weapons and personels to fight americnas, that was called Kang Mei Yuan Yun (fight against Americans and help Vietnamese)

according to the book "Modernizating China's military", China sent as many as 300,000 soldiers to Vietnam, mostly anti-air and engineering troops, Chinese also made weapons for Vietnamese, like pistols, type-56 (ak-47 chinese version), other gears like radio (interesting thing is that during sino-Vietnam war, both side often recieve others' signals because they use the same made-in-china radios)
June 22nd, 2005  
CABAL

Yes, I am fully aware that China sent numerous aide to Vietnam during the Vietnam War. Besides, thanks for the little info.
July 4th, 2005  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by CABAL
[From what I see, America's and Japan's potential enemy in Asia is not China. Instead it is North Korea, where the anti-Americanism is rampant all across the country. Plus the country has already have nuclear weapons, testfire missiles across Japan into Japanese Waters, abducted Japanese Citizens, a large North Korean spy agency operates in Japan, sent numerous Spy Ships to Japanese Waters, involved in fire fights in high sea standoffs with Japan, sent disturbing communiques to Washington and Tokyo to continue on with the childish duel of name calling.
Yes and no.

China is the real rival to America, right now North Korea is little more than a nuisance. A country to weak to defeat a US invasion but powerful enough to cause the public to whine at the thought of war with North Korea. Their missiles can not reach America, American bases in South Korea and Japan yes, but not America. Their military personel are about the only people in North Korea who are not starving or freezing, fuel is in short supply, the only country truly threatened by North Korea is South Korea. From what I have seen North Korea would not be able to sustain a war with South Korea for more than three months. They might not run out of bullets but fuel they most definetly would. Supply lines would be impossible to maintain. The better armed, supplied, and if my memory serves me correctly numerically superior South Korean army might be pushed back and they could quite possibly lose Seoul but their supplies would out last those of the North.

China is still the greater threat. Their military is the largest in the world (in terms of number of troops) and they have an almost unlimited supply of reinforcements. As some members of this forum has pointed out the PLA will do whatever it takes to win (or at least kill as many of the enemy before being defeated) an invasion of China by anything short of a combined NATO-Russian force is almost sure to fail, maintaining order of China would be almost impossible. While the offensive capability of China may be almost non-existant if not by an overland route their defenses would be very formidable. China is still the greater threat in terms of ability to harm the US, Japan, or really any other nation.

North Korea however is a loose cannon. They are the metaphorical straw that could break the camel's back. They might not be able to fight a war but they could very well start one. So in one aspect, yes, Cabal is right in that North Korea is the greater threat for causing war, but in terms of fighting a war China is definetly the greater threat.