Why Japan is spending a lot of money on armament? - Page 3

--
Why Japan is spending a lot of money on armament?

June 13th, 2005  
MI Blues

Topic: jiehunzheng

Having examined a number of his (her?) posts, I would not be surprised if this individual is actually trying to be a mouthpiece for the very PRC government he claims to support. Wondering which government building in Beijing he works in.
June 13th, 2005  
Darcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcia
technicly Japan cannot go nuclear until around the year 2050. Also japan is one of the worlds most active nations in opposing Nuclear weapons, I think you know why or at least I hope you do.
Can you explain on that a little? What do you mean by technically? Due to treaties with i.e. the US? I would say given enough pressure from the outside, Japan could do it in a year.

1-Treaties With America
2-Surrender Treaties
3-Clause in thier Constitution says they will not seek nor produce nor maintain nuclear wepons.
June 13th, 2005  
Damien435

I would look at your own build up as the reason for Japan's increased spending. Oh wait, that's right, China is a peaceful nation which does not seek to harm or provoke their neighbors. That explains their ever increasing military budget and numbers.
--
June 13th, 2005  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
I would look at your own build up as the reason for Japan's increased spending. Oh wait, that's right, China is a peaceful nation which does not seek to harm or provoke their neighbors. That explains their ever increasing military budget and numbers.
Umm couldnt the same statement apply to the ever increasing US military budget?.

Quote:

Rank Country Military expenditures Date of Information
1 United States $ 370,700,000,000 March 2003
2 China $ 67,490,000,000 2004
3 Japan $ 45,841,000,000 2004
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/.../2067rank.html
June 13th, 2005  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Quote:
Umm couldnt the same statement apply to the ever increasing US military budget?.

Quote:

Yes, but I am not saying that my neighbor whom I have a violent history with lasting thousands of years should stop building up his defense forces while I continue to build mine.

Is it just me or is there one very important country missing from that list? First person to name it gets a cookie.
June 13th, 2005  
MontyB

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, but I am not saying that my neighbor whom I have a violent history with lasting thousands of years should stop building up his defense forces while I continue to build mine.
You sure about that?
I hear the american administration saying frequently that Iran, Syria etc. cant have WMD's and need to be raked over the coals for developing them yet I hear nothing of the US outrage at Israels nuclear program nor do I see the US getting rid of its nuclear program or reducing its military capacity.
June 13th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PershingOfLSU
Lastly, Japan has apologized no fewer then a dozen times to China for conduct during the Second World War.
when and where? it surely wasn't a government level appoligy...and there certianly wasn't one for the Aussies, or any of the asian countries who had people tortured etc.

THATS the appoligy i want to hear
June 13th, 2005  
PershingOfLSU

Actually there were apologies to the Asian countries Japan occupied in the Second World War. As well as apologies to prisoner's of war during the Second World War.

Here's a link to a list. It's very long: http://www.ikjeld.com/japannews/00000132.php
June 13th, 2005  
Darcia

That info is old American war spending has broke the 400 billion mark, in fact American Military spending is more than the Republican Axis of Evil,and PRC and Russia's Military spending combined. But thats OT.

Japan has had a few incidents when China(PRC) has invaded thier territorial waters and the Japense has had to chase them out. The Japanese claim China is wanting to build a new submarine to attack the Japanese Isles.

However when you look on the scale of thins Japan has gone many years without a large increase in military spending,and with the current changes going on in the pacific Rim Economic Community along with the ontinuel power gaining of an Imperialistic America it cannot be denied that most likley Japan will begin to build up a larger defense force just in case,say The Korean War starts back up, after all there is still a level of war between them.
June 13th, 2005  
Damien435

Quote:
You sure about that?
I hear the american administration saying frequently that Iran, Syria etc. cant have WMD's and need to be raked over the coals for developing them yet I hear nothing of the US outrage at Israels nuclear program nor do I see the US getting rid of its nuclear program or reducing its military capacity.
Quite positive.

Spending on conventional weapons and spending on nuclear programs is two different things.

Why would America have a problem with Israel possessing nuclear warheads? Israel has been on the defensive for 50+ years now, surrounded by hostile nations who have made little effort to hide their aggressive stance towards Israel. Syria and North Korea have both invaded their neighbors in the last half of the 20th century and do not have near as stable or level headed leaders as Israel does. North Korea has been threatening her neighbors for years, digging tunnels into South Korea and attacking US engineers who were merely trying to trim back a branch on a tree in the DMZ. Syria has been occupying Lebanon since the 80's and has invaded Israel multiple times. Not even China, possibly the only country in the world that has a less than hateful relationship with North Korea, wants Kim Jung Il to have nukes.