Why have all Arab-Israeli wars ended in victory for the latter?

Yes, the Soviet Union supported the some of the states hostile toward Israel, the Soviets abandon Egypt during and after the Yom Kippur war, of practical reasons, if the war escalated, the Soviet Union would have problems to support Egypt when the supplies and other essential transportations were forced to pass by two Nato countries (Bosporus). The Soviet and later the Russians have always supported Syria. The Syrians and the Egyptians fought well during the war, they were not so motivated as the Israelis.
And also before the war, the Soviets have been annoying basically. Nasser (the president before Sadat) was literally about to beg for weapons. He kept asking the Soviets for weapons many times but, it fell to deaf ears. Then Sadat came and he was like "I don't understand why you don't want to give us the weapons we asked for and that you promised us with. I'm a customer and I want to buy weapons from you, you agreed. Why do you keep delaying?" He said this to the Soviet Ambassador. The Soviets then did send weapons but, they didn't send all the weapons Egypt asked for. And that ended up with Egypt a little short in weaponry. And for that very same reason the objective goal went from "Gain back the Sinai through military force." to "work for the
liberation of the occupied territories in successive phases, depending on the degree of success achieved." When it comes to the motivation, I do find that the Egyptians were maybe just as equal or maybe more motivated than the Israelis in the beginning. Between 1967 and 1973 that's 6 years so, it's basically the same generation. The generation that fought in 1973 was the same generation that got humiliated in 1967, that's for the soldiers. For Sadat, just crossing the canal was victory. Because that destroyed the myth of the invincible soldier and it upset the status quo and the "no peace no war" situation. He believed that this alone would bring the Israelis to the table and both parties (Egypt and Israel) will be equals so, they will truly reach an agreement.

And also before the war, the Soviets have been annoying basically. Nasser (the president before Sadat) was literally about to beg for weapons. He kept asking the Soviets for weapons many times but, it fell to deaf ears. Then Sadat came and he was like "I don't understand why you don't want to give us the weapons we asked for and that you promised us with. I'm a customer and I want to buy weapons from you, you agreed. Why do you keep delaying?" He said this to the Soviet Ambassador. The Soviets then did send weapons but, they didn't send all the weapons Egypt asked for. And that ended up with Egypt a little short in weaponry. And for that very same reason the objective goal went from "Gain back the Sinai through military force." to "work for the
liberation of the occupied territories in successive phases, depending on the degree of success achieved." When it comes to the motivation, I do find that the Egyptians were maybe just as equal or maybe more motivated than the Israelis in the beginning. Between 1967 and 1973 that's 6 years so, it's basically the same generation. The generation that fought in 1973 was the same generation that got humiliated in 1967, that's for the soldiers. For Sadat, just crossing the canal was victory. Because that destroyed the myth of the invincible soldier and it upset the status quo and the "no peace no war" situation. He believed that this alone would bring the Israelis to the table and both parties (Egypt and Israel) will be equals so, they will truly reach an agreement.

The Soviets put up limitations for the use of the weapons the Egyptians purchased from the USSR, especially fighter planes and fighter bombers. The Soviet Union demanded to have the control over them even if the pilots were Egyptians. Egypt refused that so....no planes were delivered

The Soviets put up limitations for the use of the weapons the Egyptians purchased from the USSR, especially fighter planes and fighter bombers. The Soviet Union demanded to have the control over them even if the pilots were Egyptians. Egypt refused that so....no planes were delivered
I do re-call that Sadat did this because he didn't want the Soviets fighting the war for him or something that's why he kicked all their advisers out. Egypt also tried buying even more SAMs and tanks before the war but it was something they said that sounded like that they can't give that many weapons or something. I can't re-call too much of what happened on the political stage.

Last edited:
Back