And this is why I hate welfare....

To MCMartel: Couple of quick facts here. First, the greatest President of the 20th century was Ronald by-God Reagan. Second, in the real Constitution--not the liberal version--there is no God-given right to be free from want. Third, let's recall one of FDRs best quotes, "Some of my best friends are communists." That about sums it up.

1. No, Ronald Reagan was actually a terrible president, see I can make unsupported assertions just like you!
2. I never said there was a constitutional right to it, I do, however, believe there is a natural right to it. Perhaps if you were a little less obsessed with conspiratorial notions of liberals subverting the constitution, maybe you could read my post and see I never mentioned the constitution there.
3. You're right, a quote that makes a fair bit of sense in the time period it came out negates the fact that he created some of the greatest programs in all the countries history, helped stop the great depression, beat the Imperial Japanese and helped beat the Nazis, none of that matters cause of your quote...riiiiight.

Social Security and "Safety net expeditures" (Welfare) are budgeted seperatley.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=1258

Incorect, there is a specific federal program the "Temporary Assistance for Needy Families" that is specifically what is referred to when "welfare" is invoked. A link to explain what it is http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ofa/tanf/about.html
(it superseded the previous one Aid to Families with Dependent Children act in the 90's)

Secondly, even if I were to combined the hundreds of federal subsidies you mentioned and call it all "welfare" like you did, it still represents a small percentage of the federal budget, your graph showing 14%.

1. No, Ronald Reagan was actually a terrible president, see I can make unsupported assertions just like you!
2. I never said there was a constitutional right to it, I do, however, believe there is a natural right to it. Perhaps if you were a little less obsessed with conspiratorial notions of liberals subverting the constitution, maybe you could read my post and see I never mentioned the constitution there.
3. You're right, a quote that makes a fair bit of sense in the time period it came out negates the fact that he created some of the greatest programs in all the countries history, helped stop the great depression, beat the Imperial Japanese and helped beat the Nazis, none of that matters cause of your quote...riiiiight.
@ least some now believe the "New Deal" lenthened the Great depression" & was ineffective in ending it, only the production of war goods in WWII really ended it. Like Japan's 10 or 11 stimulus programs during the decade or so long recession in Japan in the 90s was ineffective there.

Incorect, there is a specific federal program the "Temporary Assistance for Needy Families" that is specifically what is referred to when "welfare" is invoked. A link to explain what it is http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ofa/tanf/about.html
(it superseded the previous one Aid to Families with Dependent Children act in the 90's)

Secondly, even if I were to combined the hundreds of federal subsidies you mentioned and call it all "welfare" like you did, it still represents a small percentage of the federal budget, your graph showing 14%.

Yeah Ok High Speed, you're right and the whole Federal Gov is wrong.

Yeah Ok High Speed, you're right and the whole Federal Gov is wrong.
Whoa, whoa, whoa,.... just think for a minute, it wouldn't be the first time,... Governments in most countries make stupendous cockups on a really regular basis.

Some of them deliberate, and others not so.:wink:

If you guys don't like welfare, then don't apply for any. No matter how tough times get for you.

What I want to see is how much you figure you are paying into the welfare system. I bet it's really not much. And what if you didn't pay into it? Would you save that money for your own potential hardships? How much would it be anyhow? I figure that off my approx. $18,000 USD/year income it breaks down to around 17% income tax federal and 12-1/2% state. That's 29-1/2%. $3,000 federal and $2,250 state. IIRC the state welfare here is around 1-1/3% of the state tax. That comes to around $30 a year I pay into welfare. $30.

I suppose if you make more, it ends up being more. I am trying to figure that you save enough by not paying into welfare, what is it you can do with that money you save that makes it better spent elsewhere.

I will contact the dept. of revenue in the AM and double check my numbers. $30, guys. That's pretty damn pitiful that you guys are having a hissy fit over that.

Back