And this is why I hate welfare....

Just because life sucker punched Sevens he has a right to dip into my earnings? All govt spending is tax payer money.

HEY CHUKPIKE (I know your lurking around here)

You remember you wrote this:

"Being conservative or a capitalist does not preclude people from helping, taking care of your family before others, does not keep someone from helping others".

Apparently some (in fact many, George isn't alone in this selfish view) of your "compassionate conservative" colleugues dont seem to agree with the above statement. :-D

And George, if life throws you or someone very close to you a nasty curveball whether you will still hold true to that statement. Since you don't want to help anybody but yourself, I fully expect you to be consistent in your statement. That means you not to accept ANY type of federal help. This will include social aid (SS, welfare, medicare/medicaid) programs, any federal backed loans, any subsides, any unemployment benefits, basically anything with 1 cent of federal taxpayer money, because as you yourself stated "I don't want you dipping into my earnings".

and SEVENS is a lady.

Last edited:
HEY CHUKPIKE (I know your lurking around here)

You remember you wrote this:

"Being conservative or a capitalist does not preclude people from helping, taking care of your family before others, does not keep someone from helping others".

Apparently some (in fact many, George isn't alone in this selfish view) of your "compassionate conservative" colleugues dont seem to agree with the above statement. :-D

And George, if life throws you or someone very close to you a nasty curveball whether you will still hold true to that statement. Since you don't want to help anybody but yourself, I fully expect you to be consistent in your statement. That means you not to accept ANY type of federal help. This will include social aid (SS, welfare, medicare/medicaid) programs, any federal backed loans, any subsides, any unemployment benefits, basically anything with 1 cent of federal taxpayer money, because as you yourself stated "I don't want you dipping into my earnings".

and SEVENS is a lady.
Except for minor points like that I've payed into the Ponzi scheme known as SS, ect. Kennedy, Kerry & other rich Liberals are plenty generous with Other People's Money & I don't see then giving away all thier money. Kerry just got cought registering his yacht out of State to avoid paying Mass. State taxes on it. The tar brush works both ways And a lot of people seem to think Fed. money just appears out of nowhere. Haven't checked many profiles.

Except for minor points like that I've payed into the Ponzi scheme known as SS, ect. Kennedy, Kerry & other rich Liberals are plenty generous with Other People's Money & I don't see then giving away all thier money. Kerry just got cought registering his yacht out of State to avoid paying Mass. State taxes on it. The tar brush works both ways And a lot of people seem to think Fed. money just appears out of nowhere. Haven't checked many profiles.
You've payed into Social Security because you are FORCED to pay into Social Security. You cannot site that as an example of your "generosity." That is merely avoiding the IRS. Good job, George, you follow the law.

As far as Kennedy goes, we can't really wait on him to give away all his money, can we? But you're right. There are selfish people in every demographic, political ideology, gender, etc.

But I have posted articles before that scientifically PROVE that liberals are genetically more caring than conservatives.

It amazes me how people like you and Chukpike are able to simply IGNORE the scientific facts when they are thrown into your faces, just because they disagree with what you think/believe.

The poor use their hearts and the wealthy their wallet. Unfortunatly when a poor chap becomes rich (somehow) he forgets his former lessons in life.

It amazes me how people like you and Chukpike are able to simply IGNORE the scientific facts when they are thrown into your faces, just because they disagree with what you think/believe. -Henderson

Its a very common sentiment of those with extreme views. If the truth no matter how clear it is contradicts someones radical political viewpoint its either the truth that is wrong or its messenger.

What's the difference between welfare and poverty? Welfare is political, poverty is human. Don't hear much about poverty in the United States. I am native to east Tennessee. Believe me, in the mountains, there is no welfare, just poverty. Well, by most standards. People do the best they can, or should.

Poverty in Appalachia

A 1930s-era TVA photograph showing a young girl in front of her family's house in the lower Clinch River valley in East Tennessee

Poverty had plagued Appalachia for many years but was not brought to the attention of the rest of the United States until 1960, by US President John F. Kennedy, who proceeded to establish the President's Appalachian Regional Commission in 1963. His successor, President Lyndon B. Johnson, crystallized Kennedy's efforts in the form of the Appalachian Regional Commission, which passed into law in 1965.[71]
In Appalachia, severe poverty and desolation were paired with the necessity for careful cultural sensitivity. Many Appalachian people feared that the birth of a new modernized Appalachia would lead to a death of their traditional values and heritage. Because of the isolation of the region, Appalachian people had been unable to catch up to the modernization that lowlanders have achieved. In the 1960s, many people in Appalachia had a standard of living comparable to third world countries'. The film series "West Virginia", produced during the term of Governor Gaston Caperton, makes the point that at least on some level images of poverty were contrived.[citation needed] Lyndon B. Johnson declared a "War on Poverty" while standing on the front porch of an Inez, Kentucky home whose residents had been suffering from a long ignored problem.[72] The Appalachian Regional Development Act of 1965 stated:
“ The Appalachian region of the United States, while abundant in natural resources and rich in potential, lags behind the rest of the Nation... its people have not shared properly in the Nation’s prosperity.[73] ” Since the creation of the Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) in 1965, the region has seen dramatic progress. New roads, schools, health care facilities, water and sewer systems, and other improvements have brought a better life to many Appalachian residents. In the 1960s, 219 counties in the 13-state Appalachian Region were considered economically distressed. Now that list has been cut in half, to 82 counties, but these are "hard-core" pockets of poverty, seemingly impervious to all efforts at improving their lot.[74] Martin County, Kentucky, the site of Johnson’s 1964 speech, is one such county still ranked as "distressed" by the ARC. As of 2000, the per capita income in Martin County was $10,650, and 37% of its residents lived below the poverty line.
Like Johnson, President Bill Clinton brought attention to the remaining areas of poverty in Appalachia. On July 5, 1999, he made a public statement concerning the situation in Tyner, Kentucky. Clinton told the enthusiastic crowd:
“ I'm here to make a simple point. This is the time to bring more jobs and investment to parts of the country that have not participated in this time of prosperity. Any work that can be done by anybody in America can be done in Appalachia.[74] ” The region's poverty has been documented often since the early 1960s. John Cohen documents rural lifestyle and culture in The High Lonesome Sound, while photojournalist Earl Dotter has been visiting and documenting poverty, healthcare and mining in Appalachia for nearly forty years.[75] Another photojournalist, Shelby Lee Adams, has been photographing Appalachian families and lifestyle for decades.

Every summer, traveling through the mountains photographing, I am somehow able to renew and relive my childhood. I regain my southern, mountain accent and approach my people with openness, fascination, and respect; and they treat me with respect. My psychic antennae become sharpened and acute. I love these people, perhaps that is it, plain and simple. I respond to the sensual beauty of a hardened face with many scars, the deeply etched lines and flickers of sweat containing bright spots of sunlight. The eyes of my subjects reveal a kindness and curiosity, and their acceptance of me is gratifying. For me, this is rejuvenation of the spirit of time past, and I am better for the experience each time it happens. These portraits are, in a way, self-portraits that represent a long autobiographical exploration of creativity, imagination, vision, repulsion and salvation. My greatest fear as a photographer is to look into the eyes of my subject and not see my own reflection. My work has been an artist search for a deeper understanding of my heritage and myself, using photography as a medium and the Appalachian people as collaborators with their own desires to communicate. I hope, too, that viewers, will see in these photographs something of the abiding strength and resourcefulness and dignity of the mountain people.

—Shelby Lee Adams

Aren't we jumping rather quickly to conclusions?

Maybe she had a job and lost it (lots of that going on these days) perhaps it was a gift, or a donation? Maybe the photo wasn't taken in her house and thus things aren't hers. First senetnce suggested it was in a church, and yes some churches have big screen TVs and Xbox's for the kiddies.

I lost my job two years ago, I collected benefits for 4 months until I found another job. That doesn't make me a parasite because I got a little government help. And I while I did have to tighten my belt, nobody forced me to sell all my stuff either.

THERE IS 10% UNEMPLOYMENT, TELLING PEOPLE TO GET A JOB IS LIKE TELLING THE ISREALIS AND PALESTINEANS TO STOP KILLING EACH OTHER, ITS EASIER SAID THAN DONE. ITS NO FUN BEING UNEMPLOYED, TAKE IT FROM PERSONAL EXPERIANCE

I had paid into the unemployment system for years (and still do) only fair for me to take a little out when I needed it.

Yes there are a few people who cheat the system, but they are the vast minority. Especially in this economic clusterf**k most people are just on their ass I'm sorry to say. Don't believe me? Feel free to quit your job and see how hard it is to get another one.
I see no reason to be an ass*ole and give them an additional kick when they are down.

Since I have been busted out myself, I can't condemn others in similar situations especially based on very little facts provided.

Its soon Christmas, even Scrooge had a heart in the end.

Years ago,I was broke,out of work and getting food stamps. I did have a big 25 " Mitsubishi console that probably cost a pretty penny new...I'd gotten it used for $30 bucks a few years earlier. At the time,however, it didn't work. Eventually I figured out that it was an easy fix but by then I'd had a job awhile.

Now, years later I'm working off and on,had to move back to my home state to "get by". In several months I'll be getting some inheritance,and I'm getting near retirement but right now I don't have a lot,and if I had less I'd be sitting in an empty room with nothin' to do but get pissedoff. Pissed off people with nothing to lose...can be a hazard. The concept of welfare is as much to protect those who HAVE as to do a favor for those who don't have.

I'm already planning to sell my TV, PS3, Xbox, most of my CDs and movies, and a few other odds and ends. I have bills to pay that can't wait for unemployment to decide its okay to give me something, or for me to find a job. Especially I actually have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than to find a job in this state, and things fell apart AGAIN with moving out of this state. Things look pretty dismal for good old Sevens right now. But thanks for the kind words, mmarsh and Ted. I appreciate them.

I recently had to move from a community I'd been in for 40 years, and I had to get rid of things I hated to get rid of because only so much would fit in the rental truck and when I got where I was headed,I'd only have so much room for my stuff. I kind of knew that day would come but it was hard.

Good luck to you.

1. The percentage of federal tax dollars spent on "welfare" is miniscule, get over it.
2. The amount of fraud in the welfare system, also very small.
3. I'm sorry, but if we can not take care of our nation's poor, most, if not almost all, are poor because of circumstances well out of their control, then we cannot call ourselves a moral and free nation. The greatest president of the 20th century, Franklin Delano Roosevelt hit the nail on the head when he pronounced "freedom from want" as one of freedoms every american must be garunteed. One cannot truly be free if one is freezing and/or starving

1. The percentage of federal tax dollars spent on "welfare" is miniscule, get over it.
2. The amount of fraud in the welfare system, also very small.
3. I'm sorry, but if we can not take care of our nation's poor, most, if not almost all, are poor because of circumstances well out of their control, then we cannot call ourselves a moral and free nation. The greatest president of the 20th century, Franklin Delano Roosevelt hit the nail on the head when he pronounced "freedom from want" as one of freedoms every american must be garunteed. One cannot truly be free if one is freezing and/or starving
Nonsence, Welfare & Entitlements are bankrupting us. The Govt can't guarantee sucsess for everybody.

Agree with George here. Too many times I have seen illegals working their butts off and Americans sit around and collect welfare. The lazy folks collect it because they won't get paid what they "think" they deserve. I am tired of footing the bill for people who do not contribute.
I have lost many jobs in my life. Know what I did about it? I got a better job.

Agree with George here. Too many times I have seen illegals working their butts off and Americans sit around and collect welfare. The lazy folks collect it because they won't get paid what they "think" they deserve. I am tired of footing the bill for people who do not contribute.
I have lost many jobs in my life. Know what I did about it? I got a better job.
I am really taken aback by the bigotry I am seeing here. Somehow the "illegals" are better people? Better workers? And Americans are somehow less than the "illegals"? Lower than them? What are your standards here?

I know people that are on welfare, and they'd rather work. No matter if they are "illegals" or not. Yeah, I said it right- "illegals" ARE on the welfare system here. I worked with one a couple years ago that bragged about how she was working and still getting AFDC, so much in fact that she was sending money to her family in Mexico. Does that make ALL "illegals" evil? No. Does it make them all "welfare frauds"? Nope.

So when you say "Too many times I have seen illegals working their butts off and Americans sit around and collect welfare. The lazy folks collect it because they won't get paid what they "think" they deserve." I call you on it and I dare you to prove your statement. Fact is that I know you can't. And you know it, too.

When you have the opportunity, watch this- http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/10/28/60minutes/main6999868.shtml and then try repeating such a statement.

Unlike you I know good people and bad, they can be illegal aliens or born here in the US. Nationality and citizenship status makes no one any better than another.

I have known people that are welfare frauds. And last I knew all it takes is intent and follow through in order to do it. Not nationality or race.

I am really taken aback by the bigotry I am seeing here. Somehow the "illegals" are better people? Better workers? And Americans are somehow less than the "illegals"? Lower than them? What are your standards here?

I know people that are on welfare, and they'd rather work. No matter if they are "illegals" or not. Yeah, I said it right- "illegals" ARE on the welfare system here. I worked with one a couple years ago that bragged about how she was working and still getting AFDC, so much in fact that she was sending money to her family in Mexico. Does that make ALL "illegals" evil? No. Does it make them all "welfare frauds"? Nope.

So when you say "Too many times I have seen illegals working their butts off and Americans sit around and collect welfare. The lazy folks collect it because they won't get paid what they "think" they deserve." I call you on it and I dare you to prove your statement. Fact is that I know you can't. And you know it, too.

When you have the opportunity, watch this- http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/10/28/60minutes/main6999868.shtml and then try repeating such a statement.

Unlike you I know good people and bad, they can be illegal aliens or born here in the US. Nationality and citizenship status makes no one any better than another.

I have known people that are welfare frauds. And last I knew all it takes is intent and follow through in order to do it. Not nationality or race.
But the bottom line is...Illegals shouldn't be here & should be deported. I have relatives who are unemployed in the construction field, @ least partialy because companys can illegally hire Illegals for 1/2 price(not to mention cost of education & crime). Niether Party is serious about it because they think that if they enforce the Law then hispanic citizens will be voting as a block, like blacks do, in favor of the Party that allows unrestrained immigration. Actually I don't care if the Illegals are from Mexico, China, or Croatia, they need to go.

1. You're wrong George, welfare, as it stands today, is a very very small part of our budget, most of the money going to entitlements is social security, which isn't class based, the giving of money or services to poor people makes up only a small portion of entitlements. I'd suggest doing some research. I can send you some links to get you started if you're interested
2. Can we get back on topic instead of turning this into a discussion about illegal immigration, which is a completely separate issue for the most part.

1. You're wrong George, welfare, as it stands today, is a very very small part of our budget, most of the money going to entitlements is social security, which isn't class based, the giving of money or services to poor people makes up only a small portion of entitlements. I'd suggest doing some research. I can send you some links to get you started if you're interested
2. Can we get back on topic instead of turning this into a discussion about illegal immigration, which is a completely separate issue for the most part.

Social Security and "Safety net expeditures" (Welfare) are budgeted seperatley.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=1258

I really dislike how this can effect other more important areas in society like education, My state is cutting it's main way for students to attend school via it's Hope Program, and the Pale Grant is being drasticlly reduced if not hitting the bansaw as well.

I am not saying that welfare is bad or is not nessary, it's just that so many abuse it, and the next generation, the childeren today, will have a harder,much harder climb tommorow to become educated and hopfully good citizens and enter our nation's already troubled workforce.

I hate how at my age, I already paid my taxes early this year, I follow all the rules of society, even the simple things like speed limits, and I even voted for congressional and community elections this year. Do what I can to be a good citizen, for the short two week span between jobs, did not even think about filing, regardless if I could or not for any sort of public finacial support, I won't do that, I'll go without first.

Because I know people who have been laying out for months on unemployment and when I ask them, how many applications have you put in? They either stutter looking for a justifcation or answer a small number I can count on one hand. Yea it maybe though thier former employer, but it hurts the profit of that company and over all the economy as a whole.

There is not excuse for that, I dropped 14 in one day,and those people are more than able to work, just do not want to.

Today unemployment seems to be a unearned retirement as long as the checks keep coming for some people.

You are right on the money with my sentiments in your opening post Mr. 5.56x45mm.

But because of people like that, you and I and many others will not pay the biggest price, our childeren and young family members will.

It's getting harder and harder for young people to achieve success against what thier parents had stacked against them as this century goes on and rapidly aproaching post peak oil, a wouldbe crisis all on it's own, but, who knows, maybe our next generation of Americans will surprise us, I hope they do, and when I am all old and dieing that they put us to shame on how to run a country.

Last edited:
Thanks Obama

Hasn't he done a great job of reviving the economy? Thank God he gave the banks and investment houses a trillion tax dollars to keep them in weekend houses and lobster dinners. As for the rest of us we're just twisting in the wind. Just goes to show you that whether you are a Dempublican or a Repocrat the first priority is to bail out the rich!

Oh and let me tell you something about welfare. I work in the healthcare business at a clinic for the "underserved." That's a joke. In my state we have a publicly funded system that not only pays for the "poor"--most of who show up dripping with bling and sporting four inch fake nails with rhinestones, iphones, etc.--they even get free cab rides to and from the clinic. They don't pay a dime for their care or their prescriptions. Many of them are regulars because they can--and do--come to the clinic for ANYTHING. Bruises, bloody noses, colds, coughs, random aches and pains. Hell, its free, so why not come over and get checked out? They regularly come for things that we in the middle class just suck up and deal with. The kicker is that illegal aliens are covered too. It's just grand.

Last edited:
To MCMartel: Couple of quick facts here. First, the greatest President of the 20th century was Ronald by-God Reagan. Second, in the real Constitution--not the liberal version--there is no God-given right to be free from want. Third, let's recall one of FDRs best quotes, "Some of my best friends are communists." That about sums it up.

Back