Why does this site reboot my computer?

MontyB

All-Blacks Supporter
I can visit and post at any site anywhere and at any time, I can even spend any length of time reading posts on these forums but as soon as I try to post (for the first time that day) I get about 1 line into the reply the computer reboots and then returns to the same spot in the post it shut down at (so I don't lose any data).

Its kind of bizarre.

Well I first thought that it may have been a virus but I have run virus checkers and even tried different virus checkers and found nothing.

I have also run about 3 different spy/mal-ware checkers and found nothing.

What ever it is the problem is unique to my computer and this site and thats about as far as I can get in the trouble shooting stakes.

That is decidedly "odd". I have no idea what could be causing the problem, or even how enacting non malicious code on a site could even have any effect. I would certainly think that it is something that is run on your PC in these circumstances that is doing the re booting.

When did it start?
Have you recently loaded any other programs.

Personally I'd do the Spike shuffle and run all of the clean up and a couple diagnostic programs.

My disk management is atrocious, so when anything untoward happens I hit it with a bloody big stick. I run Chkdsk, defrag, Update my antivirus and run it followed by Reg Cure, Spybot S&D, Adaware and if necessary PC Doctor (Deep scan) It's a decision born of panic, but for some odd reason, it's never failed me,.... YET!!

I have a saying and as far as I know it is a Spike original. My apologies if someone has beaten me to it.

"When all else fails,
Brute force prevails":smile:

That's certainly very strange, and no one else has ever reported any problems like this before
(and I can assure you that this site is 100% malware/spyware free as well.. :smil: )

Do you use quick reply, or "full" reply when this happens??
And does it happen when you write or when you click the "post reply" button??

I'd recommend you go to IE's "Tools/Internet Options" and delete your cookies, etc.

That means that you will have to check in to create new cookies on sites where you use the auto-login function.

Sometimes these cookies get scrambled and create unusual faults, etc.

That is the ONLY thing that I can think of that doesn't involve viruses or major problems with your computer's programs.

That's certainly very strange, and no one else has ever reported any problems like this before
(and I can assure you that this site is 100% malware/spyware free as well.. :smil: )
Yep I am not claiming it is a site fault at all and I also run spy/mal-ware software routinely and find nothing I just find it odd that it only happens here and only when replying for the first time each day never afterwards.

Do you use quick reply, or "full" reply when this happens??
And does it happen when you write or when you click the "post reply" button??

It happens with both quick and full replies and it happens usually while typing the reply and before I push the "post reply" button.

It never happens again throughout the day (even if I shut down the site and internet connection and come back), it only happens with my first post.

I will try Chief's idea of deleting cookies as thats a possibility I hadn't thought of but after that I am out of idea's.

Incidentally I use Firefox (fully updated) if that has any bearing.

It happens with both quick and full replies and it happens usually while typing the reply and before I push the "post reply" button.
There should be no active AJAX scripts when you type, and no communication with the server/site before you click the "post reply" button so it must be something at your end then...

I've tried to search for similar problems, but I can't find anything at all... :?

you have computer AIDS

/expert opinion

Actually I think I have Bit Defenderitis...

I had my virus checker set to update every 30 minutes or some such nonsense (it was a new install and I hading configured it), I noticed while I was typing another board that when it kicked in to do its update it would minimise the browser.

Anyway to cut a long story short I have set the software to update once a day during the early hours and I havent had the problem since.
Not sure why it rebooted but as long as the problem is gone I am happy.

Actually I think I have Bit Defenderitis...

I had my virus checker set to update every 30 minutes or some such nonsense (it was a new install and I hading configured it), I noticed while I was typing another board that when it kicked in to do its update it would minimise the browser.

Anyway to cut a long story short I have set the software to update once a day during the early hours and I havent had the problem since.
Not sure why it rebooted but as long as the problem is gone I am happy.

Some virus updaters automatically reboot the computer to complete an update. Perhaps that was the case with your virus program.

Some virus updaters automatically reboot the computer to complete an update. Perhaps that was the case with your virus program.

Its a posibility although it only ever happened when posting here, I could be online all day and it wouldn't reboot until I tried posting.

Even while posting elsewhere it only ever minimised the browser.

I am not overly worried about it but there does seem to be an odd interaction between my comp and this site.

Back