Why did you join?

eTe

Personally, there's a bunch of reasons.
I'm pursuing this path because civilian life seems boring.
I want the challenge. To learn my physical and mental limits, and then surpass it.
I want the achievement, I want to be part of something worthy of so much respect.
Lastly, I want to see the other side of the coin. I want to know what goes on in the places you only see on tv, because what you see on tv can be as real as a celebrities 'assets'.

Reason I bring this up is because I hear your answer given when a recruiter asks "Why?" is a big one.

Who joined....I was Shanghaied.....I received a nice Little letter from the Queen inviting me to see the world in one of her organisations, and she would have the pleasure of paying me just half the amount of a regular soldier.

I was going through that teenage rebellious period.

I wouldn't apply myself to my school work, and although leaving school at 14 years of age was almost the norm back then, my parents did manage to get it through my thick skull that there was no real future doing the things I was qualified for in my home town.

I had a cousin in the Navy who used to visit and tell us of the things he used to do, so I suggested that I be allowed to join the Navy, and was fortunate that at that time we had a Junior Recruit Scheme, whereby you could join up at 15 years of age. I applied to join and after the usual tests was accepted.

Little did I know that I had just signed up for, 12 months of what would probably be, the most closely scrutinised and disciplined High School in Australia. Although most of us were only of year 10 standard most of us passed at least several subjects to Year 12 standard after the year. There were no "airy fairy" subjects, it was all English, Maths I & II, Physics, Chemistry plus Naval subjects, History, Seamanship, Navigation and PT,... lots and lots and lots, of PT and of course,... Rifle drill. (sometimes these were combined) A process called "shake ups", designed to focus ones thoughts and bring about enlightenment.:D Today it would be called "physical abuse or assault".

The Junior Recruit Scheme was shut down in the 1980s as it contravened the "Child Soldier" laws. Never the less, it certainly fulfilled a real need, straightening out the more rebellious spirits among us.

Last edited:
Like LeEnfield I didn't "join" - I was drafted in 1966, actually into the USMC. I later "enlisted" - after attending one of Jane Fonda’s Anti War events in San Diego. She, Donald Sutherland, “Country Joe” Fish and the rest were nothing more than incoherent, drugged out fools. Peter Boyle was also there but I don’t remember him speaking, he spent his time pushing kids on a swing.

I was working for a large Bank and was bored to tears so I enlisted in the Army.

"Ask any man of this century (20th) what he has done to make his life worthwhile - the best will say I’ve served (in the military)." JFK

Last edited:
I joined my state's defense force for a couple of reasons. I felt that I could better myself professionally with the skills learned and perfected in the defense force. I also felt that I am now a citizen of this country and I should give back in some way, and what better way than to serve my home state whenever it is needed.

I wanted to join the RAF at 15 straight from school as an apprentice aero engine mech, my dad tore up the papers more or less saying “You'll never do.”

I waited till I was almost 17 ½ when I didn't need his permission, and what swung it for me, my best friend had died a few months earlier, my grandfather.

I went to the recruitment centre in London and enquired about joining, an elderly Flight Sergeant about 50 (well old to a 17 year old) took me aside and asked me why did I want to join, I gave him chapter and verse. He sat and thought for a moment and said that if I was joining to get back at my dad, I was making a big mistake. To cut a long story short he realised that I really wanted to join and started the process, medical check, police back ground check and the rest. They even wanted my family tree going back as far as my grandfather, including their military service if any.

I went home 2 weeks and 4 days before I was 17 ½ with the paperwork for my dad to sign, and told him if he didn't I only had to wait another couple of weeks when I didn't need his permission. He signed the papers saying that I wont last two weeks in training, and don't expect him to buy me out.

On 22nd August 1966 a number of us new recruits gathered at Victory House in Kingsway, London to catch the train to the recruit training school. There to see me off was the Flight Sergeant who handled my enlistment, he shook my hand and said, “I envy you son, you have a fantastic adventure in front of you.”

After recruit training and trade training I had among the best years of my life in the RAF. My only regret is taking my discharge, I wish I had stayed in for the full 22 years.

I was 17 ... had lost interest in school (even though I was drawing As and Bs) and didn't want to hang out on street corners like some of my friends were doing.

I knew that the draft would in all likliehood snap me up sooner or later so I chose to enter the Army (with my parents signing for me).

Looking back .. I guess I had my share of patriotism and wanted to do my duty.

I enlisted Airborne Infantry in 1966 for all the original reasons posted.
My dad was 506th in WW2 and died young.
I grew up around vets and many of my college mates were vets.
I finished college after I got out.
Never regretted a second of it.
Many draftees will say that as well.

Go get 'em!

I joined 18 July 1986. I was working at a Prison (Central Correctional Institution) Everyone, including staff and inmates all thought that I was ex-Military. I was also , playing in a band at the time to make extra money and the gigs were slowly becoming nill. I signed up for the S.C. National Guard, in Camden S.C. Got my paperwork, exam by the Doc.'s and was shipped, by plane to Fort Knox, Kentucky. I was older than my Drill Sergeants, and the rest of the enlistees. I celebrated my 31st Birthday in Basic. I got used to being called; OLD-MAN, Gran' PA,' and others. I joined for the Army for the pay, the chance to see places I'd probably never see again in my life. I went to Fort Jackson for my AIT (Advanced Initial Training) to be a Mechanic (Light Wheel). I was informed if you're gonna fix it, you may as well drive it. I got the chance to go to Korea twice, Japan, NTC (National Training Center) and got called up for Iraqi Freedom. It was hard, NTC didn't compare to the Middle East. The 114th Signal Company, was in Country '03-'04. We Made it back in one piece. I, served with the best people in the world. Made quite a few friends over the 22 years I served. The Military is one big family, you may not remember names but you remember faces. I'm not saying its easy, because it takes fortitude to make it in the Military. I retired as a E-5/Sergeant. With an Honorary promoyion to E-6/Staff Sergeant. It was the best years of my life.

I joined because for as long as I can remember I had wanted to be a soldier. I figured it was the right thing to do. That was over 10 years ago. Over the years I have learned what being a soldier is really about, and as I have learned about all of that I feel that tug in my gut all the time that more needs to be done. When I'm in the states all is well for about a month, then I again feel that tug to get to where the boots hit the ground, where my fellow soldiers are closing with the enemy, where I feel I can make the most difference.

I joined because I always had a desire to become an officer.
To lead other men under extreme conditions appeals to me. But it's also about things like working with people at multiple levels, living in and by nature, to challenge myself, to feel like I´m making a difference for others, to help shape the future for young people. The confidence that I get from my marines is fantastic and it confirms to me that I have the best job in the world.

I joined the navy because I wanted to make a difference in the world, I knew that the Danish Navy were active in Somalia and in the Gulf of Aden, so I my hopes were (and still are) to go and prevent people from getting kidnapped by pirates.

That is my biggest goal in the navy, since my older brother sails those waters on civilian ships and I would not want him to be taken hostage.

Also I joined because I thought to myself "an 8-16 job? No thank you" (translation: 9-5 job), because I wanted to be challenged and because of the periods of leave I will get.

I grew up around warriors, every male in our family has or are serving in some shape or form.

My personal motives may have changed over time.
But what has always stayed at the core is the abbility to really affect peoples lives for the better.
One of the proudest days of my life are still to this day the first familly I and my Team managed to save and reunite in a wartorn balkan nation during my first UN stint.
They had all but given up on their loved one when we came bringing her back from a rather tough spot.
The expressions on their faces... Man THAT **** you have to live to understand.

Today I have worked damned hard to be were I´m at.
I wouldn´t give it up for anything, and yet I will have to when my time is up.
The bittersweet life of striving to be at the tip of the spear.

KJ sends..

Last edited:
I'm still anxiously waiting to be sent off :p
I signed the papers for the USAF because I'm smart and had nothing to prove it. I passed every test in high school and 2 yrs in college without doing any studying or homework. Got into drugs, sex, and mischief for a while (during college), everybody but my parents thought I was amazing (because they knew the truth).
I was tired of living with my parents but had no motivation to get out. I was stagnant. Then I met the love of my life and she made me want to be the best person I could ever be. I had no idea how to do that for her in the civilian world so taking after my uncles and father, I decided to do my country and lover proud and join the military. I passed every test the USAF could throw at me with flying colors and am going in as a Cryptologic Linguist (Cat IV).
I joined the military to prove to myself, my girlfriend, my parents, and the world that I CAN be the best that I can be, and I'm not just a sad story of what could have been.

Back