Why Demonize The Leaders You Didn't Vote For?

godofthunder9010

Just a thought: Something that I've noticed again. Many outspoken indivuals are constantly creating new descriptions for how evil and/or stupid that President George W Bush is. The same thing occurred during Clinton's presidency. People who were of opposite political views were constantly berating the man. While Clinton did provide a legal basis to pursue, on the whole he was a good President. For the most part, George W has been a good President as well. So why does everyone feel the need to call names and call a standing president "Satan" or whatever else? All of it seems rather childish to me.

It's the rift between political parties and schools of thought. Brought on by the parties themselves.

I didn't like Clinton as a President I admit it. And I still do not believe he had the Courage of his Convictions concerning Foreign Policy issues.

But he was CINC and at least deserved the respect of that.

I've thought about this and concluded it comes from 2 things.

1) Each political party goes balls-out to do everything it can to make you believe that the other is absolute evil. Why? Because they want your votes. So like 2 modern Gerbels (sp? Nazi propoganda minister) they do everything in their power to manipulate Americans.

2) The "Boston vs. NY effect." The second part is that a huge ammount of Americans just enjoy the whole rivalry part of being either a democrat or a republican in the way that New Yorkers feel in a baseball match with Boston or Soccer hooligans feel about the other team. It feels real good to belong to a bunch of people who share your views (or more precisely that YOU share THEIR views). And it feels real good too to change the world and fight the forces of evil! (aka the other party)

In politics, I try to think of myself as a good sport about losing and I expect my party officials to do the same. Whoever wins does so because a preponderance of the public wants them elected.

Missileer said:
In politics, I try to think of myself as a good sport about losing and I expect my party officials to do the same. Whoever wins does so because a preponderance of the public wants them elected.
I think this hits close to what I'm getting at. The thing that annoys me is the people who are sore losers. Unfortunately, there are a lot of those types out there who prefer to whine and rant because their "team" lost.

Name calling is childish. However, criticism for things like lying and incompetence are something endemic to democracy and a necessary part of the process. Patriotism is not blind allegiance. In fact two of the US former presidents said that exact thing, Jefferson and T. Roosevelt. And for those that are just complaining without a basis for complaint other than just complaining Jefferson said a very appropriate thing when he said that "In a democracy people get the government they deserve."

I live in Los Angeles, so i get a heavier dose than those who dont live here. Its Bush's conservative ideals people call stupid and, ironically, satanic. I say ironically because Bush is an open Christian. Many people here believe that we, as a society, must always be moving forward. So any action that the president takes that is not labeled "progressive" is frowned upon.

Ive even heard people say that they dont like Bush because he is pushing his religious ideals into statute. This confuses me because, well, SO HAVE THE REST OF OUR PRESIDENTS. I really dont understand this anti-religion movement in Hollywood today. But hey, they have money and i dont, so they win.

WOW! REALLY....MUST BE REALLY TRUE BECAUSE YOU USE ALL-CAPS!
LIEK OMG! ROX0R!

godofthunder9010 said:
Just a thought: Something that I've noticed again. Many outspoken indivuals are constantly creating new descriptions for how evil and/or stupid that President George W Bush is. The same thing occurred during Clinton's presidency. People who were of opposite political views were constantly berating the man. While Clinton did provide a legal basis to pursue, on the whole he was a good President. For the most part, George W has been a good President as well. So why does everyone feel the need to call names and call a standing president "Satan" or whatever else? All of it seems rather childish to me.

people will always ***** about things....it's what they do. and probably the biggest single thing that bush has done (at least in my eyes) is to polarise the American public like never before....AND he did it in war time, when the US people traditionally bind together the most. that says quite alot to me.

this also shows the flaws in having (for all intents and puropses) a two party system.

chewie_nz said:
LIEK OMG! ROX0R!

Dude, I was quoting the liberal John Stewart who was making a joke about the partisanship in the last election.

Admin edit: Watch the language please!

maybe you should of explaned the joke for those of us who dont live in the US.

and did the guy you quoted use all-caps as well?

chewie_nz said:

Agree with that.
And no name calling please!

Thanks. :)

Redleg said:
chewie_nz said:

Agree with that.
And no name calling please!

Thanks. :)

Alright, noted... but you couldn't possibly believe that John Kerry ever wanted to create free gay healthcare for terrorists!

chewie_nz said:
LIEK OMG! ROX0R!

Or you could have not just made yourself look less then intelligent and calmly said, "Are you implying that you think that is completely true because you are using all caps?" or whatever you were actually trying to get across by typing that.

Thanks....

Oh yeah, lesson learned - cite when you quote, or don't make it obvious that someone else said it... or something - depending on the quote.

Back