Why is China being against the US-S.Korea joint military exercise?

powerfulguy

With Joint US-South Korea military exercise planned for the near future, China has stepped in and warned the two nations not to go ahead with it. China claims that the joint military exercise in the Yellow Sea would be a threat Chinese security and also warned the US warships from being a target if they ever entered the Yellow Sea.
It is a bit awkward for China to be making such a statement when the US-South Korea has been doing such excercise numerous times in the past. Also when the exercise is to be held technically within South Korean waters. Why is China suddenly eager to be against this drill? It doesn't make sense. Maybe China is doing a favor for North Korea for something in return.
The Joint exercise's sole purpose is to keep peace in East Asia. It is also for suppressing North Korea for making any additional surprise attacks against the South.
China's interrupting of the peace keeping effort of US and South Korea is just simply wrong.

Why is China being against the US-South Korean joint military exercise?
http://poll.fm/22gaj
1. Infringement of South Korean sovereignty
2. China just being a bully
3. Something related to North Korea
4. I have no idea

The PRC/PLAN is not in favor of any demonstration of might by the USN. It doesn't matter if it is the Taiwan Straits in particular or the Yellow Sea in general. I guess it would be the same thing if some nation (not on the best of terms with the US or not from the western hemisphere) held a naval exercise in the Gulf of Mexico / Caribbean Sea.
President Obama sending more SSBNs to the western Pacific armed with Tomahawk Missiles is also displeasing the PLAN.

Thanks for your balanced reply, AVON.

A Can of Man: I guess if the PLAN sent warships to have a joint exercise near mexico or cuba the US can't signal its displeasure, too? If they do, then people can tell them to take a hike too eh?

A Can of Man: I guess if the PLAN sent warships to have a joint exercise near mexico or cuba the US can't signal its displeasure, too? If they do, then people can tell them to take a hike too eh?
yes, that sums it up while the high seas are still free.

Rattler

Thanks for your balanced reply, AVON.

Venezuala and others to include Russia have conducted joint excercises in the carib as long as they do not violate waters they are fine, matter of fact it's a good intel tool to analyze them.

Well the problem with the Yellow Sea exercise is that it involves gathering intel, and the danger there was that some of these ships will most likely be analyzing the waters of the Yellow Sea where the Chinese subs will be passing. That's not a "regular" drill as some would like us to believe. And the last time the US had a drill there was something like the 90s? Yes the US and S. Korea have been having wargames regularly, but not at the Yellow Sea.

I was under the impression that any foreign, relative-proximity military activity would warrant a complaint in some form or another; it's standard procedure?

Well the problem with the Yellow Sea exercise is that it involves gathering intel, and the danger there was that some of these ships will most likely be analyzing the waters of the Yellow Sea where the Chinese subs will be passing. That's not a "regular" drill as some would like us to believe. And the last time the US had a drill there was something like the 90s? Yes the US and S. Korea have been having wargames regularly, but not at the Yellow Sea.
Thats how the game is played. Thats how the game has always been played by everyone. China needs to get over it .

Hello 03USMC,

I would say that these kind of exercises are no games at all. They serve a very clear and known procedere - which at times can cause diplomatic tensions right up to a war.
Intel and elec.AMi gathering is extremly prone to "stepping over the line" and since the two Korea's are in kind of a tensioned state - therefore these actions (exercises) are not advisable or not smart at all, as for the present time.
China off course is not interested in some "defiant action" commited by whom ever, in it's backyard. And that is about all in regards to this issue.

Regards
Kruska

Remember the Cold War? Maybe not, everyone conducts excercises in everyones areas. As long as you don't violate their restricted waters all they can do is piss and moan.

Oh and I understand the difference in games and not games , but thanks ever so much for your explaination.

Remember the Cold War? Maybe not, everyone conducts excercises in everyones areas. As long as you don't violate their restricted waters all they can do is piss and moan.

Oh and I understand the difference in games and not games , but thanks ever so much for your explaination.
Hello 03USMC,

no prob. - you are welcomed :smile:

Cold war? - good that you seem to remember it - neither during the Czech or Hungarian uprising did the US and NATO stage any silly and provoking naval manouvers in the Black Sea - also no such exercise was conducted during the Cuba missile crisis.
NATO ready alert was given - and not an exercise conducted. The Korea situation at present is a kind of crisis and some seem to like to make a bigger crisis out of it.

H. Clinton's verbal and rethoric attack on the DPRK during this weeks Vietnam summit is good for what?? - besides making things worse. So far (even though I would not doubt it entirely) I have not seen any conviencing statement or report from an independent investigation that actually confirms that the DPRK torpedoed or whatever that Korean Frigatte.

At the same time she (aka US government) has nothing better to do but to bring up the Spratly Islands issue towards China - terming it an American matter!!! - simply ridiculous, see when China will make the Cuba issue a Chinese matter!!!
The world has a cause to take actions towards the DPRK for manifold reasons - does it need to be that of a war action?

Off course China will not be interested or even tollerate a war next to it's border conducted by the USA and neither will it need or accept US meddling in regards to its national interests such as the Spratly Islands.

Such as the US or the EU has clear objections towards others meddling in their affairs or national interests.

I think the US has by god - far more important matters to solve in your own country - your country is in shambles - to distract from internal problems via getting involved in a political crises, to create a political crises or even wage a war outside - is a very old political receipee applied mostly by desperate power-greedy countries or dictators.

The DPRK is an Asian matter, (or has the DPRK a military capability that can strike the USA?) and as such it needs to be dealt with by Asian countries - if they want to invite the US - then that is an option.

Todays China (1988) is a very open and friendly country - it has never opposed or protested against US Forces being stationed in Korea or Japan - China recognizes the present alliance between these countries and the USA, but China will certainly oppose and protest towards any action that is deemed to create frictions and tensions within what it or any other contry on this planet regards as it's national interests and security.

Regards
Kruska

No one's going to war over some exercise.
Hello ACoM,

if the DPRK is as looney as we suspect - an exercise is just what they need to create further trouble or even cause losses - since they are very well aware that China will not tollerate military actions against the DPRK.

Unless Beijing and Washington D.C. have agreed on something that we two wouldn't know about.

Regards
Kruska

The DPRK being loony is a misconception.
Do you realize just what a miracle it is that Kim Jong-il is still in charge of North Korea? That is a work of a genius. An evil genius, but genius nonetheless.
They like to instill a sense of craziness to us because it instills fear. No one really wants to screw around with a guy who's actually really nuts.
But under all of that is a country ruled by a regime that is scared to death of its own implosion. It believes that it can still survive and as long as that belief survives, they are not going to do something truly over the top.
I think the reason why they took so damned long decide what to do about that RoKS Cheonan incident was probably because they didn't expect such high casualties in that attack. Previously they would be pretty vocal about "smashing the puppets of the evil Americans" but this time it was different.
Hopefully the next time they try to pull that sh1t off our guys will just sink all enemy vessels within range.
The bottom line is, North Korea is VERY much afraid of going to war. They practically know that if it comes down to that, they are finished.

Back