why castles were impenetrable...

--

July 16th, 2006  
Insomniac

Topic: why castles were impenetrable...

a castle was generally impenetrable because the technology hadnt evolved far enough to use explosives etc, etc. modern day tanks, explosives etc may be good for killing everyone inside but the moat would foil you until the engineers arrived. After the battle, you would generally want your castle in one pice to withstand the enemies that would come after you. A cruise missile would easily batter down and kill everything inside your besieged castle, but then you would be left minus a castle to use as a defendable position. Anyone know how to attack a castle modern day without destroying it?
July 17th, 2006  
OORAH

two words.

mustard gas.
July 18th, 2006  
istealfreefood

napalm would work too, but anything that wasnt stone would burn. so id say biowarfare would be pretty much the only answer. that is, without dropping troops inside of it. you could chopper them over and they could fast rope in. maybe a high precision HALO jump or something like that.
--
July 18th, 2006  
AussieNick

Create a breach the old fashioned way like the British at Badajoz, then storm the breach..... Glorious

Or..... You could try infiltration as a technique
Or..... Psyops
Or..... Dislocation

There are many methods to defeat an enemy other than killing them.
July 18th, 2006  
Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieNick
There are many methods to defeat an enemy other than killing them.
yeah i kno....

one of the probs with bio-warfare is that there would be one hell of a mess if the wind was wrong etc...
July 19th, 2006  
AussieNick

Quote:
one of the probs with bio-warfare is that there would be one hell of a mess if the wind was wrong etc...
I would never, ever justify or support use of chemical or biological warfare.
It can be done, through unconventional warfare.....
Killing or maiming isn't always the best way to do things. We practice the art of psycological torment with our foes a lot in Australian tactics, and it works wonders.
July 19th, 2006  
Venom PL

There is also a non-lethal way. When surrounded and cut-off from supplies, sunner or later they would be forced to surrender or starved to death.
July 20th, 2006  
LeEnfield

Gas, Bugs,Starvation, thirst. These days you could drill down to the water level in the ground and pump oil down into it, my it makes it taste awful
August 9th, 2006  
Mohmar Deathstrike

VX gas, LRADs, maybe a neutron bomb detonating hundreds of meters above the castle, and finally a siege with AA weapons so it can't be resupplied by air.
August 9th, 2006  
Team Infidel

LRADs are a line of site devise and used best on water. I used them on land, and they don't work so well.

Best way to defeat them.. Take away there will to fight. Starve them out. Don't allow anything to come or go. Put loud speaker teams all over the place and blast music to them.

Babies crying at 3 in the morning for a hour or more.

PSYOPS

Print false articles in the local paper to discredit them.