Why is ‘abstract idea’ like Wikipedia?

coberst

“Subject” is a word defining the human locus of consciousness, experience, reason, and will; “subject” is our human “essence” and everything that makes us who we uniquely are.

“Object” is a word defining something material that may be perceived by the senses.

I define these two words because there are many different definitions for these words but this is the definition I am using for these words in this discourse.

The qualities acquired by objects through association are what are normally called their expression. In the form or material of objects “there is one object with its emotional effect, in expression there are two, and the emotional effect belongs to the character of the second or suggested one.”

Many or perhaps most “things” that we find to be meaningful are objectified abstract concepts.

Examples of concrete concepts: the infant feeling warm and secure while being held following birth; being repelled by foul smelling stuff; the burden of carrying heavy stuff; observing the rise of milk in the measuring cub while watching mother make corn bread; noting that Grandma needs support while walking; getting knowledge while examining a tree.

Examples of abstract concepts: feeling warm when around my best fiend; telling a friend that the movie stinks; the feeling of being weighed down by troubles; the sense that stock prices are too high; I feel good when I support the troops; seeing a distant problem that might result.

Most of our concepts are abstract concepts and they are constructed from our concrete concepts. The more complex, broad, and sophisticated that our life style is the larger, more complex and sophisticated are our abstract concepts. Most of our concepts dealing with freedom, morality, politics, religion, justice, and history are abstract concepts.

Quotes from The Sense of Beauty: Being The Outlines of Aesthetic Theory by George Santayana

...The qualities acquired by objects through association are what are normally called their expression. ,,,

Come out of your (hard labour) cupboard for a sec and prove (Wittgenstein sounds familiar?) that you really do understand a sentence like this one (because its not *that* easy) and I am willing to take up a discussion.

- What are the qualities you believe the author refers to when saying they are aquired by objects? Are you insinuating that objects *act* acitvely, by themselves? Through association? Or is it the association of the subject that perceives an object that makes the object aquire certain qualities, out of magic?

- "normally" ... in your lingo means...?

- "Expression": Active profilieration of an object or rahter what the observer perceives (Impression)?

etc., etc...

As I currently believe you (coberst) do not have the faintest clue about what the exact meaning of what you are quoting here is, I wont.

Back to my eremitage,

Rattler

Last edited:
ATTN Forumites: Agenda?

Afer watching "coberst"´s posting pattern for some time now, some things are obvious, some allow speculation:

- He is either a citation robot or alive and kicking
- He reacts to incoming by posting more quotes
- His quotes always relay to published stuff by "modern" thinkers (i.e. ppl that try and use words in their essence of meaning, hence some of his quotes are so hard to understand, we tend to become sloppy about *exact* word meanings in daily life)
- He does not significantly respond to forumites input/ractions to his posts
- It does not bother him at all that people call him nuts

Makes me wonder:

- Robot (not an expert, might well be anyway)? Some aspects of the above could easily be associated with what is widely assumed to represent robotical attitudes or robotic ways to actuate/behaviour, especially refusing to react on feedback ...

- Reaction baiting? (... like equivalent to Candid Camera, just in forums; could well be we will find all our responses discussed in the near future in a philosophical/sociological project on another web site, e.g.), so: Might be a good idea to think before replyimg, or do not answer at all.

- Inflated Ego in combination with an inferiority complex? Like: Give me uniform, and I will cite how the world has to be ruled?

Just contemplating some oddities I perceive,

Rattler

P.S.: Cannot express myself subtly enough in English, German is my language for Philosophy, sorry...

Last edited:
P.S.: Cannot express myself subtly enough in English, German is my language for Philosophy, sorry...
I think that you have done admirably well in expressing your feelings.At least your comments are more rational and useful than those copied and pasted in by our "posting Robot"

Why is Root Beer called Beer, I ask myself...........but like these musings it matters little.

“Subject” is a word defining the human locus of consciousness, experience, reason, and will; “subject” is our human “essence” and everything that makes us who we uniquely are.

“Object” is a word defining something material that may be perceived by the senses.

I define these two words because there are many different definitions for these words but this is the definition I am using for these words in this discourse.

The qualities acquired by objects through association are what are normally called their expression. In the form or material of objects “there is one object with its emotional effect, in expression there are two, and the emotional effect belongs to the character of the second or suggested one.”

Many or perhaps most “things” that we find to be meaningful are objectified abstract concepts.

Examples of concrete concepts: the infant feeling warm and secure while being held following birth; being repelled by foul smelling stuff; the burden of carrying heavy stuff; observing the rise of milk in the measuring cub while watching mother make corn bread; noting that Grandma needs support while walking; getting knowledge while examining a tree.

Examples of abstract concepts: feeling warm when around my best fiend; telling a friend that the movie stinks; the feeling of being weighed down by troubles; the sense that stock prices are too high; I feel good when I support the troops; seeing a distant problem that might result.

Most of our concepts are abstract concepts and they are constructed from our concrete concepts. The more complex, broad, and sophisticated that our life style is the larger, more complex and sophisticated are our abstract concepts. Most of our concepts dealing with freedom, morality, politics, religion, justice, and history are abstract concepts.

Quotes from The Sense of Beauty: Being The Outlines of Aesthetic Theory by George Santayana
Because people with crazy imaginations come on and change stuff on Wikipedia making in only semi reliable.

Back