Who's fault is the Deepwater Horizon oil spill?

perseus

I am no friend of big Oil, however, you would think the way Obama was ranting, it was BPs, yes they are legally responsible but how much can they be morally blamed? Is it part of an anti-British pro-US stance here?
In fact there are five companies connected to the disaster, including Cameron the manufacturer of the failed blowout preventer. (BTW Now why didn't we have that company name all over the UK newspapers over the past week? To avoid a bad connection with someone else in the electorates feeble mind? The right wing media protects its own!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwater_Horizon_drilling_rig_explosion

Last edited:
Timing of this "accident" seems interesting. Can't believe that safeties were not in place to prevent the spill we are seeing. Even with the fire, there should be some way to stop the oil coming out of the ground.

To answer perseus. Before we pass judgment on who is responsible, lets see what the investigation reveals. I know that the British have been pumping oil out of the north sea for a while and I am not currently aware of any major spill. So it begs the question, what are the Brits doing different to prevent "accidents" than the U.S. is?

I don't know who is responsible, but it seems BP benefits in the long run if the US backpedals and President Obama does not allow off shore drilling.

Another possible theory is, it is a clandestine attack on America by the British government. Maybe a payback for the Revolution.

I am sure there is a more plausible reason than a industrial accident.:confused:

I've heard some right wingers proclaim it is "an act of God" and are trying (in vain) to compare it to Katrina. They REALLY just don't know when to keep their mouths shut, do they?

I've heard some right wingers proclaim it is "an act of God" and are trying (in vain) to compare it to Katrina. They REALLY just don't know when to keep their mouths shut, do they?
If anything, I'd consider it "an act of God" that after Obama approved the offshore drilling, that there was a huge oil disaster! :-D But in all honesty, from what I can tell it was a freak accident.

Best one I read lately was NK torpedos.
Involved SK ownership in some of the processes.

unprecedented mess, whatever caused it.

Friend of mine in the business claims it was an explorative rig and did not have all the safeties of a production rig.

The event happened so fast that the safeties did not deploy effectively.

he rig apparently rests on the hole.

Plug it now and blame later.

Best one I read lately was NK torpedos.
Involved SK ownership in some of the processes.

unprecedented mess, whatever caused it.

Friend of mine in the business claims it was an explorative rig and did not have all the safeties of a production rig.

The event happened so fast that the safeties did not deploy effectively.

he rig apparently rests on the hole.

Plug it now and blame later.

Ahhhhhh. Thanks for the info MikeP.

So let me get this straight. Pres Obama approves offshore drilling. Then we have this "accident". Hmmmmmmmm. Maybe we should lay it at the feet of the ELF or North Koreans. Here is a thought. It was the illegal immigrants. They swam out to the rig :dive: and sabatoged it beacuse of the new law in Arizona.

Chuckpike.
LOL the Brits, destroy a rig that is owned in majority by a british company as payback for the fight for independance. Wow. Thats IS good.

Ahhhhhh. Thanks for the info MikeP.

So let me get this straight. Pres Obama approves offshore drilling. Then we have this "accident". Hmmmmmmmm. Maybe we should lay it at the feet of the ELF or North Koreans. Here is a thought. It was the illegal immigrants. They swam out to the rig :dive: and sabatoged it beacuse of the new law in Arizona.

Interesting possibility. We do know illegals train hard for the swim across the Rio Grande River.
Chuckpike.
LOL the Brits, destroy a rig that is owned in majority by a british company as payback for the fight for independance. Wow. Thats IS good.

That was to get the oil slick to land. The "oily slick" would make it possible for the invasion force to slide 50 miles inland in no time.

In history the English took a terrible loss getting bogged down outside of New Orleans. What better payback than to slide through the area?;)

Interesting possibility. We do know illegals train hard for the swim across the Rio Grande River.

That was to get the oil slick to land. The "oily slick" would make it possible for the invasion force to slide 50 miles inland in no time.

In history the English took a terrible loss getting bogged down outside of New Orleans. What better payback than to slide through the area?;)

I've been to Louisiana. Can't say I liked it. Why go that route? They could wait until the next hurricane and sail right through with New Orleans being underwater. Just a thought. :horsie:

Well since BP has said its theirs, as far as I'm concerned its theirs......all theirs, you see I deal with Fabrication and construction for schools, which means I deal in child safety on playgrounds, I put MY name as inspector after a contractor builds a playground, so if anything is substandard or not safe its MY responsibility to make sure its repaired or otherwise made safe before a child gets hurt or killed, same, same in the bigger world too.

It should be the owners responsibility to make sure EVERYTHING is up to safety standards. they make enough money off of me to speand a few pennies and make it safe.

Can't help thinking that I've not heard the "Drill baby, drill" quote since the explosion - Sarah found a new soundbite?

As for responsibility; lets start with us as consumers, then march forward to our elected representatives (who we allow to be bribed by commercial interests, all in the name of protecting profits). Then we can really start to move up the food chain to those that are elected to protect and represent our interests - the "free press", as self appointed defenders of liberty they have done such a stonking job of cosying up with the establishment; both political and commercial. Then we can finally talk about the Oil conglomerates, who have 3-5 billion in profits per quarter!!

Why didn't they have some kind of recovery / protection operation ready to go, after all if history has taught us anything it is Murphy's law is always in play - even if you hope that you aren't!

Bill Maher said everyone who's ever chanted "Drill baby, drill!" should have to report to the coast for clean up duty.

I couldn't agree more.

With President Obama and the Democrat lead Congress opening up the east coast and Caribbean to additional drilling, do you now think they should change their minds and stop it?

President Obama wants to reduce the US energy dependence on foreign countries. Should he now say we will just buy from other countries and pollute their shores?

Should he change his whole energy policy based on this accident? It is not like this type of accident could not have been foreseen. He was ready to except the risks last month, what has changed?

I'm torn about the "Drill Baby Drill" thing, since I need gas to go to work and support my family, I am all for drilling our own oil instead of supporting somebody else's country. But at the same time I don;t want to see the U.S. Coast be destroyed in the process. therefore the one thing I do stand for FULLY is a safer way to get the oil out of the ground. One that is 100% safe to the people drilling and pumping, AND the environment. that is until they make a total electric vehicle that never needs to be plugged into a electrical outlet.

With President Obama and the Democrat lead Congress opening up the east coast and Caribbean to additional drilling, do you now think they should change their minds and stop it?

President Obama wants to reduce the US energy dependence on foreign countries. Should he now say we will just buy from other countries and pollute their shores?

Should he change his whole energy policy based on this accident? It is not like this type of accident could not have been foreseen. He was ready to except the risks last month, what has changed?
I have been against drilling (be it on shore or off shore) since I was able to comprehend it. With all of our advancements in entertainment technology, we should be able to find alternative fuel sources with relative ease.

**Accept, not except**

Personally I think wind energy, hydro-electric, and solar power is WAY better than ANY petroleum product we could ever get ahold of.

See, the wind farms can leak and spill and no environmental damage is done, PLUS the wind farm require very little maint outside of regularly scheduled maint. AND if they take off useing the Natural world as a power supply, my power bill should go down

I have been against drilling (be it on shore or off shore) since I was able to comprehend it. With all of our advancements in entertainment technology, we should be able to find alternative fuel sources with relative ease.

**Accept, not except**
Entertainment technology????

Back