Who's the best polls

DSumner

I new to the site (only two days) but I've noticed a number of "who's the best" type posts. I'm sure most of these are posted by good intentioned youngsters, they really serve no purpose and just tend to get people arguing back and forth, and generally making themselves look silly to those who have a wee bit more experience under their belts.

Most of these little "debates" seem to consist of whose better Army SF, Rangers, Navy SEALs, etc. If you really want to know what a particlular unit is like, head down to your recruiter, cut a contract, and volunteer for that particular unit. I'm not say that to get into a pi**ing contest with anyone, I just don't like to see guys talking a lot of smack without them having a clue. Just becuase you read a book or saw something on TV does not make you an expert.

Just becuase your best friend's next door neigher's cousin says he really in Delta (if he was he sure wouldn't be telling you) and he'd have to kill you if he told you about any of his missions, does not mean its true.

you have a LOT of people running around know a days claiming to have done this that and the other and giving out a lot of bad (i.e. false0 info.

The perfect example I can think of is a guy told me that his friend told him he just got back from basic and that he fired an RPG-7, and qualified on a .45. I'm like ???. The Army does not even use .45 anymore, and you sure don't fire an RPG. With his vast military experience (he's 15) he tries to argue me down with "maybe they just didn't do it where you went to basic". I had to kindly point out I'm one of the instructors for my NG Bn's REP-63 (DEP) program and we have the entire US Army Basic Combat Training POI, before he would finally backdown.

These little discussion only add fuel to fire by throwing in misinformation, conjecture, and a lot of WAG.

Just a word of advice gents, If you have an interest in the military and want to ask a question do so, but sit back and listen to the guys that know what they are talking about and leave the polls alone. ;)

I will now stop my rants, put away my soap box and let you all return to the fun stuff.

Dominique Sumner

Hi DSumner, and welcome to the forum.

Good post, and points.

I have allowed these kind of posts just out of curiosity to the replies (and for the entertainment value of some of them.. ;) ).

If anyone wants to post polls like this again they are welcome, but I wont let them go as far as a couple of them has gone before...

Redleg said:
Hi DSumner, and welcome to the forum.

Good post, and points.

I have allowed these kind of posts just out of curiosity to the replies (and for the entertainment value of some of them.. ;) ).

If anyone wants to post polls like this again they are welcome, but I wont let them go as far as a couple of them has gone before...

Thanks for the kind welcome. :oops: Like I said, I don't want to come in hear and act like a bull in a china shop, or brow beat anyone. Everyone has a favorite unit or a case of "my unit is the best" (my self included ;) ), but most of the polls just seem to degenerate into arguing matches. That's the problem I see with to many military related message baords, and I'd like to find one where people can come, find out some good RELIABLE information for entertainment, or to help them make an informed choice about their future career (hopefully this is one of those sites.)

DSumner said:
That's the problem I see with to many military related message baords, and I'd like to find one where people can come, find out some good RELIABLE information for entertainment, or to help them make an informed choice about their future career (hopefully this is one of those sites.)

I hope this forum can be that too...
Some other reasons why I have allowed polls like this is that there can actually be posted some good information in them, and the wannabees can get a slap on their fingers and a heads up from more experienced forum members.
(this has been the case in almost all of these kind of polls here..)

Back