Whoa Horsie.

Achilles

Banned
An ironic history lesson, at custers last stand, all but one horse were slain. That horse escaped and found it way home. Heres the odd part, the horses name was the name of the tribe that attacked custer and the chief of that tribe was Crazy Horse, and Sitting Bull. I found the way this story came out hilariuos. post ypur thoughts

heres a small on-line story about comanche, the horse that survived little big horn.

One thing though...comanche didnt go home, he was found on the battle site. They were going to put him down, due to his wounds, but the commanding officer of the outfit that found custer belayed the order, and had him returned to the post.

In those 17 years after little Big Horn..he was never ridden again.

http://www.custerslaststand.org/source/comanche.html

:horsie:

When a post is deleted, it subtracts the milbucks earned by the poster for making it, so it doesn't exactly penalize you, it puts you back where you were before you ever made the post.

We still do use them for some D&C purposes, the last actual horse cavalry charge was in the Phillipines in the opening years of WWII.

The US Army pretty much closed out horsed units (Cavalry and FA) in mid 1942, but kept horses around as pack animals (supply and mountain FA) until the 1960s. BTW, the name of the horse in question was Comanche, but the name of the Indian Tribe that removed Custer from the ranks (and 1/2 the 7th Cav) was Sioux (well, most of them were from the Sioux Nation anyway).

Gunner,

>> BTW, the name of the horse in question was Comanche, but the name of the Indian Tribe that removed Custer from the ranks (and 1/2 the 7th Cav) was Sioux (well, most of them were from the Sioux Nation anyway). <<

I agree...I haven't run across any Comanche natives at LBH (it is one of my hobbies). Lots of other tribes, though...poster was probably thinking of Cheyenne.

Comanche was named such by a trooper in Miles Keogh's company, who said when the horse was first wounded, that it "screamed like a Comanche!" The name stuck. BTW, Comanche was wounded a couple times in earlier indian fights while under Keogh before the LBH battle.

Clair Conzelman,

Thanks for filling in the pertinent details :D

I knew most of the details on Comanche, but now we all know more. As I recall, Comanche outlived most of the rest of the 7th Cavalry (human and otherwise) by many years. After LBH, he was present at each ceremonial parade by the 7th Cavalry, saddled but without a rider in memory of the great loss the regiment suffered.

Gunner,

>> As I recall, Comanche outlived most of the rest of the 7th Cavalry (human and otherwise) by many years. After LBH, he was present at each ceremonial parade by the 7th Cavalry, saddled but without a rider in memory of the great loss the regiment suffered. <<

True...I have a model of Comanche on my desk at work here, with Cavalry tack on. It came with a short video tape with Kris Kristoferson as a Cav Sgt telling the horse's story as the horse died with his head on the Sgt's lap. Great little production...sure to bring tears to any cavalryman. ;)

Clair

Back