WHO WAS THIS?

Del Boy

Which American said to the English :- " I was a stranger and you took me in."?

Last edited:
Hey you rascals - I did say which 'American' ! Don't worry - I won't be quoting the bible at you. I am very poorly versed on that score.

So, we are looking for a real life American and this is true, not a trick question.

I guess the American may have known he was quoting from the bible, but he was not preaching - far from it.

Hey you rascals - I did say which 'American' ! Don't worry - I won't be quoting the bible at you. I am very poorly versed on that score.

So, we are looking for a real life American and this is true, not a trick question.

I guess the American may have known he was quoting from the bible, but he was not preaching - far from it.

You can quote from the Bible and not preach.

Thanks, but I cannot do either, actually.
I was just talking about this quote and I recorded a fact to help - he wasn't preaching, that's all. Just a pointer, away from that direction.

Last edited:
OK guys.

It was Henry Ford.

When he brought his first car production to England, he opened up a plant in a little village near London, Dagenham.

The local Mayor assumed Henry must be a great philanthropist and so wrote and asked if he would kindly donate £10,000 towards the building of an old peoples home. Ford didn't reply, but nothing daunted, the Mayor wrote again, reducing it to £5000. Again, no reply. Embarrassed, the Mayor gave it some thought, and knowing Henry was on his way over to open his plant, announced that Henry Ford had made this grand donation.

Henry Ford arrived and was faced with this fait -accompli!

Having considered the situation, Henry Ford did not want to lose face; he agreed to pay, dependant upon one proviso.

They had to inscribe over the door of the building:-

'I WAS A STRANGER AND YOU TOOK ME IN'.

Last edited:
Good try. The truth is interesting ; he was Don Maquis 1878 - 1937. He never used capitals because he produced wondrous verse supposedly by a cat called Mehitable who could not operate the upper-case typewriter key!

I spotted one called 'pete at the seashore' by ' pete the pup'.

Funny old world, ain't it?

OK. Another American.

An alcoholic and laudanum addict, he still managed to join his local Temperance Society to lecture others on the evils of drink.

Who was this?

Back