WHO WAS THIS?

Sorry to take so long with this one but my computer crashed and have been trying to recover a lot of my work.
This shouldn't be too hard, while he was in command of Guantanamo Bay, what did Rear Admiral John D. Bulkeley have erected on the site in retaliation to the Cubans.
Here's a hint, its not the water purification plant but it is also still there today.

He constructed a giant shield of the Marine Corps insignia illuminated with flood lights as a reminder of American presence on Cuba.

He constructed a giant shield of the Marine Corps insignia illuminated with flood lights as a reminder of American presence on Cuba.

That is indeed what he constructed however, as for the floodlights you refer to. These were erected by the Cubans opposite the Marines Bunker near the entry gate and when switched on at night, would blind the Marines. In other words a case of phsycological warfare.
Rear Admiral Bulkeley had the USMC emblem created during the day so that when the Cubans switched the lights on the following night, it illuminated the emblem thereby causing the phsycological effect to backfire. He was a cunning old bugger highly respected by both Navy and Marines and if you ever get to read The Daring Exploits of John D. Bulkeley Sea Wolf by William D. Breuer, I highly recomend it.
Your turn Monty

Ok this thread is well out of my comfort zone but I will throw out an easy question so things can move on...

[SIZE=-1]"Facts can obscure the truth"

[/SIZE]This is part of a quote, what is the rest of the quote and who said it?

This was American author Maya Angelou and she said 'There's a world of difference between truth and facts. Facts can obscure the truth.

OK, here we go.

Who coined the phrase 'Naughty but nice'? :lol:

This was American author Maya Angelou and she said 'There's a world of difference between truth and facts. Facts can obscure the truth.

OK, here we go.

Who coined the phrase 'Naughty but nice'? :lol:

My first wife. It went something like this:

"Richard, I've been naughty while you were deployed. It'll be nice to divorce your ass."

:cens:

:eek:fftopic:

:drunkb:

My first wife. It went something like this:

"Richard, I've been naughty while you were deployed. It'll be nice to divorce your ass."

-------------------

Nice try Az. Unfortunately history has not yet spoken on that one - until now.;-)

However, altho the quote sounds innocuous - the answer is an interesting one and surprising! The answer is much more significant than the quote.
A lot of people think he is so naughty they are after his blood. No joke!

Justin - you have it. Author Salman Rushdie, sentenced to death by an Islamic Fatwa instruction for writing his book Satanic Verses, previously coined the phrase for television advertising of fresh cream in confectionery etc. Despite that, he still lives!

Your turn.

This was Amiel. Henre Frederic Amiel.

OK - who was this - Who once painted his golf balls red so he could play in the snow?

Sorry for taking so long but not easy finding a quote thats not easily found on Google. :-(

"As they dissapeared over the hill again, they looked like the bandits you see in Westerns, stinking, dirty and bedraggled. Yet they had an air about them that I'd never forget.
We carried the same weapons and rations, but they were men and we were boys"

Back