White Star Line and the WWs.

Yossarian

Forum Resistance Leader
Very simple topic, I am seeking good sources about the now Merged White Star Line ( It merged with it's long time competitor Cunard in the 30s.) and it's repurposing of ocean liners into troop carriering service during both World War's.

I find it interesting that the vessels performed quite well as troop carriers and wish to know more about thier service under the British Admirality during the duration of both World Wars.

Ship Names and years of service would be greatly appeciated.

Also I wonder was it was like shipping off to Europe onboard a large converted luxury liner?

Well think of all thousands of soldiers that they carried at one time and just try to imagine how they packed them all in

What is amazing is looking inside any of the old ocean liners, pictures of the luxorious inside of the RMS Olympic before the first World War for example, and wondering how that was all changed to cram in thousands of American Soldiers, and the clutter of the weather decks with spot lights and munitions to look for prowling U Boats.

And how quickly after both WWs that these ships were refitted and returned to normal service.

It's a excellent display of British Inguenity during those era's.

Last edited:
The Britannic never carried a fare paying passenger, she was used as a hospital ship during WW1 during the Gallipoli campaign. On her way back to collect more wounded, she was sunk either by a mine or a torpedo. She went down in a matter of minutes as all of her port holes were wide open to allow fresh air into the wards.

Violet Jessop was a nurse on board the Britannic, whom by the way survived the sinking of the Titanic (she was engaged as a steward), the collision of the Olympic (again engaged as a steward) with HMS Hawke.

As an aside, when Violet got into a life boat as the the Titanic was sinking, she was handed a baby, and asked to care for her. After being rescued she handed the baby over to the authorities. Many years later in her 80 something year, one night her phone rang, she answered the call and was asked if she was Violet Jessop, when she said she was the voice on the other end said, "I was the baby you saved." and rang off. She told a good friend of the call, who replied that it was children messing around, Violet stated that she had never told that story to anyone even her good friend.

only one I can think of was built by Cunard. the RMS Carpathia. which rescued the Titanic survivors. sunk by a Uboat on July 17, 1918

http://www.numa.net/press/092200a.html

carpathia-1.jpg

Titanic-sinking-03-Carpathia.jpg

As my date for leaving Singapore for posting back to UK was approaching, there were a lot of rumours going around that instead of flying familes and personnel out, they were going to send us all home by troop ship. I quite fancied a 6 week cruise, giving me time to work on my sun tan. I was most put out when I had to fly back by VC10.

Back