White House-friendly reporter under scrutiny - Page 2

--
Boots

March 7th, 2005  
k19

so let's watch CBC then, surely is different than FOX, CBS, CNN, and NBC......
March 9th, 2005  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by k19
Of course, this is what I hate about America, Freedom of the Press, sure it is needed but still, NBC might have killed the presiding judge in the trial of Saddam because of their stupidity.
March 9th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabal
What I really don't like about US Politicians is the bi-partisan divide that often led to a series of name calling, that is quite embarassing for the American Public. But not all US Politicians tend go towards a more bitter tone.
Bush doesn't and look at how popular that got him :-/
--
Boots
March 11th, 2005  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabal
What I really don't like about US Politicians is the bi-partisan divide that often led to a series of name calling, that is quite embarassing for the American Public. But not all US Politicians tend go towards a more bitter tone.
Bush doesn't and look at how popular that got him :-/
Perhaps you have forgotten about the "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth."
March 12th, 2005  
r031Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
Quote:
Originally Posted by k19
Of course, this is what I hate about America, Freedom of the Press, sure it is needed but still, NBC might have killed the presiding judge in the trial of Saddam because of their stupidity.
Damn that freedom of speech hey?
March 12th, 2005  
Charge 7

Doesn't like freedom of speech, huh? Somebody gag him. I'm sure he won't mind.
March 19th, 2005  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
Doesn't like freedom of speech, huh? Somebody gag him. I'm sure he won't mind.
Do I need to give a little lesson to you about the difference between Freedom of Speech and Freedom of the Press? I never said anything about Freedom of Speech, nice try at being funny though, really, I would give you a cookie but I do not know where you live.
March 19th, 2005  
Charge 7

Your attempt at humour fell much flatter, PFC.

You actually think there is a difference between freedom of the press and freedom of speech? Exactly how would freedom of speech be extended without freedom of the press? Stand out on a mountaintop, yell as loud as you can and hope everybody gets the message?

How important freedom of the press/speech is (for they are the same thing) can be illustrated in the words of Thomas Jefferson:

"Given a choice of a country with no freedom of the press and a strong government or a country with freedom of the press and no government I should choose the latter."

And that was from a man hounded by the press.

Do I think the press goes too far at times? Of course I do, but guess what? That's part and parcel in the equation. Freedom of press/speech is meaningless unless you include that which you don't like to hear.
March 20th, 2005  
Damien435

Freedom of Speech applies to the individual, Freedom of the Press applies to an organization of people called the press.

Oh, and my "humour" was meant to fall flat.
March 20th, 2005  
Charge 7

But nobody without freedom of the press would be heard much beyond a few blocks if it weren't for freedom of the press. Freedom of the press is an extension of freedom of speech and one cannot exist without the other. You can quibble about niceties of who is who but the press is the vehicle for the freedom of speech. You might as well say that people can travel freely but they can't use any kind of vehicle to get there as analogy to what you would wish.